• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Ivan has a new toy - special ops version of the HIP

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator
Russian Helicopters unveils Mi-171Sh-VN gunship

According to its official specifications, the Mi-171Sh-VN has a maximum take-off weight of 13,500 kg, a maximum payload of 4,000 kg, a ferry range of 1,065 km, a service ceiling of 6,000 m, a maximum speed of 280 km/h, and a cruising speed of 260 km/h. The aircraft has a crew of three and can transport up to 37 people.

http://www.janes.com/article/72436/russian-helicopters-unveils-mi-171sh-vn-gunship

1706840_-_main.jpg

Here is the 12,000 kg HIND for comparison.

1024px-Mi-24_Desert_Rescue.jpg

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I just like it because one optical turret isn't enough for me. I like to have at least 2. Three would be better, then everyone can look at girls/guys on the beach and no one has to worry about flying.

Pags

N/A
pilot
Holy smokes! Is that a giant rescue hoist above the door?
If it is I think it's gas powered because there's what looks like an exhaust port about half way down.

I love how all Russian design work seems to be the result of a couple of 12yr old boys' bored classroom doodles.

I wonder if the two EO/IR turrets are there as a brute force method to get more rounds downrange? As in both sides can shoot at the same time. Or just to let you watch two mud huts at the same time? Or you now no longer have to make the hard choice between wife and narrow FOV?

Any idea of what the flat panels on the nose are? Looked online and some other Mi-17s have them? Are they armor or some sort of sensor array? Any ASE gear that anyone can make out?

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
Holy smokes! Is that a giant rescue hoist above the door?
No, the hoist on that ship is internal. What you see there is a VK-2500 turboshaft engines. They can strap on one or two for a little extra boost when needed...like the mountains of Afghanistan.

Hotdogs

I don’t care if I hurt your feelings
pilot
Any ASE gear that anyone can make out?

Not that I can tell except exhaust suppressors and Mk 1 Mod 0 eyeballs. I do wonder if both of those EO/IR turrets operate in the same part of the spectrum though - which would have advantages depending on environmentals. Not much...but I guess it's something?

Last edited:

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I do wonder if both of those EO/IR turrets operate in the same part of the spectrum though - which would have advantages depending on environmentals. Not much...but I guess it's something?

Certainly possible. I do still laugh and point, though, since the rest of civilization just puts it all in one turret and makes the ball bigger.

Pags

N/A
pilot
What's over the port wing stub aft of the bracing? Is that the CMDS?

And is that another FFFW gun above the wing in addition to the gun pod underneath the wing?

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
If it is I think it's gas powered because there's what looks like an exhaust port about half way down.

Shhhh, it's the caterpillar drive.

I wonder if the two EO/IR turrets are there as a brute force method to get more rounds downrange? As in both sides can shoot at the same time. Or just to let you watch two mud huts at the same time? Or you now no longer have to make the hard choice between wife and narrow FOV?

Not that I can tell except exhaust suppressors and Mk 1 Mod 0 eyeballs. I do wonder if both of those EO/IR turrets operate in the same part of the spectrum though - which would have advantages depending on environmentals. Not much...but I guess it's something?

In general, There's actually a lot of usefulness to a two ball sensor platform, even when they're being used in the same part spectrum.

Hotdogs

I don’t care if I hurt your feelings
pilot
In general, There's actually a lot of usefulness to a two ball sensor platform, even when they're being used in the same part spectrum.

Not questioning the utility of it, just never seen it before on a RW platform.