• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

January/February 2015 SNA/NFO Board

mz247

This makes no sense, MEPS doesn't give physicals based on the designator you are going for, they give general military entrance physicals, the scheduling form just distinguishes between officer and enlisted candidates, if MEPS messed something up it is not on your recruiter it is on MEPS.

I thought so too, but apparently the eye exam is more in depth for pilot/NFO than it was for a regular officer physical. (Which makes perfect sense) I was just a little frustrated finding out a couple months after, that I still wasn't finished with MEPS. Plus I'm traveling over an hour each time I go for my physicals...this Friday will be my 5th time for MEPS visits. I just tell myself it'll be worth all the trouble.

exNavyOffRec

I thought so too, but apparently the eye exam is more in depth for pilot/NFO than it was for a regular officer physical. (Which makes perfect sense) I was just a little frustrated finding out a couple months after, that I still wasn't finished with MEPS. Plus I'm traveling over an hour each time I go for my physicals...this Friday will be my 5th time for MEPS visits. I just tell myself it'll be worth all the trouble.

nope, all are supposed to get the same, sometimes they forget depth perception as that isn't necessary on enlisted physicals, so it is MEPS not reading who the physical is for.

mz247

nope, all are supposed to get the same, sometimes they forget depth perception as that isn't necessary on enlisted physicals, so it is MEPS not reading who the physical is for.

Well that's extremely strange, but hey, if anyone needs an extra physical I got you covered ^_^

AttackCanary

So I'm trying to get a MEPS appointment scheduled for after January 11th (because of when I had LASIK) but before the next board (and in time to get all the paperwork back), ideally the 12th or 13th. I've been informed that I can't have an official appointment with confirmation until about 72 hours beforehand. Is this true? I would think they wouldgive you more of a heads up (especially since we are within 1 month now) to get all your paperwork/job arrangements/etc in order.

exNavyOffRec

So I'm trying to get a MEPS appointment scheduled for after January 11th (because of when I had LASIK) but before the next board (and in time to get all the paperwork back), ideally the 12th or 13th. I've been informed that I can't have an official appointment with confirmation until about 72 hours beforehand. Is this true? I would think they wouldgive you more of a heads up (especially since we are within 1 month now) to get all your paperwork/job arrangements/etc in order.

It is probably because they need to review all your documents, and they won't review them until 6 months after your surgery, MEPS has a 72 hour review period once documents are submitted.

AttackCanary

It is probably because they need to review all your documents, and they won't review them until 6 months after your surgery, MEPS has a 72 hour review period once documents are submitted.

Thank you for the information. So even if I have all of the documents related to LASIK now that I will have at the end of the 6 month period (no more appointments between now and then), I have to wait until the 6 month mark to even schedule an appointment? So the earliest I could possibly go would be the 14th or 15th?

exNavyOffRec

Thank you for the information. So even if I have all of the documents related to LASIK now that I will have at the end of the 6 month period (no more appointments between now and then), I have to wait until the 6 month mark to even schedule an appointment? So the earliest I could possibly go would be the 14th or 15th?

There are certain follow ups MEPS will want to see, I don't remember if one is a 6 month follow up, RUFIO would know, but you want to find out before submitting just to have them kicked back.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again

That's correct. So if you had LASIK surgery today, the earliest you can get a physical would be 6 months from now. As for the LASIK measurements, I believe all MEPS wants are the numbers for the PRE-OP, OP, and 2-3 post-OP refractive measurements on top of all the medical documents. Some MEPS' are different, but the one I use wants all the medical documents on top of a special form that the doctor fills out.

AttackCanary

That's correct. So if you had LASIK surgery today, the earliest you can get a physical would be 6 months from now. As for the LASIK measurements, I believe all MEPS wants are the numbers for the PRE-OP, OP, and 2-3 post-OP refractive measurements on top of all the medical documents. Some MEPS' are different, but the one I use wants all the medical documents on top of a special form that the doctor fills out.

Where can I get said "special form"? My recruiter has not mentioned one...
I understand that I cannot get my physical until the 6 month mark, but I believe NavyOffRec was implying I couldnt even make an appointment until after the 6 month mark (i.e. make an appointment now for a visit in January). Is that true?
I know I am probably going to be cutting it close as-is, so having a guaranteed appointment for as early as possible in January would be optimal.

KnightFlight

@RUFiO181 @NavyOffRec
I was told by someone who was selected for SNA to have the active duty pilots (USAF and USMC) that wrote me LORs, instead write me appraisals. When I asked my recruiter to send the pilots appraisal forms, he told me that only chaplains need appraisals. I was under the impression that an appraisal would hold more weight and be more beneficial than an LOR, is this not so? Should I just stick with the LORs or push for the appraisals? Thanks!

exNavyOffRec

I understand that I cannot get my physical until the 6 month mark, but I believe NavyOffRec was implying I couldnt even make an appointment until after the 6 month mark (i.e. make an appointment now for a visit in January). Is that true?
I know I am probably going to be cutting it close as-is, so having a guaranteed appointment for as early as possible in January would be optimal.

your MEPS may not have it, ours was locally generated.

some MEPS docs have different rules, if we submitted documents one day prior to the required wait they would reject them after reviewing them for 72 hours, then we would have to resubmit.

exNavyOffRec

@RUFiO181 @NavyOffRec
I was told by someone who was selected for SNA to have the active duty pilots (USAF and USMC) that wrote me LORs, instead write me appraisals. When I asked my recruiter to send the pilots appraisal forms, he told me that only chaplains need appraisals. I was under the impression that an appraisal would hold more weight and be more beneficial than an LOR, is this not so? Should I just stick with the LORs or push for the appraisals? Thanks!

Your ASTB scores are going to say more than any interview could, unless you have some moral issue in your background then LOR or appraisal would help, but in a LOR they have much more room to write about you.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Each MEPS is different. Your MEPS might not require a special form needing to be completed.

FormerRecruitingGuru

@RUFiO181 @NavyOffRec

Interviews/appraisals hold little weight for Pilot/NFO boards. You should be focusing on taking the ASTB if you haven't already. That and your GPA will be the biggest weight for these boards.

KnightFlight

Interviews/appraisals hold little weight for Pilot/NFO boards. You should be focusing on taking the ASTB if you haven't already. That and your GPA will be the biggest weight for these boards.
Your ASTB scores are going to say more than any interview could, unless you have some moral issue in your background then LOR or appraisal would help, but in a LOR they have much more room to write about you.
I retake my ASTB a week from today and I'm hoping to score much higher. There isn't anything I can do to change my GPA short from getting my masters degree, which would cause me to age out. I had my license suspended 6 years ago for having alcohol in my system (not a DUI), so I do have a moral issue in my background. I've already had my waiver approved for this, but should I also have an appraisal interview for this incident, or will a LOR suffice?