• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Is there gouge on the drug waiver issue?

phrogpilot73

How would "they" find out? The only way I can think of is if you had to take a polygraph for some super secret clearance...

EDIT: Sonic, you beat me to it. Even if poly's aren't admissible in court, they would still get you screwed over by the Navy. I'm pretty sure that's the only way they'd ever know.
Other than admitting to it on an internet board. Just ask OttoWrote8/bogeyspotter just how anonymous this place is.

You two will make stellar officers, I can feel it.

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
Can anyone confirm from personal experience (not gouge or word of mouth) that they checked "YES" and were still granted a waiver.

Checked yes when I enlisted. I was enlisting for the nuke pipeline, which if you read a few posts above have their own set of rules. Got the waiver, and was still able to get into USNA and ultimately fly with that in my record.

So yes, it can happen. Work hard and good luck.

Other than admitting to it on an internet board. Just ask OttoWrote8/bogeyspotter just how anonymous this place is.

You two will make stellar officers, I can feel it.

FYI Phrog I´m not asking how to beat a polygraph, nor am I interested. The operative phrase was out of curiousity. I plan on fessing up, but would just like to be aware of alternatives, consequences, waiver process, etc etc.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
FYI Phrog I´m not asking how to beat a polygraph, nor am I interested. The operative phrase was out of curiousity. I plan on fessing up, but would just like to be aware of alternatives, consequences, waiver process, etc etc.

They don't ask you about those kinds of things on routine or CI polygraphs and I can't think of too many active duty jobs where a "lifestyle" poly would be necessary - usually working for a three letter agency in those cases.

Brett

phrogpilot73

They don't ask you about those kinds of things on routine or CI polygraphs and I can't think of too many active duty jobs where a "lifestyle" poly would be necessary - usually working for a three letter agency in those cases.
I'm certain that one three letter agency doesn't require lifestlye polys for active duty types, only a CI. The civilian GS-types and contractors have to have both. Other agencies, I don't know.

BigIron

Remotely piloted
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I think it's best to:
1. be honest on your application.
2. Apply.
3. Be ready to accept the consequences, including the denial of your application because of your past history.
4. Press on regardless in whatever endeavor.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
I´m unearthing this old thread because I´ve come across the dreaded question "Have you illegally used any controlled substance?" question on the OCS application.

Can anyone confirm from personal experience (not gouge or word of mouth) that they checked "YES" and were still granted a waiver. In this case the YES refers to limited pre-service experimentation with marijuana (4 or 5x) prior to a year ago. I really want to be honest on my application but don´t want to shoot myself down because of some stupid mistakes I made with friends years ago.

I answered yes, although I think I put down 2X on my app and EPSQ.

Go ahead and lie. You may get away with it. You may not. But if it ever comes up, you could potentially be in SERIOUS trouble if they choose to press it.

In my mind, lying on a an APPLICATION to be a part of "Honor, Courage, and Commitment" is pretty fucking ironic.

And if you do lie, you better hope you smoked alone, because I'm sure your buddies are really good at keeping secrets from investigators... ;)

I answered yes, although I think I put down 2X on my app and EPSQ.

Go ahead and lie. You may get away with it. You may not. But if it ever comes up, you could potentially be in SERIOUS trouble if they choose to press it.

In my mind, lying on a an APPLICATION to be a part of "Honor, Courage, and Commitment" is pretty fucking ironic.

And if you do lie, you better hope you smoked alone, because I'm sure your buddies are really good at keeping secrets from investigators... ;)

Haha no I don't plan on lying. It's crossed my mind, as I think it does to most of us (like Brett) who think "eh wtf maybe I'll get away with it and no one will ever be the wiser". But I think I'd rather be turned away at the door than get my ass slammed 10 years down the road. And I think you're dead on about my friends...they're all pretty good liars but I wouldn't stake my career or reputation on it. I think I'm just gonna be honest. From what I gather from everyone's responses its more likely than not that if truthful I'll get a waiver. I don't really have anything to hide. I fall within the acceptable limits put forth by NOMI so I think I'm in the clear (though nothing is written in stone). *Fingers crossed.

atrickpay

BDCP SNA
I talked to my recruiter about it and he told me the magic number was 10. I tried it once, and have it on my application. What he said was something along the lines of, 'many people have experimented, and if they denied everyone that ever has they'd have some trouble filling the slots'.. Either that or there would be a lot more people lying.

I highly doubt a package selection would come down to such a small detail, but I guess its possible. Just be honest..

McBuff

Sees the light
Any concern over MJ use more than seven years ago?

I'm freaking out because I goofed at MEPS. The doc asked had I ever used any controlled substance and how many times. I answered yes, marijuana, and "5 to 10 times" which is interpreted 10 times. Now that I think back, it's been four times, the last time being in early 2001 (I dont actually expect anyone to believe me). So my application and EPSQ will say "no" to drug use within the past seven years but MEPS says yes. I feel like I really screwed myself by just guessing at the number of times.

I've worked hard to make a pretty competitive package and I'm gonna be pissed if I blew it.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Any concern over MJ use more than seven years ago?

I'm freaking out because I goofed at MEPS. The doc asked had I ever used any controlled substance and how many times. I answered yes, marijuana, and "5 to 10 times" which is interpreted 10 times. Now that I think back, it's been four times, the last time being in early 2001 (I dont actually expect anyone to believe me). So my application and EPSQ will say "no" to drug use within the past seven years but MEPS says yes. I feel like I really screwed myself by just guessing at the number of times.

I've worked hard to make a pretty competitive package and I'm gonna be pissed if I blew it.

I don't see where the conflict is. Unless your MEPS paperwork explicitly says that you admitted to drug use post 2001, what's the problem. Even if it does, it's not going to be an issue. Just be frank and honest if anyone asks you about it and it's all good.

Brett

McBuff

Sees the light
Thanks for the answer. The conflict was whether or not the Navy considers what happened beyond the prior seven years, thats all.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Thanks for the answer. The conflict was whether or not the Navy considers what happened beyond the prior seven years, thats all.

Everything is "considered," but your situation is not out of the ordinary.

Brett

2sr2worry

Naval Aviation=world's greatest team sport
"They" won't find out via polygraph when you're just another OCS candidate. But--if you stay "in the club" and promote, they're going to ask you again and again as you renew your clearance, and at some point they'll probably want to hook you up to the machine. Do you really want to remember "a story" for twenty years? We don't hire angels...we hire leaders. Honor, courage, commitment are simple concepts. Don't make it overly complicated. Say what you did, let 'em know you understand what "zero tolerance" means, and let 'em know why it matters to you. "They" will usually make the right decision. I'd rather have an officer in the wardroom who admitted they smoked dope 10 years ago, than an officer who just "lied again" on their clearance renewal. The first one USED to smoke dope, the second one IS a liar. Big difference.