• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Is it possible...

sh89

IS it possible to go to a community college first, and then transfer to the Naval Academy? I know the answer is most likely no, but I decided to give this thread a shot(why not?). I know that there is a prep school, but you have to be accepted to that....

I am not competitive enough for the Academy with only a 10th grade GPA of 3.66, and a little lower from 9th(I didn't do well in 9th). However, is it at all possible to go from a community college to the academy?

gaijin6423

Ask me about ninjas!
Technically, yes, it is possible. And while I know a few people who went to regular universities before going to USNA, I can't think of anyone who went to a community college first. That doesn't mean no one's done it, though. I suggest you contact your local Blue & Gold Officer or the Admissions Department at USNA and inquire.

Oh, and if you're a solid applicant (other than your grades, which seem to be your concern here), you may want to keep NAPS as one of your options. If it's offered to you that is.

Good luck.
(Edited for me being a dumbass.)

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
IS it possible to go to a community college first, and then transfer to the Naval Academy? I know the answer is most likely no, but I decided to give this thread a shot(why not?). I know that there is a prep school, but you have to be accepted to that....

I am not competitive enough for the Academy with only a 10th grade GPA of 3.66, and a little lower from 9th(I didn't do well in 9th). However, is it at all possible to go from a community college to the academy?

One word answer... YES. I have a few classmates that did community college or 2 years at another college first.

Just know this... no transfer credits. You still have to spen all 4 years at USNA. You can validate some courses (take the test and get credit for the course w/out actually taking it).

If you want more info, shoot me a PM.

Also check out www.usna.edu.

phrogpilot73

Yup, you can. I had a long and arduous trek to USNA that included enlisting, 2 community colleges, and 1 four year university... But that's another story ;)

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
Concur with all the above. Just a quick comment, you wouldn't really be transferring, just like TheBubba was getting at. You don't do 2 years at a JC and then get Junior status at the Academy, you are a Plebe/Freshman just like everyone else. If you do validate a lot of courses (because of previous classes taken) it just frees up alot of time for electives at the end, or gives you more flexibility when you fail courses along the way.

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
HH, good point on the freeing up time. Those extra free periods are great.

The other thing you can do (if you're smart like my aero-major roommate) is overload plebe and youngster year and do one of two things:

1. Double major (avg. 20-22 credits a semester)

or
2. Graduate education starting 2nd semester firstie year (what my roommate did)

Me, I stayed on track.. no fancy stuff. The only class I validated was wrestling...

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
Nonetheless, keep trying your hardest in high school, begin contacting USNA to show interest, and if you do do the community college deal, make sure you do AWESOME there.

gaijin6423

Ask me about ninjas!
Just as a caution, though, let me offer one piece of advice. If you want to go to USNA, make sure that it REALLY is what you want to do. Make your decision and then execute your plan to the very best of your ability. I've seen damn fine people who worked ludicrously hard to get to Annapolis get discouraged by the system/academics/etc and leave. If you do find your way to USNA, just think of all that hard work you put in to get there when you're thinking of leaving, for whatever reason. Personally, I almost got booted, but that's a story for another day.

Fezz CB

"Spanish"
None
Nonetheless, keep trying your hardest in high school, begin contacting USNA to show interest

Agreed. I did 2 yrs community college while holding 3 jobs in CA and managed to earn an appointment and an nrotc scholarship.

Anything is possible my man. Question is: How bad do you want it? :D

ChunksJR

Retired.
pilot
Contributor
An idiom (I think that's what it's called) that I like to think of...especially since it sounds like you are in 10th grade and have plenty of time to lock down, avoid drugs like a lot of your friends won't do, and get As and Bs in honor classes (weighted GPA)...goes: "You can't be told NO unless you ask."

That's why I'm an aviator...I swore they wouldn't let me into GT because my GPA wasn't that great (didn't have a 3.66 in 10th grade, I'll tell you that) and they did...I swore they wouldn't let me into NROTC (again because of grades) and they did...I swore they wouldn't commission me OR let me fly (because of my heart surgery I had when I was 7) and they did...

Keep on keepin' on. You can accomplish your dreams...I'm living proof. BEEFCAKE!

~D

HalfBreed

None
Grades aren't everything. If a person graduated as valedictorian of their class, but the only thing they ever did was study, chances are they would not be accepted. The academy looks at many other things as well. Varsity sports, extracurricular clubs, part-time jobs, and volunteer work are all examples of things the academy likes to see.

Don't let your GPA discourage you from applying (not everyone who makes it to the academy has a 4.0). Even if you end up at a different college after HS, at least apply. You never know, you might be accepted.

phrogpilot73

I agree wholeheartedly with the above. Grades don't really mean that much. For Christ-sakes, I graduated from high school with a 1.96 GPA, and I've got a USNA diploma hanging on my wall. Anything is possible, it just all depends on how much you want it, and how hard you're willing to work for it.

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
I applied for the class of 2004. Original letter said no. I talked to my B&G officer about applying for 2005. Two weeks later, I was offered an appt. to NAPS (the prep school) I almost didnt graduate NAPS. (i had a 2.008 for final grades, had about a 1.9 through the year). Went to USNA, originally selected SWO (not my first choice), purely by luck was designated as an SNFO (absolute last day of class, about 3-4 weeks before graduation) and then graduated with a 2.5someting.

If I can do it, anyone can. He!!, I was told no on a few occaisions, but here I am sitting in P-cola waiting to class up. Anything can happen.

wiseguy04

The Dude abides....
pilot
Seriously, if your worried about your high school GPA, talk to your Blue and Gold Officer about Prep School. My GPA was worse than yours, and I was able to get in after prep school and a semester of community college. Doesn't have to be NAPS either, that's mostly just for recruited athletes. There are plenty of civilian prep schools out there as well, I recommend Northwestern. Talk to your B&G officer. Good luck!!!