• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Jan/Feb/Mar Boards

AT3Macklin

Commissioned 17 AUG 2012
The only time it is in person as well is if you are trying to go Nuclear. Then you go to Washington DC and interview with an Admiral and get quizzed on physics.

JMonte85

Pro-rec SNA
Navy officer recruiting baffles me sometimes. Why is there a need to renew waivers if nothing has changed? (no one needs to answer this, but if they have a good answer, then have at it)
Depends on the needs of the branch. If they are hurting for people in an area they open it up more. Just like enlisted.. One month someone can get a waiver for a shoulder injury and next month someone could go for the same waiver and get rejected.
Because of the economy the recruiting services have the upperhand now.

Sparticusjmr

FS SNA Newport 21 Oct
Navy officer recruiting baffles me sometimes. Why is there a need to renew waivers if nothing has changed? (no one needs to answer this, but if they have a good answer, then have at it)
I talked to my processor this morning. He said he has my old waiver on file and all my recruiter has to do is re-submit it to the CO to see if he'll sign off on it again. Hopefully I'll make the deadline for the January board.

invertedflyer

500 ft. from said obstacle
27/M/Former Marine
Applying: SNA Only
B.A. in History 2.85
5/6/7 - OAR 46
LORs 1 O-6, 2O-5s, 1 O-3
200 hrs SEL

Fourth time applying -- let the cards fall where they may

sndyson

After not checking airwarriors for a while I see there is some good information to read up on now. I had missed August boards (SNA) because of a waiver not being received by CNRC in time and have since had to wait patiently to hear back from my OR once a new board date had been established. As far as the basics go, I am:

25/M
SNA
B.S. Finance 3.4
ASTB 7/7/7 58

I will be contacting my OR soon regarding this, but what are some things I can do between now and SNA boards to improve my package? After discovering OCS and thereby having the opportunity to apply for SNA is easily something I can say I have ALL the desire in the world for (which goes double for serving my country in the first place), however, mainly due to the cost, I had only managed to get an hour of flight time under my belt for my application. So, again, what are some good ways to bolster my application package? And what's the final word having to update LOR's and waivers?

I have thought about:

1) more flight hours, of course - and if able to do this, should I mix up the type (rotary, single prop, multi prop)?

2) retake ASTB - but if I score higher/lower, which score do they take? (highest, lowest, most recent?)

3) more LOR's? I currently have former Navy O-6, former Navy enlisted (family friend), flight instructor, current and former employer, college professor, and business entrepreneur who I know well through my time as a state officer in a professional student business organization in college --- 7 total LOR's.

ANY AND ALL ADVICE APPRECIATED!

LFDtoUSMC

pilot
Contributor
Just wanting to see who is hearing what (keep the rumor mill turning) but I spoke with my OR yesterday and he indicated that there would only be an SNA board this January. I had seen other places, namely the NYUSN blog that there would be SNA/SNFO/SWO.

What have y'all heard lately?

mjv305

ENS SNA
just took the astb for the third and final time, got 6,7,7 54..blew my previous 5,5,6,50 out of the water. Looking good.

twobecrazy

RTB...
Contributor
just took the astb for the third and final time, got 6,7,7 54..blew my previous 5,5,6,50 out of the water. Looking good.
Good Job! FWIW your scores were fine before... If the board is going to select you then they will be looking at more than just your scores... WHOLE PERSON CONCEPT...

CBR11

So, again, what are some good ways to bolster my application package? And what's the final word having to update LOR's and waivers?

I have thought about:

1) more flight hours, of course - and if able to do this, should I mix up the type (rotary, single prop, multi prop)?

2) retake ASTB - but if I score higher/lower, which score do they take? (highest, lowest, most recent?)

3) more LOR's? I currently have former Navy O-6, former Navy enlisted (family friend), flight instructor, current and former employer, college professor, and business entrepreneur who I know well through my time as a state officer in a professional student business organization in college --- 7 total LOR's.

ANY AND ALL ADVICE APPRECIATED!
The deadline for the Jan. 23 board is in approximately one week. How are you planning on bolstering your application package in time for it to be considered for this board? I might be wrong but I thought that once your complete kit is submitted, you can't modify it.

Also, only your most recent ASTB scores are valid. If you think you scored high on your first attempt, then retaking is pretty risky.

CBR11

LT Kovalsky said:
This is your last chance for possibly the year. The deadline for application submissions (for NRD NY) is 15 December. If you do not get it in by then you may have to wait a full year for another chance.

http://nyusn.blogspot.com/2011/11/event.html

He says it's for NRD NY but I'd rather be safe in case it applies to all NRDs. My OR also seems to be under the impression that the deadline is sooner than the 23rd.

JMonte85

Pro-rec SNA
If they won't hold one for another year, then that must mean they are dipping into the alternate selections from August for sure.. That or they cut the slots majorly due to the end of our time in Iraq.