• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

It's been over a year now...

Wambo

I started pursuing a career as a naval aviator over 1yr ago. I took the ASTB about 1yr ago (5/6/6 50). I passed the physical at MEPS about 3 months ago. Due to the fact that I had a skull fracture when I was 11 (I'm 25 now), I had a some CT scans done that day at MEPS. I have since been waiting on an appointment with a neurologist to go over the X-rays with me. I have heard rumors that all flight contracts given to OCS graduates (as opposed to Naval Academy graduates) are going to be put on hold due to the pipeline being very full. Is it normal for this commission process to take over a year? Is there anything I can do to speed up the process? Would it be a good idea to retake the ASTB or is that score fine? Anything you guys can advise me on will be appreciated.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Those are ok scores in a historical sense, but something tells me that the near future is going to be a lot more competitive, especially for OCS applicants. I don't have enough experience to say whether this is "normal", but OCS supplements the officer corps in the line officer community when the needs of the Navy require it (ie they need more than the Academy and NROTC can provide). The belt is currently being tightened, so it would make sense that they need less folks from OCS to fill fleet unrestricted line billets (such as NA/NFO) right now. If I were you, I would work my hardest at putting together the most competitive package that I could. Beyond that, only time will tell if yours is good enough to get in with a pilot contract. If you have the means, it honestly might be worth waiting a couple years, building that package up, and applying then when there is more of a need for applicants. Obviously age requirements would factor into this decision.

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
MEPS moves slowly, but not that slowly. Are you on top of your OR to make sure you're being pushed through the process? As far as ASTB scores, yours aren't that great for the current climate. Look at the recent board threads and see the scores that are getting people in. Consider studying harder and taking it again to improve your package.

Don't worry about manning and whatnot at this point. Just put the best package together you can and hope for the best.

Wambo

When you say "Take a couple years and improve your package," other than getting a better ASTB score, what else can I do to improve it? A few different people have told me that I would be more likely to get a flight contract with the Army. Feedback?

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
When you say "Take a couple years and improve your package," other than getting a better ASTB score, what else can I do to improve it? A few different people have told me that I would be more likely to get a flight contract with the Army. Feedback?

Can't speak to the Army, but I'm just saying do as much to build up your "resume" per se as you can. Whether that be work, community volunteering, leadership opportunities, whatever. I'd certainly start with the ASTB though.

EM1

Forsan et haec olim meminisse iuvabit
Just an observation: You say you passed medical, and then in the next line you say you're waiting on a medical consult with a neurologist. Wouldnt that mean you haven't passed medical?

I'll admit that I don't know much about OCS, but I know for enlistment, STA-21 and now commissioning I didn't "pass medical" until everything, including waivers and consults, was complete.

If this is the case, are you really just waiting on medical before proceeding? I agree taking time in the mean time to improve your package is a good idea, but I'm not sure med clearance would go any faster if you switched branches

Wambo

I meant that I have passed the eye, hearing, and drug test parts of the medical examination. I am sure that everything is going to go fine with the neurologist as well. I currently work 7 days a week at multiple jobs, so there is not very much time left for volunteer work. I didnt really take the ASTB very seriously the first time I took it, only studying for about 12 days before hand. I think I can do much better if I alocate more time for studying.

OUSOONER

Crusty Shellback
pilot
I meant that I have passed the eye, hearing, and drug test parts of the medical examination. I am sure that everything is going to go fine with the neurologist as well. I currently work 7 days a week at multiple jobs, so there is not very much time left for volunteer work. I didnt really take the ASTB very seriously the first time I took it, only studying for about 12 days before hand. I think I can do much better if I alocate more time for studying.

Well then you haven't cleared the medical portion of your application...it has nothing to do with the other parts of your officer package.

What's the point in worrying about other things if you don't even know if you're physically/med qualified in the first place?

EM1

Forsan et haec olim meminisse iuvabit
What's the point in worrying about other things if you don't even know if you're physically/med qualified in the first place?
I agree.

Wambo, I know you think that everything will be fine with the neurologist, but there's a reason MEPS is sending you to him, and you have no idea what he or she will say.