• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Is NROTC harder than Anapolis or 50/50

Status
Not open for further replies.

rare21

pilot
Contributor
also i've had 3 friends graduate from the naval academy and west point. if they could do it over again they wouldnt. this is also from two advisors who are getting doctorates from my old alma mater. go to a nice regular college with an actual life. nrotc lets you manage your own time which will continually help you in the fleet. there are advantages and disadvantages and i have nothing against aviation academy guys in my class. they are really good guys. still i went on a first class cruise (surface) with academy guys and good god they were so into themselves...its all on what you are.

quickandsure

Brian:

Seems you have problems getting your questions answered. Somtines that is good; beware of flippant advice. I do not believe there is any data out there about how many medical "failures"; any answer would be a guess.

Go to the source:

NROTC: HTTPS://WWW.NROTC.NAVY.MIL
Naval Academy: WWW.USNA.EDU

Order the USNA catalog. Contains a wealth of information, not only of the Academy but Navy/Marine Corps as well.

WWW.MILITARY.COM is another site that covers all of the services. Check it out. Have also been told you can submit your NROTC application from the site, but not sure, so check that out as well. Be well informed.

A comprehensive medical exam is required by both. Criteria is the same for both. Some warfare communities have more stringent criteria, e.g., SEALS and NA. Take the criteria to your family doctor and he/she can give you advice on any potential problems or concerns.

room5047

FYI savingthisone: all USNA applicants, with the exception of enlisted navy/marine corps personnel, must be nominated to proceed to an appointment. in addition to your senators and congressmen, all are eligible for a vice-presidential nomination, and some are eligible for one from c-in-c himself. it's no big deal, really; if you impress your blue and gold officer and the academy admissions folks, they'll scrounge one up for you from the samoan house representative or something.

speaking as a retired mid, who left usna after 2 years, who has lots of rotc friends, and who is ocs-bound, i think the only real differences between these officers in the fleet are the ones they make up for themselves. academy grads pretty much have a network of buddies anywhere they may go, so there is that. but otherwise, every source commissions some born leaders and some absolute crank yankers.

yes, the academy is tough, long, and very often pointless in its rules. i certainly didn't have the patience for it at the age of 20, and i don't regret leaving, because i was able to learn a lot about myself, the world, and academics that i just was not going to get by the bay. but all that aside, even at its worst, being a mid at USNA is really something special, and marching to noon meal, or cheering at the army game, or climbing the herndon monument, or touring the history that's on the yard just produces one of those "i'm actually here - WOW!" feelings that makes life worthwhile. so do some soul searching and decide what sort of a person you are. that'll determine what you're best suited for, college-wise. but as long as you're committed to the fleet and the servicepeople, whichever way you go, you'll be okay.

show me your WAARRRR face!

savingthisone

5047 i think you are correct. Need nomination but it is no big deal if you are competitive. they will find one.

Would add:

Spotting the Chapel Spire when returning for YP cruise, marching onto the field for Army/Navy game, standing at the foot of JPJ's crypt and reading the "wall" in Bancroft Hall.

Leadership is not taught at USNA, it is reserved for those that take the high road.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
lerimarfc,
Your best bet is to apply to everywhere (USNA, NROTC, MMA, Etc.) and see what type of offers you get. You may get none or you may get several. At that point, you will be required to make your life descision. BUT, keep your options open and something will come. If you want a commission badly enough and you work hard, you will get one. Good luck in all you do!
ea6bflyr
icon_smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.