• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

IS GERD waiverable?

marissa_ann1

I was disqualified for GERD and IBS. I did not know I had GERD until I was getting medical records from the past 5 years to submit with my pre commissioning physical. I have never taken any medication for it. I had some stomach issues in 2014 when trying to reintroduce meat back into my diet after being a vegetarian for 5 years and it was diagnosed as IBS and apparently GERD. Instead of taking a bunch of medication I just chose to cut meat out of my diet again. Since then I have had no issues

I was just wondering if GERD is waiverable?

I have searched the forums for information on GERD but there seems to be no clear answer on this.
I have asked my recruiter but they were not sure and stated that they have never seen one granted.

I also looked at the waiver guide but it appears it is not waiverable for applicants?
http://www.med.navy.mil/sites/nmotc/nami/arwg/Pages/AeromedicalReferenceandWaiverGuide.aspx

exNavyOffRec

so you are looking in the wrong part, you need to look at the Navy Medical Manual for new accessions.

however I have had applicants with GERD and non were given a waiver.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
I had a fellow OR with an applicant with a GERD issue and she was PDQ’d by N3M. This happened before the new N3M Doctor, who is even more strict and less lenient towards waivers.

I still say submit the waiver, but your chances are very grim...

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Is it possible to make it in the Navy, especially at OCS, et al., as a vegetarian?

Interesting, related article, about health impacts and solutions.
http://www.independent.co.uk/life-s...egetarian-to-confirmed-carnivore-8505787.html
I know it has been discussed on here, but it doesn't sound like a lot of fun in an institutional eating context.

Vegetarianism is stupid. There, I said it. I have vegetarians in my family... and they're all stupid, and miserable. I've heard all the nutritional and ethical arguments - meh. Vegetarians will rarely admit to this, but at the core of many of them is an impulse to waive their arms vigorously in an effort to seem different/interesting/more evolved than the rest of us. It's an excuse to be difficult at restaurants, dinner parties and social occasions.

Vegetarianism is really nothing more than graduate level attention-whoring. /RANT

exNavyOffRec

Is it possible to make it in the Navy, especially at OCS, et al., as a vegetarian?

Interesting, related article, about health impacts and solutions.
http://www.independent.co.uk/life-s...egetarian-to-confirmed-carnivore-8505787.html

I worked on a carrier with a person in my department that was a vegetarian, and the answer is it can work, but difficult, the person I worked with was able to do it but only because her supervisor overlooked rules violations, storing all types of food in her rack, unauthorized refrigerator in work space, etc......

jmcquate

Contributor
I worked on a carrier with a person in my department that was a vegetarian, and the answer is it can work, but difficult, the person I worked with was able to do it but only because her supervisor overlooked rules violations, storing all types of food in her rack, unauthorized refrigerator in work space, etc......

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
I know it has been discussed on here, but it doesn't sound like a lot of fun in an institutional eating context.

Vegetarianism is stupid. There, I said it. I have vegetarians in my family... and they're all stupid, and miserable. I've heard all the nutritional and ethical arguments - meh. Vegetarians will rarely admit to this, but at the core of many of them is an impulse to waive their arms vigorously in an effort to seem different/interesting/more evolved than the rest of us. It's an excuse to be difficult at restaurants, dinner parties and social occasions.

Vegetarianism is really nothing more than graduate level attention-whoring. /RANT
This would be a fun, cross-thread discussion: Long term vegetarian diet changes human DNA raising risk of cancer and heart disease

RAMJAC

And this is graduate-level ranting. With honors.

marissa_ann1

Why would you want to fly with IBS or GERD?

Because I haven't had issues with either since I stopped eating meat in 2014? I am not even sure that I have them. I was a vegetarian for a long time and began eating meat again in college and began having stomach issues. I saw a doctor who just said IBS and GERD in the five minutes he saw me and sent me on my way. I never took any medication for it. I stopped eating meat and everything went back to normal.

marissa_ann1

I had a fellow OR with an applicant with a GERD issue and she was PDQ’d by N3M. This happened before the new N3M Doctor, who is even more strict and less lenient towards waivers.

I still say submit the waiver, but your chances are very grim...

My recruiter seemed to not even want me to submit a waiver. I think it is time for me to give up. Thank you for the advice though!

exNavyOffRec

My recruiter seemed to not even want me to submit a waiver. I think it is time for me to give up. Thank you for the advice though!

after you have had a few people DQ by N3M and the N3M doc tell you that there are many others out there that won't need waivers you kind of feel that you are giving people false hope and wasting their time by submitting a waiver. I would always tell them the hard facts and if they wanted to go through with it they could.