• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Is extensive traveling a plus/minus for Navy OCS apps?

nbloom

Hey everyone,

I'll be taking a gap year from college next year and got lucky to be able to travel to ~30 countries next year. After I graduate in 2017, I'm hoping to get into Navy OCS. For Intel, Supply, and SWO (the ones I most likely will be ranking)...would extensive travel be helpful or hurtful to an application?

mb1685

I'd imagine it wouldn't have much bearing on your package itself, but it will probably make your security clearance investigation pretty interesting.

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I'll be taking a gap year from college next year and got lucky to be able to travel to ~30 countries next year.
It shouldn't affect your OCS application one way or t'other (unless you are age limit sensitive)?

Suggest you avoid the middle east in your travels!:eek:
BzB

nbloom

okay good to hear that it won't hurt.

it's a world tour with a music group, and we wont spend more than 5 days in each country....but it's all continents so we likely will hit a couple of middle eastern countries.

exNavyOffRec

Hey everyone,

I'll be taking a gap year from college next year and got lucky to be able to travel to ~30 countries next year. After I graduate in 2017, I'm hoping to get into Navy OCS. For Intel, Supply, and SWO (the ones I most likely will be ranking)...would extensive travel be helpful or hurtful to an application?

Keep track of where you go and dates, as well as references on the trip (the people with you).

The things that will really help you is if you have a high GPA (that is for all), Supply prefers degree in business or finance, Intel prefers degree in tech, SWO doesn't matter, however the other thing is SWO won't see your application unless it is listed 1 or 2, and Intel and Supply generally only pick people that list their designator 1st.

JollyGood

Flashing Dome
pilot
okay good to hear that it won't hurt.

it's a world tour with a music group, and we wont spend more than 5 days in each country....but it's all continents so we likely will hit a couple of middle eastern countries.

My background investigation was pretty extensive because of my world travel, family in other countries, and my dual citizenship. I cannot emphasize enough/echo what everyone else is saying. TAKE GOOD NOTES!

My investigation went very smoothly though it was thorough because I had all the information lined up properly.
The investigator handling it said he was glad to see that I was organized because he has see other investigations go south quickly and take forever if the details are in order.