• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Is NROTC harder than Anapolis or 50/50

Status
Not open for further replies.

goplay234

Hummer NFO
None
Let me tell you. ROTC is a joke. From what I hear, Annapolis requires you to do a lot of extra commitments. In ROTC, you get to have a life. Maybe I am a little biased but if you are looking for an easier route, I would suggest ROTC. It allows you to have fun in college as opposed to being stuck inside walls for four years.

viv

Midshipman 4/Trash
It depends on where you do NROTC. There are hardcore units at public colleges like Texas A&M and Georgia Tech. It seems like the bigger units are the more demanding and "harder" units. Then again, you could do ROTC at one of the military colleges like VMI or The Citadel. I am pretty sure that they will challenge you at either of those places!

Did you ask this question to find out which will challenge you more, or which will be easier?

GO NAVY BEAT ARMY

absolutVU

hahahaha 50/50 hahahahaha..... rotc rules! Well, it rules if you want to have the college experience and enjoy it.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
It all depends on what you want. If you wish to live in a 24x7 military environment and have ALL of school paid for, go to USNA, on the other hand, if you want to pay a little for school and gain the college experience, go to NROTC. Your choice....that is if they accept you!
ea6bflyr
icon_smile.gif

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Have to agree w/ ea6bflyr on that one. Different strokes for different blokes.
That said, I take issue with anyone who thinks ROTC is a joke; it's only a joke if you make it into one. And if you're cool with that, more power to you. You can challenge yourself no matter what which road you pick, it's a question of how hard you want to look for opportunities.
I think if either program put out bad officers the Navy'd have shut it down years ago, and the only one that's going to let you become a cocky 'ring-knocker' is yourself. My impression of the academy is that they seem to coop you up and force down your throat some stuff that you can still get in ROTC if you're motivated, but you have to go out and do it yourself.
Personally I'd put my ROTC-earned commission up against any Academy guy and that's not slighting anybody involved either. Me, I liked the chance to live a normal life on the side and tailgate at Beaver Stadium.

If God isn't a Penn State fan, than why is the sky blue and white?

savingthisone

Competition for Canoe U is bit more fierce than NROTC. Acceptance rate for USNA is in the 10% range. ((That you MUST have a senator or congressperson nomination to attend is USNA bad scoop, lots do without it)). The norm is about 12,000 applications, about half have official nominations and they accept 1200 - 1400. The attrit rate at USNA is about 24% over the 4 years. NROTC acceptance is a bit more complicated, example some of the leftist universities do not allow NROTC but one can at some go "across town" to another unit. Quality of NORTC units varies, good to bad, BUT NOT THE QUALITY OF THE PEOPLE. In the fleet, i have been told that for the first couple of years, USNA types perform better than NRTOC/OCS, generaalized of course, but after LT or O3, there is not one ounce of difference, other than "ring knocking". If that helps.

At one time USNA graduates became instant USN all other USNR, which was a huge difference. USNA now graduates as USNR but MUST convert to USN at some point. Change was brainchild of Sen. Glenn, USMCR via OCS we believe.

Yep NITTANY03 we going to get our chance to see how we stack up against Canoe U types.

Bring 'em on!

sailorgloom

The application process is much easier for NROTC. IIRC, you can even just take the first two years like any other college course.

There is an involved procedure for Canoe U. Being a ring knocker is not an easy thing for young people (many of whom never left home before) to do. If you can get through it, good for you.

It is not a requirement to become a Naval/Marine Officer.

Good luck.

-SG

savingthisone

ashamed_125.gif
Duh ... SG you are correct, NROTC application process is easier to do than USNA, as USNA is more involved. What i meant and did not at all do justice to my intent was that NROTC application/selection process was more difficult to describe because it varies more than does the USNA process. For instance, one can quickly get mucho stats on the USNA process on a national basis such as applications received, accepted, diversity, attrit rate, state/foreign countries from which selected blah, blah. No such stats, that i know of, exist for the NROTC on a program basis. Ergo, difficult as in harder to get one's arms around the process to compare one vs another.

i talk too much, sorry.
boring_125.gif

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
observation from many officers: USNA grads do very poorly in the Fleet at first because it is the first time they've ever had freedom. Typical is to party too much in the warfare schools and not do as well as the NROTC grads because they already had a normal life. All in all, both sides will have total asses, both will have outstanding people.

Fly Navy
ENS USNR

savingthisone

hmm... could be Fly Navy. Have no data one way or the other. But did talk to Charlie Noble the other day on this very same subject and his take was far different, and if anyone knows he sure would. Will talk to him again to see if he has any data.

rare21

pilot
Contributor
my XO in nrotc, NFO commander, told me that nrotc is the easiest and best way to get an aviation contract and i believe him

Status
Not open for further replies.