• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Iranian SOF Operative captured in Iraq

Junkball

"I believe in ammunition"
pilot
Imagine that.

What's the deal with this reliance on mosques/religion to combat the coalition? I thought these objects sacred to them, or are some of the fighters not exactly practitioners?

Slammer2

SNFO Advanced, VT-86 T-39G/N
Contributor
They're only sacred to them if we attack them in response to fuckers using them for that purpose. Other than that, they're great weapons deopts for them.

BlackBearHockey

go blue...
What's the deal with this reliance on mosques/religion to combat the coalition? I thought these objects sacred to them, or are some of the fighters not exactly practitioners?

From what I understand based on a handful of books I've read (and that alone), in early Islam, Mosques were routinely used as community centers as much as places of worship. Subsequently, when the community, much more tribal in nature than current times, was at war, the most accessible rally point was the mosque. In such times, the place of worship became an armory. Theorists in my readings have suggested that it's a much more common practice than people perceive.

Again, no offense intended, just throwing out what I've heard.

Single Seat

Average member
pilot
None
The Iraqi's should try him as a spy, and for espionage.

"Boy's! I think it's time we had a hangin!"
Buford.JPG

Zissou

Banned
From what I understand based on a handful of books I've read (and that alone), in early Islam, Mosques were routinely used as community centers as much as places of worship. Subsequently, when the community, much more tribal in nature than current times, was at war, the most accessible rally point was the mosque. In such times, the place of worship became an armory. Theorists in my readings have suggested that it's a much more common practice than people perceive.

Again, no offense intended, just throwing out what I've heard.

That's been my personal experience as well. Different tribes treat their mosques with varying degrees of reverence. Some places mosques were used as TOC's (Najaf, Kufa) and some were avoided by the enemy and used as refuge by civilians. It really varied based on needs at the time and the local Imam's ruling.

I've been eagerly invited into the Grand Mosque in Najaf, one of the holiest sites of Shi'ite Islam. The same mosque also served as a weapons cache for the Mahdi Army in 2004.