• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

It's the small things that often impress--Blue Angel #1

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
My Det was bouncing at El Centro, preparing for our upcoming deployment. The Blues were practicing off in the distance, doing loops and what not. Shorty after they landed, I noticed a dot on the horizon. As it got closer, I could see it was an F/A-18..........coming in for the break. It was the Skipper, Blue #1. My guess was 500 knots, breaking at the numbers. It has been a while since I've seen that. It was simply impressive. Got back to the squadron, had a beer to the CO of the Blues. It's often the small things that matter.

FLY NAVY :icon_smil

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Nothing warms the heart like a 400+ knot break.

I remember a Hornet coming into the break here once. Never heard him until he was halfway through his break turn. All I heard was an enormously loud WHOOOOOOOSSSSHHHHH and I look up in utter surprise and I see a Hornet squatting in the break, wings shaking from the G load, and in freakin burner... ahh that was awesome. Needless to say, his gear wasn't coming down until the 90.

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Fly Navy said:
Nothing warms the heart like a 400+ knot break.

The heck with heart warming....Lets talk heart rate increasing...

Nothing gets my heart rate going as good as being part of a 600 knot burner break in an F-14.

Lots of G and very little time to dangle the Dunlops.

SteveG75

Retired and starting that second career
None
Pensacola - 1530 Saturday afternoon taking a slick EA-6B to Grumman for rework.

- VFR cancel 10k' overhead.
- Switch to tower, cleared #1 for the carrier break from 10k overhead.
- Prowler NATOPS slick max speed - LBA (Limited By Airframe).

I will not reveal the numbers to protect the innocent but lets just say that even with a max (for an EA-6B, 4.5G) pull, we were a little wide abeam (~2.5 nm).

mules83

getting salty...
pilot
SteveG75 said:
I will not reveal the numbers to protect the innocent but lets just say that even with a max (for an EA-6B, 4.5G) pull, we were a little wide abeam (~2.5 nm).

I expect some of you nerds from the gmail thread to figure out how fast he was going. ;)

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
bunk22 said:
My Det was bouncing at El Centro, preparing for our upcoming deployment. The Blues were practicing off in the distance, doing loops and what not. Shorty after they landed, I noticed a dot on the horizon. As it got closer, I could see it was an F/A-18..........coming in for the break. It was the Skipper, Blue #1. My guess was 500 knots, breaking at the numbers. It has been a while since I've seen that. It was simply impressive. Got back to the squadron, had a beer to the CO of the Blues. It's often the small things that matter.

FLY NAVY :icon_smil

Axle owes me a six pack for the Hornet tail hook I got him while at NSAWC. I remind him every year, all he does is smile and say 'the wife is on it'.

brd2881

Bon Scott Lives
pilot
I am still amazed at how fast 500 kts is coming into the break....see it in Lemoore every now and then...250 kts at the initial anyone...yeah right....SH breaks prevalent on friday afternoons...

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
brd2881 said:
I am still amazed at how fast 500 kts is coming into the break....see it in Lemoore every now and then...250 kts at the initial anyone...yeah right....SH breaks prevalent on friday afternoons...
Yeah, 5 bills is the rule on friday afternoons in Whidbey, no AB required/desired :D. If you're landing to the west, that will put you right over the club for all your good buddies to appreciate.

Brett

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
It's amazing how slow 250 knots feels now coming to the break (night break here is 250). After routinely coming in at 350ish, 250 feels like a crawl.