• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Ironman Weighted Vest

srqwho

pilot
I've heard the stretch/no stretch theories, but stretching works well for me. I would think that a lot of it has to do with individual physiology. And if you've never stretched how do you know that it won't improve your running form? But I know many runners, many who are fast, who do not stretch at all. A lot of stretching for me is about range of motion and joint mobility, and I've heard that stretching helps reduce lactic acid build-up after workouts... which means faster recovery, and improved following workouts. But, porw0004, if you haven't stretched, it might not hurt to give it a shot to see if that helps the back pain, and if there are no results then stop stretching. Also, just curious, is the pain a soreness or a stinging/sharp pain?

Like it was mentioned, warming-up is equally as important if not more.

porw0004

standard-issue stud v2.0
pilot
I always do static stretches, not because of personal preference, just because I never was taught that the brief duration repetition that you mentioned as an alternative. I do a 12 count sitting v-legged forward reach, then grab each foot for 12 counts in the same sitting-v, pull my legs in for a 15 count butterfly groin stretch, tuck my legs under my ass and lay back for 12 count stretch on both quads, and finish with 12 count stretches on both calves, kinda like doing push-ups with your ass in the air.

After reading those articles and people's advice, I'm probably gonna throw in some hammy and glut stretches as one of those articles suggested that uneven muscle usage could be pulling the spine/pelvis out of alignment. Never focused on stretching my back before either, figure it wouldn't hurt to try.

The vast majority of the time it's a very dull ache that I barely notice. However, certain movements can cause it to become quite sharp, specifically when I straiten up after leaning forward and to the right. The pain is approx 3-4" above my tailbone, and about 1-2" left of my spine.

srqwho

pilot
The type of stretching I was talking about is called active isolated stretching. I actually know the founder, Aaron Mattes, personally and have worked with him in the past when I played college football (I was a kicker). The reason for the 2 second stretch/release is what is called the stretch-reflex, which happens when a muscle is stretched beyond what is normal. From my understanding, by holding a stretch for 2 seconds, and then repeating, the stretch-reflex is not initiated and so with every 2 sec rep you can go further... and improve flexibility. Aaron's site is: http://www.stretchingusa.com/ . There is also a FAQ section which explains that weak abs and tight hamstrings are a cause for low back pain.

The location of you pain sounds like an SI (sacroiliac) joint problem. Here's a link for some info with symptoms: http://www.sportsinjuryclinic.net/cybertherapist/back/buttocks/sacroiliac.htm

But again, the internet is only good to a point... the doc will get the pain straightened out for you... but it never hurt to go in armed with little knowledge.

porw0004

standard-issue stud v2.0
pilot
Those symptoms sound spot on.. except for the part about pain radiating into my testicles.

Thanks for all the info. Definately doesn't sound like anything to be concerned about, will still have it checked in a week. If there was ever a time in my life to be deathly afraid of getting injured, I'm thinking it's now until I hopefully get winged.

srqwho

pilot
If the June boards go well for me I will also be a bit more hesitant to take risks and get injured.

Hope the doc has good news regarding the back pain.