• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Jan/Feb/Mar Boards

g7rant63

FS SNA - OCS 15 APR
What if the officer has literally known you for your entire life and writes you an LOR? Would that get tossed or does it actually add some weight to a package?

I would definately jump on that opportunity. LOR's are a great application booster, especially from someone who knows the military. I had two retired AF Lt. Col's who were also my professors in college, write for me. I dont know for sure if my Pro-Rec was from that, but it sure didnt hurt.

exNavyOffRec

What if the officer has literally known you for your entire life and writes you an LOR? Would that get tossed or does it actually add some weight to a package?
refer to my earlier post, it goes along with what g7rant63 wrote, as those are near ideal people.

tptwomey

Pro-rec'd SNA Feb 2, 2012
So I just got back from the MEPS and everything went very well. I was really surprised when I got to the hotel last evening and was the only officer applicant among 60 or more people. Has anyone, without prior service, that was selected earlier this month received their FS? If so, how long after the day you went to the MEPS did it take to come in and when is your OCS date? Also, if anyone has questions about the physical, it is all fresh in my mind and I would be happy to answer some questions. Thanks.

exNavyOffRec

So I just got back from the MEPS and everything went very well. I was really surprised when I got to the hotel last evening and was the only officer applicant among 60 or more people. Has anyone, without prior service, that was selected earlier this month received their FS? If so, how long after the day you went to the MEPS did it take to come in and when is your OCS date? Also, if anyone has questions about the physical, it is all fresh in my mind and I would be happy to answer some questions. Thanks.
It is not from when you went to MEPS, but from when N3M issues a PQ letter, MEPS will have your physical ready for the NRD to send to N3M in around 7 days from the date of physical.

djguernsey

Pro-Rec SNA - OCS Class Date 27 May 2012
Non-Prior. No FS yet. I had my MEPS stuff done before the board date. Just waiting on that stuff to get cleared, etc. According to my recruiter's information, he thinks we should hear something in another week or two. However, we are all at the mercy of N3M and the people in Tennessee.

Got to get my rear into gear and start working on my physical conditioning more. Though I am making sure I don't injure myself.

As for time to get one now if you are submitting now, I can't say. Hopefully soon. NavyOffRec may have more intel on OCS dates and the like.

Glad everything went well. Good luck to you!

SodiumLeak

I understand the sentiment perfectly.

I don't think it says much about a candidate that they went and sought out a person who:
1) Does not personally know them.
2) Likely has no idea what Naval Aviation/OCS is all about and what qualities are necessary to succeed.

The only thing this shows is that the candidate is good at name dropping and possibly trying to one up everyone else with something that is really unimportant. Not that you are not trying to stand out but my argument is that its a poor attempt at standing out. If a candidate is willing to try to make themselves seem better with that tactic, what other tactics might they use once selected? That would be my thought if I was on a board. I don't mean to be a jerk but you said its possibly one of the most important things you can do and in reality, the consensus seems to be its useless or, in my opinion, worse than useless.

Its all about whats required, what else can you do? Everything is a variation on whats "required". I guess the only other advice I could offer is to put alot of thought into your motivational statement. You don't want to come across as arrogant or presumptuous but, at the same time, you want to try and speak to how you can lead effectively. It might seem minor but I agonized over it for quite a while before I had something I liked. I was able to incorporate past experience that jived well with other things the board saw along with some points specific to aviation while still keeping the focus on officer/leader in general, not presuming I'll be lucky enough to make it to a cockpit.

I would not take my advice as gospel, just a few thoughts from somebody who went through the process and overcame some obstacles, it was obviously not a lean board by any stretch so I can't give an honest assessment of how "above and beyond" my package as a whole might have been without seeing how it ranked at board.

I agree. It seems that a more personal interview with a person that knows you first hand and has saw you in action, would hold more genuine weight. At first listen, it sounds good; but does that person really
me, is what I'd be thinking.

Okie3

OCS NAMI CASUALTY=INTEL..I'll take it.
Went to meps on the 16th...my OR is planning on the FS letter coming in this Thursday. He thought it would take about two weeks from whenever I got MEPS done. Might be later though. In the mean time I'm glad I'm still coaching at the school and didn't take a different job. Free weight room and time to run during the day.

Saw some of yal talking about LOR and senator letters. I got a senator's letter, but I did not include it in my final kit that was sent off. The only reason I took the time to get one was because of what some guys said on this site. It doesn't carry any weight and is generic if you don't know them. I just got one and ask my OR what he thought I should do with it just in case. They said it could actually hurt me. So we left it out. I believe my coaches LOR and reconsideration letter helped the most. I'm none prior and did do officer interviews for my reconsideration kit. My OR set them up for me however 2 in 2 days right on the cutoff date before Christmas. They're not going to find everything out about you in 30 minute conversation, but it was good for me to be able to ask questions and be around somebody that is doing the job. The officer I interviewed with told me call when I found out results (I called), then he told me to call when I'm finished with OCS and I'm in flight school. I told him thank you for helping me, and he told me "I can write all kinds of 'good guy' reports but its what YOU have done up to this point and to get to this point."

That interview was VERY CASUAL and easy going....2nd interview my OR actually sat in with us. It was casual, but a little more formal than the first. Was told by my OR after to try to tone down my accent in interviews (if possible) and got general good tips to improve my interviewing abilities. Both interviews went well however. However, I see now they probably weren't as important as the things I brought to the table from school, coaching, etc. PLUS HIGH SELECTION RATE this time.

David Abreu

Just wanted to jump in,

I am a Pro-Select SNA
Criminology Major (thats right, criminology, I distictly remember someone sayig:
"Whats the point of being a Criminology major and applying for a Pilot Slot?" lol )
GPA 3.30
ATSB 6/7/6 OAR 52
30 Hours Flight Training
LOR from NAVY JAG Capt.
Tons of Prayer, Thank you Jesus! (and my wife for encouraging me to dream on and
never stop fighting)

Keep at it nonselects, it was my second time around and I was able to get
4 wavers:
Re-enrollment into officer program (USNA Academic board, got seperated in a Aerospace Eng Major and my dreams were
crushed in 2004), dependents ( I have 2 boys), marijuana use (in highschool) and an age waver (28).

So miracles still do happen fellas, and the 75% selection rate helped too. :)

ddises01

Pro Rec'd SNA January 2012 - 08 July OCS class
Any word from the recent (Feb) SNA pro-selects on FS letters or OCS dates? I'm just playing the waiting game now. Received my PQ letter over a week ago so just waiting now.

natheo

FS SNA, July 8
I called my OR today, absolutely nothing, I felt bad bugging him about it. I just wanted to know if he had an updated time table, but I knew that the two weeks was an estimate that he had given me. Had to ask a question about visiting another country anyhow.