• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Is it possible...

Cougar_62

Just another frustrated observer.
You've been given a lot of good information here, so I'll just add a little more. My daughter is a Junior in High School and has been working towards the Academy for a couple of years. We found the book The Naval Academy Candidates Handbook; How to Prepare, How to Get in, How to Survive, very useful. It at least helped us know what questions to ask. It's available at Amazon.com http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0929311051/qid=1132088554/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1/103-5261728-5567829?v=glance&s=books

And to rephrase what some of the people have said before, the Academy is looking at the whole person, so grades are only a part of it. SAT or ACT score, extracuricular and leadership activities and sports are all important. If it's what you really want, don't let anyone tell you no.

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
I'll second Cougar on the book. I wish I'd had it when I was applying to USNA. I saw the book and reccomended it to a friend's little bro, and he didn't have to worry about half the isht that I did.

And his situation was more FUBAR'ed than mine. Needless to say, he's now a pleber and loving it as much as one can love being a pleber.

Definitely pick up a copy and take a gander.

sh89

Thanks to all who have replied. Although the credits are meaningless, community college could be seen as a prep school(where I could work on my math skills[not that I suck in math, but the more practice the better]).

What are some of the things that the academy will expect from a person who is transferring from a community college?(community service, what GPA specifically , honor classes, etc...)

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
What are some of the things that the academy will expect from a person who is transferring from a community college?(community service, what GPA specifically , honor classes, etc...)

Same thing as high school applicants. Continue to be well rounded, solid academics, whether or not you take on leadership roles (clubs, ECA's, etc.), sports, community service... yadda yadda yadda.

Just stay well rounded, keep your grades as high as you can, get involved in the community.

And they're not looking for a specific GPA. They take every situation as its own (theoretically) and evaluate it as such. They'll consider your circumstaces. Just do the best you can.

ChunksJR

Retired.
pilot
Contributor
2 key differences

Wow...you can "Win" a scholarship...I didn't get that scratch card... ;)

Not sure if you've gotten the chance to see the difference between the 2 programs, but they result in the same commission with a very slight advantage going to the USNA studs (namely higher lineal numbers than May NROTC grads). I'd recommend USNA if you are at all concerned about your study habits given other options...ie to party or not to party...to get a job or not to get a job...etc...I'd recommend NROTC if you are interested in a more "rounded" college experience. As Mark Twian said: "Don't let your studies interfere with your education."

Another big advantage of USNA (I feel as an NROTC product) is the student to teacher-ratio (read: No freshman Chem class of EVERY COLLEGE with 245+ studs) and career leadership. You are going to be a Naval Officer, and I believe that just about everyone teaching at the academy is/has been an officer at some point. If not, you have the access to them to get your questions/concerns answered. You didn't have that as much in NROTC...most of my 5-6 instructors/naval officers on the campus were too busy working on their own careers to concern themselves with mine...not that I was the most proactive Middie...but I digress. Just a few things to consider...

~D

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
As a product of The Boat School, Chunks has it about right. Alot of the professors are in the military or have been in the military at some point in thier lives, most officers. There are some enlisted lab instructors, and they are some of the most professional sailors I've come across.

As far as access to officers, its a pretty good deal. In your individual companies, you'll have a Navy LT or Marine Capt or Maj just for over sight, assisted by a Gunny, Chief or Sr. Chief. Not to mention you can always go to your instructors for guidance (I always went to one of my plebe year profs).

Class sizes are great too. Largest class I had was 23. Once you get into your major a bit, you'll get smaller classes. I had a computer science course with 8 students. My roommate had an aero class with 4 students.

xof

I graduated highschool with a 3.2 something and got in on my first shot. Granted, I graduated in three years (which involved going to a community college for high school credits), but the admissions board takes it on a case-by-case basis. 3.66 certainly doesn't seem like a show-stopper to me.

...and now to fly the mighty TH-57...

sh89

I purchased How To Win ROTC Scholarships and THe Naval Academy Candidate Book from Amazon, and I received both books today...

"Granted, I graduated in three years (which involved going to a community college for high school credits)"

I think I am going to do the same thing;I will be taking classes at a community college. This will make up for what I missed during being home-schooled(Not by choice of course ;) ).

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
Don't laugh at the ROTC book -- its got good advice and the guy who wrote it knows how the boards work. I used it (after most of my application) and ended up winning the scholarship.

sh89

DanMav1156 said:
Don't laugh at the ROTC book -- its got good advice and the guy who wrote it knows how the boards work. I used it (after most of my application) and ended up winning the scholarship.

Yes, it looks good. It even comes with 8 sample essays...