• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

I've got an itch...

Flugelman

Contributor
To acquire an evil black rifle in either .223 or 6.8. I understand the argument about ammo availability in .223 vs 6.8, but for what I will be using it for that's not a huge consideration. I probably shoot less than 300 rds a year anymore. I'm wanting something that will work out past 50 yds up to 300 yds to carry in our motorhome travels.

I've followed the threads here and it seems that the Rock River products have gained a lot of respect among the cognoscenti here abouts. What about the Colt products?

I'm going to first try to work a trade with my Rem 700 VLS .223 w/ Leupold 6.5X20. If that doesn't work I'll just bite the bullet and buy one.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

CAMike

None
Contributor
Any MilSpec Off List Lower will suffice. Stag, CMMG, Rock River Arms, LWR, LMT and about a dozen others. 5.56 chambering accommodates .223 ammo and is readily available. Colt and the old guards are not so important any longer. Even mediocre 5.56 gets you to 4oo yards fairly well. Any larger diameter at 500 yards is most effectively accomplished with 7.62x39. The folks that I've shot with that owned a 6.8 almost always tell me that the purchase was an impulse buy.

sodajones

Combat Engineer
Like Mike said, get any lower you want. Upper recommendations are Daniel Defense, LMT, BCM, Colt, Spikes, CMMG, Stag.

Unless you do your own reloading, I'd stick with 5.56 and ignore the boutique calibers.