• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Is Flight Training a PCS for SNFO's if you have dependents?

Jt11red

I've been looking on the forums but air warriors excludes "PCS" and has no matches for "Permanent Change of Station" for what I'm looking for. Posting to NFO's because I was selected for it and because I see they are at Pensacola for longer than most SNA's tend to be. After OCS and heading to Florida, is this considered a PCS? I have a Fiance and son, so was curious if they are able to join out there? Any insight on this or insight/tips for API, etc... would be greatly appreciated!

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I've been looking on the forums but air warriors excludes "PCS" and has no matches for "Permanent Change of Station" for what I'm looking for. Posting to NFO's because I was selected for it and because I see they are at Pensacola for longer than most SNA's tend to be. After OCS and heading to Florida, is this considered a PCS? I have a Fiance and son, so was curious if they are able to join out there? Any insight on this or insight/tips for API, etc... would be greatly appreciated!
Yes, SNFOs get PCS orders to Pensacola. For folks with dependents (Your fiancé does not count as a dependent but your son does), they will be allowed to accompany you.

Tip: rent a house/apartment outside the back gate. It will dramatically reduce your commute during your flight training.

jointhelocalizer

pilot
Moving down to Pensacola is considered a PCS. Since all CNATRA NFO training is conducted aboard NAS Pensacola, transferring from NASC to TRAWING SIX is not considered a PCS. You will get orders to TRAWING SIX from NASC, but they won't include a PCS. It is the same deal for Whiting SNAs. They aren't moving far away enough for a PCS, so some stay in the Pensacola area and others move closer to Milton on their own dime and time.

Advice for NIFE:

1. Time Management is key. A lot of pink sheets can be avoided by prioritizing studying. NIFE doesn't have to be your life, but it will be an intense few weeks.

2. NIFE pubs will sometimes provide info that just doesn't make sense or some correctness is lost due to simplification of a concept. Press the I Believe button for that stuff. You are tested on that material and that material alone. NIFE is all about fundamental concepts, not in-depth studies. Ask for gouge from other studs early and often. Your classmates will have it. All it takes is for someone to know someone in an earlier class. Cross-check gouge with the pubs though. Gouge should supplement the pubs, not replace them.

3. RTFQ (Read the Full Question) and RTFA (Read the Full Answers). The tests are pretty straight forward, so they will make small nit noid changes to the question or answers to catch people who aren't giving the requisite level of attention to detail. The most difficult test in NIFE is Navigation. Buy a whiz wheel before you class up. You can learn how to use it on your own time and a few reps a day (the practice problems are in the Nav pub and all the NIFE pubs are available to access to prior to starting) will make you more confident and faster. Speed and accuracy equals success on the Nav test.

4. Don't neglect the easy wins. Be organized with all your paperwork when you check in. Workout (saw multiple people get a pink sheet for failing the APIT). The 1.5 mi run is on the track now (I know the current generation is soft and all that). Also, head over the NASC pool if you are uncomfortable in the water. Get comfortable swimming underwater, the four strokes (freestyle, sidestroke, breast stroke, elementary backstroke), treading, and prone floating. Those are easy ways to avoid a pink sheet. Being organized prevents check-in issues.

5. NASC is not organized in the slightest and in my opinion a bit adversarial towards students. The VTs are better. Play the game, show up at the right place at the right time in the right uniform and don't miss muster. Be your own advocate on stuff. If Flight Management needs to do something for you, stay on them or you will get lost in translation. Staff turnover is pretty high in Flight Management. However, give the people in FM compassion since nobody wanted to be there and a fair amount of the staff is there since they attrited and awaiting final disposition, on med hold, or otherwise have some issue with classing up. They hear the "Why did X happen/not happen?" line all the time and it is hard to be happy listening to another ENS complain about not classing up fast enough.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
@jointhelocalizer brings up some good points. Additionally, while you’re waiting to class up, attend morning A-pool muster then go PT (Run, swim, gym, etc) THEN enjoy your time off before the next wicket. NIFE & VTs will test your ability to study (rote memorization) and regurgitate the info to pass the test/flight. Both self study AND group study will help (cooperate to graduate).