• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Ipad

TA910

"Spoon"
pilot
Ive been looking in different threads for the answer to no avail. Does anyone know if we can use iPads during flights for vt35 or vt31?

Tycho_Brohe

pilot
Contributor
I know one or two instructors in -35 who used them, including the Major with whom I flew my cross-country. I don't recall any SOP that forbade it, but I know you can't use it to replace the pubs and plates, because if the battery dies or something like that, you're SOL.

Tycho_Brohe

pilot
Contributor
I understand. So I can use it for the pubs, I would just bring along the hard copies as well for back up
Yes, but I would echo wlawr's warning, because I never heard of or saw any students using them. You could ask your flight leader for confirmation when you get there.
Also, if no one gave you the gouge yet, call the Corpus WDO and ask Angela at TW-4 to put you in VT-35. If you selected today, you should still have time to do so. She accepts brownies/donuts as tokens of gratitude.
Congrats on selecting maritime!

TA910

"Spoon"
pilot
Yes, but I would echo wlawr's warning, because I never heard of or saw any students using them. You could ask your flight leader for confirmation when you get there.
Also, if no one gave you the gouge yet, call the Corpus WDO and ask Angela at TW-4 to put you in VT-35. If you selected today, you should still have time to do so. She accepts brownies/donuts as tokens of gratitude.

Thank you Sir. Will call her today

TA910

"Spoon"
pilot
Thanks for the reply! I won't be disappointed if I can't use the iPad. Just glad to be moving on to the next chapter

roflsaurus

"Jet" Pilot
pilot
My flight partner used an Ipad for almost every instrument flight in advanced. The instructors always said that if he relied on it too heavily they would take it away. He just kept a plate open at all times and no one ever pulled the "simulate your battery just died" card. Honestly though, it will probably only help if you fly the C-12. The 44Cs FMS is pretty gucci. Using the IPad is a little redundant.

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
From the airline perspective... I am pretty happy to be using an ipad in lieu of carrying around pubs. I have gotten into the routine of doing the required updates prior to flight (downloads that sync with Jeppesen and our company publications), download all my weather products via our weather program and the brief, and then download the flight plan/NOTAMs etc. I don't think I have ever been below 50% of battery life even on long flights to south America. But we are required to carry around a hyperjuice battery in case that happens. If the ipad died in flight, then the other pilot (or pilots) have theirs, and we also have a paper copy of our inflight QRH to handle emergencies. A lot of redundancy there. I hope we still are on track for our tech refresh this year to a newer ipad, and that we also get chart capability with JEPPESEN.

Glad to see that the Navy is utilizing this resource more in flight school, and hopefully the fleet.

AUtiger

Crossing over to the dark side
pilot
Mini iPads are all around Lemoore. The Aero app from NGA is still not user friendly so I would always take my iPad and Foreflight on the road. Only paper pubs I'd ever take were high plates. The minis are pretty nice for pub reference with GP, AP1 and all the SOPs and inflight guides on them. Can't speak to what anyone else is rocking but I know all VFA squadrons should have them by now.

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
Magically a drawer full of ipads showed up at -106 last week. No one has touched them, spoken of them, or used them. I'm sure even sure how many people know they are there.

TA910

"Spoon"
pilot

I called today and she told me I'm in VT31 right now. There are no VT35 but there should be by the time I arrive (because of selection). So she said ask to see if there are 35 spots when I get there in September. Any down side to vT31 if nothing opens up?

roflsaurus

"Jet" Pilot
pilot
I called today and she told me I'm in VT31 right now. There are no VT35 but there should be by the time I arrive (because of selection). So she said ask to see if there are 35 spots when I get there in September. Any down side to vT31 if nothing opens up?

It seemed to me like the instructors in 35 were more laid back, but I'll defer to Tycho to confirm or deny that. I will say that, in my opinion, the FMS of the 44c sets you up a LITTLE BIT better for P-8 life if that's what you're looking to do. It doesn't really make much of a difference in the long run, you just have to study slightly less for some of your early sims.

TA910

"Spoon"
pilot
I see. P8s are what I ultimately wish to fly, so the T44 would only help. Only downside I'm hearing so far is that vt31 has longer waits between flights. Not sure if that is true or not

roflsaurus

"Jet" Pilot
pilot
I see. P8s are what I ultimately wish to fly, so the T44 would only help. Only downside I'm hearing so far is that vt31 has longer waits between flights. Not sure if that is true or not

You get your winging date when you show up and your whole class (31 & 35) wings together on the same date. It did seem like we got slow rolled through contacts and then crushed in instruments more so than 35 did, but it doesn't really make a difference in the end.