• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Jar Head

SgtUSMC

I was referring to "The Great Santini" post by the way.

Swafford is a Professor in Iowa or something now I believe and clearly portrays the negatives of the Corps at the time often. The question is whether or not he depicts any of the good things about the Corps.

BlazeUSMC

Belligerent Arm Swing!
Jarhead

I have both read the book and seen the movie. It is definitely not as good as FMJ but it is still a good movie simply for the fact that it depicts marine life very realistically from a grunt's perspective. I guess the phrase "We don't promise you a rose garden" is depicted through the movie. But definitely read the book. Semper Fi.

sector

I saw the movie the other day and while I was never a Marine I was in the Navy. I can't speak about the specific battle scenes or Marine temperment however, the feelings it describes are, in my opinion, accurate.

The movie and book I presume, are not necessarily about the actions of the Marine Corp during that period but more about how the author felt about what he was doing. I can remember thinking some of the exact thoughts he had regarding infidelity, bordom, and loneliness. The author is mearly expressing how he felt, not bashing anything.