• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Is it worth giving another try or should i throw in the towel

davidc1220

I've been on here for a while and I've been going back and forth on this decision. I've gone through pretty much every branch and haven't had anything come through for some reason.

I had been applying for the Marine Corps for many years and stopped after being told basically I dont have what it takes. I went to OCS through PLC Combined back in 2017 but long story short I was dropped with a chance to reapply. I was 21 at the time and now I'm 26 about to be 27 with alot of life experiences that have happened since. Something about wanting to "Earn the Title" or living a life of "What if?" keeps drawing me back to this.

I have passed my ASTB since then and also have my bachelors. I tried last year getting into the program and everything is ready to go in regards to setting up a packet except for one thing.

I cant pass a PFT. Specifically the run. I know they're younger and stronger individuals applying for these programs and after being in a Poole Program for a bit last year, I could see that I'm getting to the point where I can't keep up with them.The OSOs I've worked with basically won't touch anyone without a 285 PFT and if I'm being 100% honest I'm not even close. I know I'm close to aging out for this, and I know there are age waivers. The last OSO basically told me that I gave it my all for so many years but at some point I have to be realistic. I took those words and went on.

I dont have a path right now. I got screwed over by the army, denied by the Navy, have to wait about 8 months for Air Guard and honestly I feel kind of lost. I have literally everything needed to do a package and it could be done in a day if it wanted to be. I'm just missing that one piece

So after all this, my question is should I even give it one more try or let it be something of the past and continue life the way it is?

I know this is long and it will probably be the last time I think about this as I will have to make a decision and move on with my life. I look forward to hearing your opinions

Thanks again

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
I dont have a path right now. I got screwed over by the army, denied by the Navy, have to wait about 8 months for Air Guard and honestly I feel kind of lost. I have literally everything needed to do a package and it could be done in a day if it wanted to be. I'm just missing that one piece

Maybe this is a sign that the military isn’t for you?

There are other means to serve and make a difference out there, some of those having less stringent requirements or a better fit for you / your background.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
Are you looking just to aviation? Are you just stuck on “jets and nothing else?” How did the army scare you over? Maybe try the army national guard.

davidc1220

Maybe this is a sign that the military isn’t for you?

There are other means to serve and make a difference out there, some of those having less stringent requirements or a better fit for you / your background.
Maybe but I'm giving it whatever chance I have. Rather give it all than live with what if forever

davidc1220

Are you looking just to aviation? Are you just stuck on “jets and nothing else?” How did the army scare you over? Maybe try the army national guard.
As far as aviation, yes being a pilot would be great, honestly if I was to go into the Marines and not get aviation, I'd try for Intel or something else. I'm definitely not plane chasing, ill fly anything for anyone. Currently possibly thinking of rushing a squadron at my local air guard unit.

The army had me take a PICAT score and I did really well scoring a AFQT of 97 with a GT of 133. When I went to MEPS to take the verification test, the recruiter didn't tell me it was a full ASVAB so I got hit with questions not on my PICAT. Questions I had no idea about. Anyways the score came below what was required of WOFT and I can't retake until next month, but by then ill miss the board and will have to wait until November which still may happen but not likely.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
As far as aviation, yes being a pilot would be great, honestly if I was to go into the Marines and not get aviation, I'd try for Intel or something else. I'm definitely not plane chasing, ill fly anything for anyone. Currently possibly thinking of rushing a squadron at my local air guard unit.

The army had me take a PICAT score and I did really well scoring a AFQT of 97 with a GT of 133. When I went to MEPS to take the verification test, the recruiter didn't tell me it was a full ASVAB so I got hit with questions not on my PICAT. Questions I had no idea about. Anyways the score came below what was required of WOFT and I can't retake until next month, but by then ill miss the board and will have to wait until November which still may happen but not likely.
OK…try army aviation again. Also, look to Army National Guard aviation units near your home. I am a former Marine and I can tell you, the PFT doesn’t get easier with age…even for young dudes! If you want it, keep trying until they say “absolutely not” which it seems, the Marines have said. So, Army, Navy, or AF.

davidc1220

OK…try army aviation again. Also, look to Army National Guard aviation units near your home. I am a former Marine and I can tell you, the PFT doesn’t get easier with age…even for young dudes! If you want it, keep trying until they say “absolutely not” which it seems, the Marines have said. So, Army, Navy, or AF.
Believe me, running the 3 miles with 19-21 year olds made me feel old lol. Not a bad idea to try for Army again, we'll see what happens there.

I talked to the recruiter who was working the Navy. He said its extremely competitive this go around due to TOP GUN. I'd need highest scores on the ASTB. Plus since I didn't get in the first time, he was kind of reluctant to try again.

Air guard is really a contender, I need my PPL and to take and get a good score on the AFOQT but other than that. Just have to wait and see what happens

number9

Contributor
I'm a very recent (non-prior) reservist in the Intel community, so take this with a grain of salt. What do you want to do: do you want to fly, or do you want to serve?

The reason I ask is that, if I was younger, I would have made very different choices - but here I am. Ultimately I decided that serving was the most important thing for me, so I found the avenue that made the most sense (in my case, Navy DCO). I think you need to figure out if you want to fly or to serve in another capacity, and then pick the most logical path to pursue whichever of those you choose.

taxi1

pilot
Doesn’t hurt to try, but you also need to start exploring Plan B.

What do you really look to gain from serving? A stamp of approval from an org you respect? A field in which to develop mastery? To pay back something given to you?

There are alternative paths to each of those, and others.

davidc1220

I'm a very recent (non-prior) reservist in the Intel community, so take this with a grain of salt. What do you want to do: do you want to fly, or do you want to serve?

The reason I ask is that, if I was younger, I would have made very different choices - but here I am. Ultimately I decided that serving was the most important thing for me, so I found the avenue that made the most sense (in my case, Navy DCO). I think you need to figure out if you want to fly or to serve in another capacity, and then pick the most logical path to pursue whichever of those you choose.
I think my priority has changed over multiple years. At first it started off as just wanting to fly for the Marines, to wanting to be a Marine, to wanting to fly for anyone, to now wanting to fly and/or serve for anyone. I know what I want, I think my hardest objective is letting go of something I've worked on for so many years

davidc1220

Doesn’t hurt to try, but you also need to start exploring Plan B.

What do you really look to gain from serving? A stamp of approval from an org you respect? A field in which to develop mastery? To pay back something given to you?

There are alternative paths to each of those, and others.
I honestly feel like this is something I want to do. Being a pilot would be phenomenal, but we don't know the future and anything can happen. Like I said my priority has changed as I've grown up to now just wanting to serve my country in some form of military capacity. Doesn't matter what branch.

Also I think I'm still hung up on the "Marine" culture and honestly I feel like I'm trying to chase something i was so close to achieving. I know I have to get over it and move on, but I guess that little "what if" thought keeps coming back until i do something

I'm learning to finally accept that everything in life happens for a reason, so when one door closes, usually another one will open somewhere else.

RoarkJr.

You still have time. Ask yourself how badly you want it. Become a pseudo-professional athlete for the next year. Train bjj or something similarly demanding at least 3x weekly, run ~2 times weekly (intermittent sprints mostly), eat and rest well, don’t get hurt. Polish up your package however else. Might not get an age waiver for aviation but still can go for ground, maybe UAS. That’s all if earning the title is top priority.