• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

IRR and Conditional Release

SeaStud19

I'm looking for some guidance as to whether or not I should resign my commission from the IRR or just fill out a DD-368 form to get released. I signed a contract for the Inactive reserves after being discharged from active duty. I want to go to Marine OCS and go back to active duty but I am being told that I can only do an Interservice transfer from the IRR to USMCR which is not what I am trying to do. I am under the impression that I am free to join another branch of service as long as I have a DD-368 filled out.

Does anyone know why I am being told I can't be released from the IRR to join the marines in an active duty component?

OnTopTime

ROBO TACCO
None
I'm not quite sure what you're asking. Who is telling you what? It's important to realize (not saying you don't) that the DD-368 is a conditional release form specifically used for interservice transfers. In other words, your current service must approve and sign off on it, signifying that if you get accepted into another branch, you will be released from your current branch. In your case, it's up to the Marine Corps to determine how they will process an applicant from another branch. When I was doung USNR recruiting, the standard method was to use a DD-368. You have a minimum service obligation (MSO). If the Navy wants to hold you to it, they will prefer a conditional release, as opposed to accepting a resignation of your commission.

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor
Your bio says you're going to BUDS but your post says your trying to get USMC OCS... So what exactly do you want to do in the military?