• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Is the M-1 Abrams outclassed now?

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator
Not aviation but interesting nevertheless, the new Russian T-14 tank is operational ahead of schedule. The T-14 is part of the Armata family of vehicles to include the T-14 main battle tank with a 125mm gun, the T-15 heavy infantry fighting vehicle, the T-16 armored recovery vehicle and a heavy armoured assault vehicle mounting a monstrous 152mm gun - artillery adapted for a direct fire role. However others are reporting that this tank will mount a 152mm - either way, it is said it can burn through 1 meter of steel. The Abrams reign as king of the battlefield may be coming to an end.

http://nationalinterest.org/blog/the-buzz/surprise-russias-lethal-t-14-armata-tank-production-15480

T-14 (notice the turret is unmanned)

1280px-T-14_prototype_from_above_0.JPG

Hotdogs

I don’t care if I hurt your feelings
pilot
PGM penetration capability has always outpaced armor capability. 1 meter of steel? So around 3 ft? Cool story bro.

The late FSU tank designs were always capable machines (T-80, T-90). Complete with laser repeaters, counter measures, and ERA that would pose problem to lots of modern PGMs. As with Aviation, the training, maintenance, and proficiency of the crews constitutes a bigger factor than just having a shiny new toy.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The Article said:
“We will show how the evacuation of military equipment will be carried out. The stoppage of the tank was planned,” announced the public address system . . .
Insert Yakov Smirnoff reference here . . .

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator
PGM penetration capability has always outpaced armor capability. 1 meter of steel? So around 3 ft? Cool story bro.

The late FSU tank designs were always capable machines (T-80, T-90). Complete with laser repeaters, counter measures, and ERA that would pose problem to lots of modern PGMs. As with Aviation, the training, maintenance, and proficiency of the crews constitutes a bigger factor than just having a shiny new toy.

As a skid bubba, you know this stuff already but it was eye-opening to see several Abrams getting brewed up like Shermans in WW2. I realize this is the export version, but still - lot of nasty missiles out there.

http://nationalinterest.org/blog/th...ed-know-about-russias-lethal-tank-force-17013

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
As a skid bubba, you know this stuff already but it was eye-opening to see several Abrams getting brewed up like Shermans in WW2. I realize this is the export version, but still - lot of nasty missiles out there.

It may not look all that great but I think the M1 is supposed to do that when hit hard enough for the ammo to go off, with the ammunition exploding outward (via blowout panels) instead of into the tank.

Hotdogs

I don’t care if I hurt your feelings
pilot
It may not look all that great but I think the M1 is supposed to do that when hit hard enough for the ammo to go off, with the ammunition exploding outward (via blowout panels) instead of into the tank.

There's a compartment inside the M1 that stores the main gun rounds and ballistically shields the crew from rounds cooking off. That might be the case here. Assuming the loader and ammo shelf was closed.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
There's a compartment inside the M1 that stores the main gun rounds and ballistically shields the crew from rounds cooking off. That might be the case here. Assuming the loader and ammo shelf was closed.

The doors close automatically when not opened by a crewmember so unless someone jury-rigged something to keep it the doors open it hopefully protected the crew. The fuel tanks are also in armored compartments and have blowout panels as well.

BigRed389

None

Yeah it's hard to tell how bad that one was actually damaged internally.

This one's a Syrian T-72 getting hit with an RPG:

Lot more obvious what happens. Internal ammo storage can have really bad results. Round impact ~0:55.

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator
It's not like the Abrams is invincible. Should we be surprised that anti-tank weapons kill tanks?

True. I remember the Gulf War and the Abrams shrugged off everything like a King Tiger in WW2 - sooner or later the weapons will catch up with it. Speaking of Tigers, if you ever get the chance take a look at the Tank Museum at Aberdeen Proving Grounds in Maryland. http://www.peachmountain.com/5star/US_Army_Ordnance_Museum.aspx The Jagdtiger was the tank destroyer version of the Tiger mounting a fixed 128mm cannon and armor equivalent to a heavy cruiser. Notice the gouges where shells bounced off.

20060509_2221_NSengupta_AberdeenProvingGrounds.jpg

20060509_2220_NSengupta_AberdeenProvingGrounds.jpg