• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Iraqi Pilot Training

HuggyU2

None
The USAF is starting to send pilots to Iraq to teach the new Iraqi air force to fly. The assignments are 1 year, and you're flying in a Cessna 182 or 206.
Are any of you Navy/Marine types getting assigned to flying tours similar to this?

ChunksJR

Retired.
pilot
Contributor
The USAF is starting to send pilots to Iraq to teach the new Iraqi air force to fly. The assignments are 1 year, and you're flying in a Cessna 182 or 206.
Are any of you Navy/Marine types getting assigned to flying tours similar to this?

Not that I've heard in the training command, but $hit, sign me up!

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Seems like it maybe be putting the cart before the horse a little bit.

Believe it or not, they actually have some aircraft. Now, whether or not they use them.....:confused:

Probably want to read this before you go, it says it is a free download.....52 pages worth, but probably something you would want to read before you do somthing like this.

http://www.washingtoninstitute.org/templateC04.php?CID=274

More links on the Iraqi AF:

http://www.mnf-iraq.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1581&Itemid=128

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iraqi_Air_Force

Iraqi AF dudes: http://bbs.keyhole.com/ubb/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/23076/Main/23076

Last item on the page:
http://www.defenseindustrydaily.com/cat/lobbying/page/3/

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
Geeez....and I thought TC-12 to P-3C was going to be a big transition. These characters are going from a Stationair to a Herc.:eek:

pennst8

Next guy to ask about thumbdrives gets shot.
Contributor
Why not just bring the Iraqi pilots over here and train them in our existing training facilities? I mean we already teach international students... what's a few more.

By the way does this mean in addition to getting drafted to drive all the way to destin/mobile for IFS every day, that someone is gonna have to take that baghdad slot?:eek:

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Why not just bring the Iraqi pilots over here and train them in our existing training facilities? I mean we already teach international students... what's a few more.

By the way does this mean in addition to getting drafted to drive all the way to destin/mobile for IFS every day, that someone is gonna have to take that baghdad slot?:eek:

Yeah, it seems like small arms fire wouldn't really be conducive to a good "training environment", at least at that level of training. Get em in some AF T-6's

usmcecho4

pilot

Because despite what we say, we don't really trust them.

Semper Fi,
usmcecho4

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Yeah, it seems like small arms fire wouldn't really be conducive to a good "training environment", at least at that level of training. Get em in some AF T-6's

Small arms fire? They call that "motivation..."

As for using the T-6, I think that would be akin to putting you straight in a P-3 or F-18. It's not like they have the screening process that you have been and continue to be going through.

Don't have the bandwidth to click Flash's links, but there's lots of programs looking at various COTS or existing aircraft for over there. There's even one group that keeps calling about the T-34. Not necessarily practical, but one more option.

kejo

pilot
I would hesitate before sending some Iraqi flight students to Pensacola...not much of a morale boost to see what their country will probably look like in a few years...bombed out and full of Taco Bells.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
It's not quite as bombed out as 2 years ago, but what it lacks in civilization, it makes up for w/ Waffle Houses.

llnick2001

it’s just malfeasance for malfeasance’s sake
pilot
Seems like it maybe be putting the cart before the horse a little bit.

I guess what I'm wondering is do they really need pilots right now? Sure it'd be nice, but with the shit show that place is, I would think there would be a better use for resources at the moment.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Oh...but the Saudi's we trust????!!!!:confused:

Gonna have to find a better explanation than that.

Agreed. I'm the OIC of the Saudi's at Whiting and I know, there are folks watching if you know what I mean. We train Navy pilots but I'm sure the AF probably has a similar program. It might be a cost thing, the Saudi's can afford to send their students here, pay them per deim, the cost of flight training, etc. Maybe not cost effective at the moment.