• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Iran Detains 10 U.S. Navy Personnel

Recovering LSO

Suck Less
pilot
Contributor
And it took about three minutes for the cast of GOP hopefuls to chime in. Ask them and they'll tell you how concerned they are for the Sailors, ask them again and they'll make sure they get in a "thanks Obama" sound bite.*

Screen Shot 2016-01-12 at 5.11.49 PM.png
From CNN.

*this rant is NOT an endorsement of HRC or any other DNC personality.

LET73

And it took about three minutes for the cast of GOP hopefuls to chime in. Ask them and they'll tell you how concerned they are for the Sailors, ask them again and they'll make sure they get in a "thanks Obama" sound bite.*

View attachment 15468
From CNN.

*this rant is NOT an endorsement of HRC or any other DNC personality.
Rick Santorum hasn't dropped out yet? Huh.

Interesting timing by the Iranians, though.

LET73

No, timing of Iran detaining US Navy personnel just ahead of the State of the Union address, or two weeks ahead of the Iowa caucuses (i.e., round one of the presidential election), or just following a flashpoint in tensions between Iran and Saudi Arabia. I don't think this happened in a vacuum; I think the Iranians are making a political point.

Or maybe they aren't, and it's a question of some Iranians taking advantage of an opportunity without any higher level direction. That's also completely possible.

LET73

Maybe so. But I don't think they're totally incapable of that kind of messaging, even if their C2 does suck.

Recovering LSO

Suck Less
pilot
Contributor
I'd put good money on dumb luck that an American vessel ended up drifting into the Farsi waters... Now, deciding to keep them overnight... On the night of the SOTU address.... I think there's a difference between opportunistic and conniving.

jmcquate

Contributor
I'd put good money on dumb luck that an American vessel ended up drifting into the Farsi waters... Now, deciding to keep them overnight... On the night of the SOTU address.... I think there's a difference between opportunistic and conniving.
Yup.........Occam's Razor. Although I wouldn't be surprised if the crews have already been returned and it will be announced at the SOTU.

LET73

Politics all around. The detention could well have been the result of someone taking some initiative, but once something like that happens, there's going to be higher level involvement. Of course, we're all just speculating here.

Hair Warrior

Contributor
I hope our sailors are returned unharmed, uninterrogated, and soon.

This reminds me of the EP-3 incident over Hainan in April 2001.

Redux

Fear not, Bobo and Kerry has their 6. :rolleyes: At this very moment he's offering them another billion.