• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Iraqi colleagues killed U.S. soldiers, military says

Birdman

Iraqi colleagues killed U.S. soldiers, military says
Wednesday, June 21, 2006; Posted: 11:11 a.m. EDT (15:11 GMT)
SAN FRANCISCO, California (AP) -- Two California soldiers shot to death in Iraq were murdered by Iraqi civil-defense officers patrolling with them, military investigators have found.

The deaths of Army Spc. Patrick R. McCaffrey Sr. and 1st Lt. Andre D. Tyson were originally attributed to an ambush during a patrol near Balad, Iraq, on June 22, 2004.

But the Army's Criminal Investigation Command found that one or more of the Iraqis attached to the American soldiers on patrol fired at them, a military official said Tuesday. (Watch a mother's quest for truth -- 1:26)

A Pentagon spokesman knew of no other similar incident, calling it "extremely rare."

The Army has conducted an extensive investigation into the deaths but declined to provide details out of respect for relatives of the soldiers, spokesman Paul Boyce said Tuesday evening.

It was unclear whether the investigators had established a motive or arrested any suspects.

The families of McCaffrey and Tyson were to be briefed on the report's conclusions Tuesday and Wednesday by Brig. Gen. Oscar Hilman, the soldiers' commander at the time, and three other officers.

"When they come I have my list of questions ready, and I want these answers and I don't want lies," McCaffrey's mother, Nadia McCaffrey, said.

Soldiers who witnessed the attack have told her that two Iraqi patrolmen opened fire on her son's unit. The witnesses also said a third gunman simultaneously drove up to the American unit in a van, climbed onto the vehicle and fired at the Americans, she said.

"Nothing is clear. Nothing is clear," she said. Her son was shot eight times by bullets of various calibers, some of which penetrated his body armor, she said. She believes he bled to death.

Nadia McCaffrey has become a vocal critic of the war in Iraq, and said her son had reservations about it, too, though he served well and was promoted posthumously to sergeant.

"I really want this story to come out; I want people to know what happened to my son," she said. "There is no doubt to me that this (ambushes by attached Iraqi units) is still happening to soldiers today, but our chain of command is awfully reckless; they don't seem to give a damn about what's happening to soldiers."

Iraqi forces who had trained with the Americans had fired at them twice before the incident that killed Patrick McCaffrey, and he had reported it to his superiors, she said.

Boyce said the U.S. military remained confident in its operations with Iraqis.

"We continue to have confidence in our operations with Iraqi soldiers and have witnessed the evolution of a stronger fighting army for the Iraqi people," he said.

Patrick McCaffrey joined the National Guard the day after the terrorist attacks of September 11, 2001, his mother said.

Tyson's family could not be located, and a message left with his former unit was not immediately returned.

McCaffrey, 34, and Tyson, 33, were members of the California National Guard. Both were assigned to the Army National Guard's 579th Engineer Battalion, based in Petaluma.

Sen. Barbara Boxer, D-California, pressed the Pentagon for answers about the case when Nadia McCaffrey was unsatisfied by explanations from the military.

"Mrs. McCaffrey is set to receive a briefing from Pentagon officials (Wednesday) afternoon in California, during which we hope they will provide her with a full report of the facts surrounding Sgt. McCaffrey's death," said Natalie Ravitz, a Boxer spokeswoman.

ChunksJR

Retired.
pilot
Contributor
I feel sorry for their loss...but I am afraid...another possible left wing campaign to show how we are failing to properly train Iraqis???

Ugh...I hate politix.

Birdman

No doubt the left will use this to "prove" many things, and they try to pretend the zarqawi thing didn't happen

beau

must be nice going through life with blinders and a instant memory purge button. ....lollypops....dancing fairys......and what else.......free drugs ....oh wait drugs are what cause those silly illusions...my bad.

xmid

pilot
Contributor
This pisses me off. I mean WTF do these mothers think their sons are going to do when they join the Army/Navy/National guard etc.? Blow sunshine and rainbows out of their ass at the enemy? No, they are going to be put in harms way to defend our freedom and this nations ideals... and you don't get to decide when you are going, or what wars you are going to fight in. The fact is, he signed on the dotted line. If shes gonna be pissed at anyone it should be him, he VOLUNTEERED to go over there. She says shes not satisfied with the explanation that the Army gave her? Too bad. Their job is not to satisfy her, its to win a war. They told her what happened-even did an investigation, but the fact of the matter is war is hell. People die and sh!t happens.

As far as the "friendlys" turning on us, if this is so prevailant how come we haven't heard of it before now? I'm sure the liberal assed media would be chomping at the bit as soon as the got wind of it. And 8 gun shot wounds of different calibers? How many different calibers? Because chances are if its more than 2 it wasnt the two Iraqis that were with them. Just the fact that there are more than one indicates it wasn't these two guys cause they were probably carrying similar weapons.

This lady claims that she has been "told by other (un-named) soldiers that were there" that his unit was fired on by two iraqi patrolmen and a third man. How the hell did 3 people take out part of a convoy, without IED's or RPG's? It seems to me that calling your dead friends mother and talking about a situation that was still under investigation would bring pretty stiff penalties.

Something just doesn't add up here. Does this woman want the Army to say they screwed up? They put her son in jeopardy? They trained the wrong people? What good would that do, even if it were true? I just don't see what she thinks shes going to win by fighting this fight. That being said, I understand she is a grieving mother and it may be natural for her to be bitter and irrational. I just get tired of everyone blaming the government like there is some big conspiracy to try to kill off as many of our own citizens as we can.

(End of Rant/)

xmid

pilot
Contributor
usmcecho4, I think you missed the point. They quote the "pentagon official" and then later state that the woman's son told her that it had already happened to him twice. Someone here is not being completely truthful, either "nothing similar to this has ever happened" or it previously happened to this kid-TWICE! The whole slant of the article is that the Army is not giving answers, and the governement is holding back, aka "pentagon official" is trying to hide the truth...

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
xmid said:
usmcecho4, I think you missed the point. They quote the "pentagon official" and then later state that the woman's son told her that it had already happened to him twice. Someone here is not being completely truthful, either "nothing similar to this has ever happened" or it previously happened to this kid-TWICE! The whole slant of the article is that the Army is not giving answers, and the governement is holding back, aka "pentagon official" is trying to hide the truth...
OMG THE LIBRULZ MEDIA IS LOSING TEH WAR

Xmid, think about it this way... the "Pentagon official" hasn't talked to this guy's mom, so he would have no way of knowing that something similar to this has ever happened.

beau said:
must be nice going through life with blinders and a instant memory purge button. ....lollypops....dancing fairys......and what else.......free drugs ....oh wait drugs are what cause those silly illusions...my bad.
VICE PRES. CHENEY: I think things have gotten so bad inside Iraq from the standpoint of the Iraqi people, my belief is we will, in fact, be greeted as liberators.

MR. RUSSERT: If your analysis is not correct and we’re not treated as liberators but as conquerors and the Iraqis begin to resist particularly in Baghdad, do you think the American people are prepared for a long, costly and bloody battle with significant American casualties?

VICE PRES. CHENEY: Well, I don’t think it’s unlikely to unfold that way, Tim, because I really do believe we will be greeted as liberators.

Memory purge button, indeed.

Birdman

squorch2 said:
Xmid, think about it this way... the "Pentagon official" hasn't talked to this guy's mom, so he would have no way of knowing that something similar to this has ever happened.

I think if something like this had happened before there would be an after action report and the pentagon would know. I doubt his MOTHER is more in the loop then the fvcking pentagon.

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
Birdman1 said:
I think if something like this had happened before there would be an after action report and the pentagon would know. I doubt his MOTHER is more in the loop then the fvcking pentagon.
I agree... I actually think what happened is one guy thought that he and his buddies were being shot at by Iraqi forces, told his superiors and his mom, except it didn't pan out with his superiors for whatever reason.