• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Ironman Weighted Vest

jt71582

How do you fly a Clipper?
pilot
Contributor
Is anyone here working out with the Ironman Weighted Vest (up to 40lbs added)?

weighted_vest.jpg

I just got one of these for a graduation gift and worked out with it today, I loved it. I did a 2 mile run with 20lbs added, as well as pushups and situps. I recommend it to anyone who has hit a plateau in their workout and is looking for something to add a little extra. It'll be interesting to see if this improves my 1.5 mile time, I'll keep you all posted.

Morgan81

It's not my lawn. It's OUR lawn.
pilot
Contributor
I've been training with one for a few months now. I ran my best time at the last PRT and I'm feeling better each time I run. I'm sold on it 100%.

lmnop

While I haven't used the Ironman specifically, I have used weighted vests of one variety or another for PT. I really like them for pullups, sprints or short runs (<1 mile). The workout Murph, which has been mentioned on here, from Crossfit is a great example of incorporating it. I'd be cautious about performing long runs with the weight vest though as it adds alot of wear and tear on your parts and pieces, specifically your lower back. But, my lower back feels like hammered dogshit most of the time, so my opinion may be skewed.

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
I think those things are a great training aid. OP was right about the training plateau.

Tyler

!
pilot
Contributor
I wear one while in bed with my lady friends. It's improved my thrusts by 50/minute.

srqwho

pilot
I prefer chugging a carbonated beverage and gorilla gluing candy bars to my legs as a way to add weight... and I'm guaranteed a sweet reward when the workout is over. In all seriousness I have heard great things about those vests and am planning on buying one. I also have the luxury of living near a beach, and running with ankle weights in the sand also is effective at improving your running times.

DSL1990

VMI Cadet 4/c, MIDN 4/c
could this add additional stress to knees and shin? we don't use anything like this in cross-country training, and i'm wondering why, unless its bad for your knees or something.

nzachman

Yeah, well. The Dude abides.
I would assume that a vest would be terrible for your knees. It is just like being overweight and having that stress put on your fragile tendons and cartilage in your knees. Otherwise, I have used these when I was in high school and they helped me increase my strength. If the price is right, I'd go for it.

srqwho

pilot
I'd think that it would mimic using the donut on a baseball bat before going to bat. I'm sure it improves strength, but more than likely it is just as much in your head... which is great too. I would be cautious though... your body is used to YOUR body weight, and if you get a little excited and start slapping an extra 20+ lbs and running 10 miles you may be in for an injury. I run quite a bit, and the best thing I seen (although really queer looking) are the parachutes that sprinters wear. I've heard that using them a couple times a week for shorter efforts helps a lot. Once a week or so I also have a friend sit in his compact car (in neutral) and I push it on flat land 30 secs at a time (about 10 reps). This burns a lot!!! but helps with the strength. But, running is mostly a technique sport. Obviously strength and endurance are necessary, but good running form is most important. My PRT 1.5 mile run is an 8:40... and other than the car pushing every once in a while, I don't do any strength work. If you have the time, there should be local running clinics (there are where I live) that help people with gait, picking the right shoe, etc.

Morgan81

It's not my lawn. It's OUR lawn.
pilot
Contributor
could this add additional stress to knees and shin? we don't use anything like this in cross-country training, and i'm wondering why, unless its bad for your knees or something.
Your body does take a pounding and it kicked my ass for about a week till I got used to it. I run on the beach so it's as easy as it could be on my joints and only run for 3 miles with some sprints thrown in. If you're a long distance runner, I wouldn't advise using this. I know a bunch of guys who play basketball with one on and it didn't hurt any of them....that I know of. I'll keep the medical opinions to the docs.