• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

IT's OFFICIAL: Follow the Red Tail is no more !!

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Another good deal, airline-style. From the good news/bad news department::)

DELTA completes deal to acquire NORTHWEST 10/30/2008

DELTA details more capacity cuts 12/02/2008

delta%20northwest.jpg

Last Flight Out .... Honolulu Base *sniff* ... ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ The "new" RED TAIL ...

Freight Dogs, Anchorage ... end of an era ???

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
I noticed they mentioned 28 travelers that sued and "settled out of court"...what did they sue for, why did they airline pay them off, and how can I get on that gravy train in the future when AA buys Continental?

LazersGoPEWPEW

4500rpm
Contributor
AA isn't going to buy Continental anytime soon. AA was looking at something with British Airways but that doesn't fly with the U.S. Government.

The only thing AA is doing with Continental right now is taking over Continental Express operations underwing and some overwing operations. But those are just contracts. Kind of like Delta contracts its underwing operation to DGS.

One can hope that United and Continental get wise and merge soon. United is gasping for air right now I think.

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
AA isn't going to buy Continental anytime soon. AA was looking at something with British Airways but that doesn't fly with the U.S. Government.

The only thing AA is doing with Continental right now is taking over Continental Express operations underwing and some overwing operations. But those are just contracts. Kind of like Delta contracts its underwing operation to DGS.

Holy Crap! I was actually joking about AA buying Continental...I just grabbed 2 names out of the blue...next time I'll use TWA and JetBlue...point is how does Pickle get him some free money?

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
One sad result of the merger is the disappearance of the historic Northwest Airlines "brand name" ...

NWA is the longest surviving "brand" of any U.S. airline in continuous operation, having started as "Northwest Airways" in September of 1926

In fact, the NWA Pilots' cap device still says "U.S. Airmail". It's a way for current pilots to pay homage and tribute to their brethren who paved the way for them and all of us, in a way. These early pioneering airmen flew the U.S. Mail contracts, which formed the basis for the then nascent U.S. airline industry.

Northwest Airlines history - Wiki
speed_holman.jpg

imageview.aspx

Single Seat

Average member
pilot
None
A sad day for sure. Makes for my old mans 5th airline now since being aquired by Hughes Airwest.

Single Seat

Average member
pilot
None
DAL/NWA have ratified the new seniority list of 12,434 pilots. Holy shit that's a huge cadre!!!

From reading the forums, the general concensus seems to be that it was a fair merger. It was based off percentage position, so if you were in the top 53% before, you're in the top 53% now... even if that means you're junior to someone with a later date of hire. Glad to hear everyone is happy overall, speculation is that once the dust settles this is going to be a strong airline and a good place to work.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
DAL/NWA have ratified the new seniority list of 12,434 pilots. Holy shit that's a huge cadre!!!

From reading the forums, the general concensus seems to be that it was a fair merger. It was based off percentage position, so if you were in the top 53% before, you're in the top 53% now... even if that means you're junior to someone with a later date of hire. Glad to hear everyone is happy overall, speculation is that once the dust settles this is going to be a strong airline and a good place to work.

Ditto ... and I think it's now the largest pilot group in airline history. 12,000 + pilots is one helluva big squadron.

It's also gotta represent the "easiest" pilot group merger in memory, certainly over the past 40 years. That is in large part due to the relatively "high quality" of the two groups (you gotta tell it like it is ... :)), the "quality" of their routes and their equipment, too. It was a marriage of two "haves", rather than a "have and a have-not" like so many other mergers have been.

More's the pity that it couldn't have happened in 1985 when it was seriously looked at ... and it WOULD have happened at that time were it not for the final gap of @ $.50/per share (that's ... fifty cents per share :sleep_125) .... and, of course, no agreement on which EMT would "survive" the merger. Now .... here's a story problem:

Which of the two reasons do you think was the clincher ... ??? :)

I guess what had to happen over the years (discounting the basic trend of overall airline consolidation/contraction of the past 20 years) was for "DICK" Anderson and his team to go from NWA to DELTA ... so when BOTH EMT's were defacto "from NWA" ... then the deal could go down. Ahhhhhhh ... those execs & managers ... always lookin' out for their shareholders and the employees, yea-as ???? :D

Now if they'd just reopen the Honolulu pilot base .... mebbe some ol' guys might dust off their Wings .... hmmmmmmmmmm ...... ??? :)

Naaaaaaaaaah.

Single Seat

Average member
pilot
None
I really expected it to be a lot bloodier. Of course there are a few out there bitching about how they got "screwed," however I would emplore them to make their "case" to the USAir guys with 1980's hire dates that have lost their jobs.