• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

James Cartwright, Ex-General, Pleads Guilty in Leak Case

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Are you really going to roll that out every time the word "classified" is used?

GEN Cartwright deliberately leaked classified information to the press; and to the point, he was convicted of lying to the FBI during the investigation, not spilling classified. What Hillary did is akin to taking working papers from a SCIF and locking it in your filing cabinet at home. Violation of policy, reckless, and really dumb, not criminal.

robav8r

None
Contributor
What Hillary did is akin to taking working papers from a SCIF and locking it in your filing cabinet at home. Violation of policy, reckless, and really dumb, not criminal.
For who? Her? Federal employees? If you or I did that our careers would be over. Immediately. No questions asked. Its absurd that people try to defend what Hillary did and justify that is wasn't "criminal."

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
The statute requires intent. As in, you intended to give away the information.

The FBI director said there was no intent, hence no prosecution.

Are you mad that there are different standards for political appointees and GS/military members?

robav8r

None
Contributor
The statute requires intent. As in, you intended to give away the information.

The FBI director said there was no intent, hence no prosecution.

Are you mad that there are different standards for political appointees and GS/military members?
I'm mad that we have seemingly discarded the concept of "trust" and justified an incredulous act because of the word "intent" in a criminal statute. It's ridiculous and everyone knows it.

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
What Hillary did is akin to taking working papers from a SCIF and locking it in your filing cabinet at home. Violation of policy, reckless, and really dumb, not criminal.

It was when John Deutsch, the CIA director, did it...

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
...Maybe I'm missing something obvious, but what was the motivation to leak to the press? A matter of simply thinking he'd be anonymously helpful in providing info about cyber ops? Some political retribution? What am I missing here? Surely a four star Marine General has more sense than a simple "oops, I didn't know any better?"

Could have been to try and influence policy but many times it is as simple as wanting to show off, letting other folks know how important you are to know such stuff.

It was when John Deutsch, the CIA director, did it...

His was deliberate mishandling of classified and much more info that was mishandled.

If you or I did that our careers would be over. Immediately. No questions asked. Its absurd that people try to defend what Hillary did and justify that is wasn't "criminal."

But we almost certainly wouldn't have been charged with a crime or even dismissed from the service, albeit with no clearance anymore. I saw it first-hand several times. As for the criminality of it her actions didn't rise to the level of criminality in the statue, simple as that.

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
His was deliberate mishandling of classified

And hers wasn't?

So we have a Secretary of State, who was a former First Lady and United States Senator who was on the Comittie on Armed Services who claims she was was never exposed to any knowledge/training/best practices/gouge about what classified information is, or how to handle it. Even IF that was true, gnorance hasn't been an acceptable excuse for anyone else.... Politics makes her different.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I'm mad that we have seemingly discarded the concept of "trust" and justified an incredulous act because of the word "intent" in a criminal statute. It's ridiculous and everyone knows it.

Unless you're proposing that application of a law should depend on "everyone knows it," instead of what the statue actually says, I'm not sure what you're proposing we do instead.

The FBI investigated this, exhaustively. The Director didn't say she did nothing wrong; he said she did nothing criminal, and that's a critical difference.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
And hers wasn't?

The FBI determined it wasn't. In Deutsch's case it could be proven because he had actual classified files and documents that were transferred from classified networks on his unclassified computers, a deliberate act.

Since we are already beating a dead horse:

The Director didn't say she did nothing wrong; he said she did nothing criminal, and that's a critical difference.