• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Is it LASIK now and which one? Is PRK a safer bet?

biana

I can't seem to get a straight answer about which surgery to get. At first I was being told PRK because that is all the Navy has been approving but now I hear (or read in the Navy times rather) that LASIK is in the final stages getting approved. Do I wait for that to happen?

Is anyone in the same position as me in where they are trying to do the surgery on their own and trying to get their package together?

badger16

None
I'm in the same spot you are and was told by my recruiter that there are contact waivers available...I'm still trying to get a straight answer from him on that before I send in my package. I'm pretty sure only PRK is what they are allowing right now. But that is only from the stuff I've read online and on here. Not for sure.

statesman

Shut up woman... get on my horse.
pilot
I have talked to an ophthalmologist who is a good family friend and he says unequivocally that PRK is the way to go. Also even though the Navy is looking into LASIK I have not seen anything that makes me think its a sure thing.

As far as I know LASIK is still disqualifying for flight.

Cavt

Living the dream
pilot
From what I understand LASIK is a no no because of the way the procedure is done. If you ever plan on being a pilot or doing any high elevation mountain climbing you can't have LASIK because your eyeball will explode(something about pressuring building inside the eye)...all what I have been told, not sure what truth there is to it, but exploding eyes, yeah not too much fun...

kmac

Coffee Drinker
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
If you ever plan on being a pilot or doing any high elevation mountain climbing you can't have LASIK because your eyeball will explode(something about pressuring building inside the eye)...

No way. I heard, from a reliable source, that your eyeball may MELT due to atmospheric changes (think density altitude people!) and the interaction with the scar tissue that has formed. Seriously, don't do LASIK.

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
That's right, they MELT!!!

This guy had it done.....and he got no problems.

poppin.jpg

Huggy Bear

pilot
US News and world report had a big article about it a month ago. In short, they said Lasik has the quickest and most painless recovery, but a greater chance for something to go wrong or for your eyes to revert. PRK is more painful and can take a week or more from which to recover, but is more permanent and less risky.

othromas

AEDO livin’ the dream
pilot
Just to be devil's advocate here, I remember reading a post on a separate board (which of course means it's true, since it's on the internet, right?) by an eye doc who was saying that the Navy's LASIK study had gone exceptionally well. Just a guess, but I'd say it'll probably be coming out eventually.

My doc at home told me that while it is true that initially LASIK can be more prone to problems (epithelial layer growing under the flap, etc), there is essentially no difference that he could see between the surgeries after a certain period of time.

Just my $0.02.

mxracer19

Hanging out in K-Vegas.
The contact waiver was only in effect for aviation applicants for a brief time period, and I believe I read about someone on this board who had his waiver pulled when they cancelled the program and subsequently had to get PRK. Currently, I believe the contact waiver is in effect for current aviators who's vision has degraded, however they must keep an extra set of glasses with them when they fly, the contacts must be be an approved model/brand, and the person must have a certain documented trial time-period. LASIK is currently disqualifing; PRK is the only accepted procedure, however as others have said, the Navy is finishing up with their LASIK study...I'm not sure when we will see the results. I've been researching alot of this pretty extensively, and you can find the information on the NAMI site.

http://www.nomi.med.navy.mil/NAMI/index.htm

Take it easy,
Matt

Skeet

Banned
I had PRK. I'm over 45 yrs old and can see almost anything. I can actually see better than my gunners, who are 20 years younger than I am, but maybe that's just me.

MOD Note: The authenticity of this poster has been challenged due to irregularities in posts and misleading responses to mod queries as well as pattern of behavior similiar to known poser "Snort"

ljm9304

I had intralasik 2 weeks ago by a very reputable doc, went well, 20/15 and 20/20, with night vision improving everyday. He said that the only way you will have problems with all of the things being mentioned (minus nightvision) is if you do these activities within 2-4 days post op. Not that it matters to me, I am enlisting this year and wont be submitting anything for sna for at least 4 years. GL to all

sharp452

question....who pays for either procedure? is that something thats coming out of our pocket? and if so how much do these type of vision corrections costs!?

FastMover

NFO
None
question....who pays for either procedure? is that something thats coming out of our pocket? and if so how much do these type of vision corrections costs!?

If you're in the process of applying to the military you will have to pay for it yourself. However, I have heard others say that their doctors offered military discounts to them even though they weren't "in" yet.

I paid around $3400 when I had it done in March. My insurance paid for $600, so all together it was around $4000. Worth every red cent.

whitesoxnation

pilot
Contributor
The contact waiver was only in effect for aviation applicants for a brief time period, and I believe I read about someone on this board who had his waiver pulled when they cancelled the program and subsequently had to get PRK.

Might be referencing someone else, but thats what happend to me