• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Jacksonville, FL traffic?

For the purposes of deciding where to live, I am looking for some help finding out how traffic usually flows in Jax. We would like to live in the North Avondale Area. This means I would have a quick commute down 17 to NAS Jax and my wife would be having to cross the I-95 bridge (she would be working near the intersection of 9A and JTB. We realize that it would be a bit quicker to split the difference by living in the Mandarin/JCP area, but we just don't like it down there as much as Avondale. The big question (without haveing experienced it) is... what is the traffic like gonig east on I-95 in the morning and coming back west in the evening?

Thanks a lot!

BackOrdered

Contributor
Someone else can chime in on the westside, but 9A and JTB are pretty bad during rush hour traffic. It isn't unbearable, but it is a slow crawl depending on what time of the day you are driving.

onedge

pilot
I lived in Jax for 22 years. 95 only runs north and south and traffic will be bad in all directions on 95, 17, 10, jtb, 295 and many other roads on weekdays from 06-08 and 1630-1800. If you have other questions, PM me.

1rotorhead

pilot
Easy trip

I live in Ortega. Just a quick turn on to 17 and I'm at work in 5 minutes. South on 17 is a breeze in the morning and north in the afternoon is easy too.

jus2mch

MOTIVATOR
Contributor
295 S toward Mandarin, 95 S toward Daytona, 95 North and 10 East towards Downtown in the morning (All at the merges and Across the Buckman) will be a punch in the nuts/ vice versa during the evening. Coming from Avondale in the morning or returning in the evening won't be very bad from NAS JAX.

Spot

11.5 years and counting boat free
A few years ago, we lived near the Baymeadows/9A area. I rarely had a problem going to or from NAS (except when I got to 17). In the mornings, you always hear about traffic being backed up from the Buckman heading towards 95. In the afternoons, it's bad from the Buckman to Blanding. Living across the river generally has you going in the opposite direction than the ones in the long parking lot.
We went to Maine and came back down here and we now live in the same area. I don't go to the base every day, but my wife says that at 7:30/8:00am, there is traffic, but everyone is going 65 when she occasionally heads over for med appts or shopping on base.
Also, since the Town Center was added to the Southside area, it has pretty much everything we need within 5 miles (Toys R Us for the little one, Best Buy & Golf Galaxy for me, the rest of Town Center for the Mrs.).
Just my .02.

Hozer

Jobu needs a refill!
None
Contributor
I still have a home in Avondale. It took me 30 minutes to get from Avondale to UNF, no traffic via 17N, I-10/95S to JTB. M-F, 0700-0900 inbound to 9A/JTB plan on an hour. From JTB back to Avondale via 95N over the Fuller Warren to the 17S/Edgewood Blvd exit is 30 minutes. 1600-1800, 45 minutes minimum.
For that neighborhood, the drive is worth it. 18 mins to NAS Jax.
Cheers.

BourneID

pilot
A few years ago, we lived near the Baymeadows/9A area. I rarely had a problem going to or from NAS (except when I got to 17). In the mornings, you always hear about traffic being backed up from the Buckman heading towards 95. In the afternoons, it's bad from the Buckman to Blanding. Living across the river generally has you going in the opposite direction than the ones in the long parking lot.
We went to Maine and came back down here and we now live in the same area. I don't go to the base every day, but my wife says that at 7:30/8:00am, there is traffic, but everyone is going 65 when she occasionally heads over for med appts or shopping on base.
Also, since the Town Center was added to the Southside area, it has pretty much everything we need within 5 miles (Toys R Us for the little one, Best Buy & Golf Galaxy for me, the rest of Town Center for the Mrs.).
Just my .02.

SPOT is Spot On, However living in Avondale for a commute to the base is great, however your wife's commute will suck, compared to yours.

Wow, thanks a lot everyone, perfect. After reading, we are thinking maybe we could both get on the early schedule and beat traffic- maybe she hit the road at about 6 AM and beat the traffic across the north bridge. Or maybe- is it faster during normal commute hours to go all the way down 17, then across Buckman, then up to the 9A/JTB intersection?