• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Iran Nuclear NIE

FlyinSpy

Mongo only pawn, in game of life...
Contributor
http://i.a.cnn.net/cnn/2007/images/12/03/iran.nie.pdf

I would highly recommend that anyone interested in WMD issues in specific or intelligence in general take a good look at the declassified Iran Nuclear National Intelligence Estimate (NIE) - and I mean read it, not just skim it. I recommend this for two reasons:

1) This is an excellent example of the structure and verbage of what real finished intelligence reporting looks like.

2) You really need to read it fairly closely to see that the headlines and the sound bites in the media are not even coming close to capturing the true substance of the report. It does *not* say that Iran has been wrongly accused of having a nuclear weapons program - they had one, they just suspended it because of perceptions that external pressures made it in their best interests to cease.

Two of the more salient points that haven't gotten a lot of press are towards the end:

a) "We do not have sufficient intelligence to judge confidently whether Tehran is willing to maintain the halt of its nuclear weapons program indefinitely while it weighs its options, or whether it will or already has set specific deadlines or criteria that will prompt it to restart the program."

b) "We assess with moderate confidence that Iran probably would use covert facilities—rather than its declared nuclear sites—for the production of highly enriched uranium for a weapon. A growing amount of intelligence indicates Iran was engaged in covert uranium conversion and uranium enrichment activity, but we judge that these efforts probably were halted in response to the fall 2003 halt, and that these efforts probably had not been restarted through at least mid-2007." (my emphasis added)

The takeaway is that if the Iranians choose to press ahead with a weapons program, the authors assess it will be difficult to ascertain this fact by observing their acknowledged facilities. Also, the IC doesn't know for sure whether they have or have not ceased these efforts - only "probably" sure. The bottom line is that intelligence is not magic, absolute certainty can be hard to come by, and that relatively simple questions (e.g., "Do the Iranians have a nuclear weapons program?") can be remarkably difficult to answer with any degree of confidence.

I just hope that the lessons of the Iraq WMD situation don't get taken too much to heart, and that the willingness of analysts to extrapolate to reach conclusions isn't hamstrung by impossibly high evidentiary standards. There's a fine line out there - and this is as serious a business as it gets.

(As a sidenote: Keep in mind while you read the document that every single word and sentence has been deliberately chosen. If something strikes you as vague or a bit odd in presentation, think through the process that might have led to the verbage coming out that way.)

vicariousrider

War Eagle!
+1 rep.

Good gouge, thanks for posting this. It helped me out to see through the media spin that's prolific throughout the internet and television. I only hope that more people are willing to take a look at the report - and find the truth for themselves.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Yeah, why even study that? Just pretend it didn't happen.

The bottom line is that intelligence is not magic, absolute certainty can be hard to come by, and that relatively simple questions (e.g., "Do the Iranians have a nuclear weapons program?") can be remarkably difficult to answer with any degree of confidence.

I just hope that the lessons of the Iraq WMD situation don't get taken too much to heart, and that the willingness of analysts to extrapolate to reach conclusions isn't hamstrung by impossibly high evidentiary standards. There's a fine line out there - and this is as serious a business as it gets.

There are plenty of lessons to be learned from the whole Iraq WMD debacle, but at the same time the hope is that it does not make guys too gun shy. What was the phrase? A "failure of imagination".

Read closely what Flyin had to say, he explains the Intel business pretty well. The analysts who work this problem do the best they can possibly do, and they often work with very little info, and you can't always get hard evidence or the ever elusive 'smoking gun'. Past failures should not impede good, solid intel work. I believe that was his main point.

FlyinSpy

Mongo only pawn, in game of life...
Contributor
Yeah, why even study that? Just pretend it didn't happen.
One of the things the intel community has always taken it in the chops over is the issue of "not being predictive". If you're analytically gun shy, you will always heavily (and sometimes over-) caveat things to the point where the reader/consumer says "This is worthless - do they have nukes or not?" or "Is there a SAM there or not?" or whatever.

The lessons of the WMD Commission (which also makes very interesting reading: http://www.wmd.gov/report/) can easily be over-interpreted, and that analysts can end up saying "If I don't have the head of John the Baptist in my hand, I'm going to say he probably is still alive...". It would be great if intel was a clean business, but it's not - it's why I wish there was more opportunity for the operational community to get chopped over to the Dark Side for a tour or two. Seeing the sausage-making up close can really change your perspective on these issues.

Bottom Line: The Tenet "slam dunk" comment and the subsequent mess it has caused has every single analyst in the community looking over their shoulder. That's not necessarily a bad thing - but when we start running into poles because we weren't focused on where we're going, then we've "taken the lessons of the WMD Commission too much to heart."

Reactions: JKD