• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Intruder & Prowler - Mishaps [History]

cosmania

Gitty Up!
pilot
Do you drink a shot on the anniversary of that event? I mean, that's worth celebrating. It's like getting a second chance.

bert

Enjoying the real world
pilot
Contributor
As good as any advice I've seen on Air Warriors. Maybe the best ...

Behind "use the search function," of course....

Thanks to Steve for the kind words for the SAR guys.

SteveG75

Retired and starting that second career
None
No shots. Not an anniversary that I think of much till I got the PM.

Another little note on this mishap. We were in aircraft 161682. The other crew was is 164385, the last A-6 Intruder ever built.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Behind "use the search function," of course.......
You forgot the AW's smiley ... so I'll do it for you ... :) ....

Naaaaa .... AW's "search", when appropriate, is here today -- gone tomorrow kind of information ... it changes.

Steve's was "life" advice .... it never changes .... and there's the big difference.

47096017fl6.jpg
... A4s smiley.

bert

Enjoying the real world
pilot
Contributor
So true, and the smiley was in effect. My little one is 7 months old now and mobile. If that can't put the Navy and life in perspective then I'm past help.

bert

Enjoying the real world
pilot
Contributor
And since I was threadjacking anyways, I'll add in a little encouragement for guys "forced" into helos. While you can't beat old-school VERTREP for fun, stick-and-rudder flying, it seems to me that you can't do anything more satisfying than saving one of your brothers when they are having a bad day. If you look at OP's list, behind a lot of those survivors is a helo crew, and if it seems like they are a bit forgotten sometimes that's ok, they did what they had to do.

Intruder Driver

All Weather Attack
pilot
Dear Forum members,

I thought you may be interested in the latest update on my website with
information on the A-6 Intruder and Prowler.

Please visit

http://www.ejection-history.org.uk/Aircraft_by_Type/a6_prowler.htm

Regards

Mike Bennett
Project Get Out and Walk

Your 15 Feb 91 A6 ejection with J. Williams as pilot description is not accurate. 'Mac' Williams is my daughter's godfather and he did not crash into the carrier. He lost all brakes taxiing out of the wires and the plane veered to the left. They ejected before it went over the side. Mac broke his leg landing on the carrier deck.

Diane Gurley

As do I. Mike has a hobby and wants to pursue it. I can't begrudge him that.

Frankly to me it's kinda insulting that friends of mine that gave their lives in training mishaps or non-combat cruise mishaps are gone and forgotten. Go try and find the crew of a Prowler loss on any kind of official website and good luck. Great Americans like Dave Roberts, Chuck Gurley, Kevin Leslie or Jeff Mines (A-6) lost their lives in the service of their country and if it takes someone like Mike to remind folks there were live butts attached to those seats so be it.

Yes, I wish his site was a little more organized and neatened up and there's some errors there in nomenclature but don't try to compare my hobby projects to a pro's either.

Just my 2 cents.
I found this blog while doing a search on Chuck, Kevin and Peter (and the EA-6B accident that happend 11-3-1992). Thank you for your kind words on these men. It is such a pleasure to read this even so many years after the accident. I will share this with my family....Sincerely, Diane Gurley-Martin (sister of Chuck Gurley)

sbeaTm08

Wake up, put a good dip in, crack a cold one
pilot
I found this site one day on a Google search and think its pretty cool. As the son of a Prowler guy I spent a lot of time around the squadron spaces and knew some of these guys as a kid. My Dad was ECMO 1 in the plane that was Dash 2 on the 21 November 2001 Q-1 crash out in the Atlantic. I saw the plane after the salvage boat brought it in, weirdly enough you could still tell, sort of, it was Prowler. Even though it has inaccuracies and is kind of hard to maneuver around, still think it's a cool site.

jollygreen07

Professional (?) Flight Instructor
pilot
Contributor
I found this site one day on a Google search and think its pretty cool. As the son of a Prowler guy I spent a lot of time around the squadron spaces and knew some of these guys as a kid. My Dad was ECMO 1 in the plane that was Dash 2 on the 21 November 2001 Q-1 crash out in the Atlantic. I saw the plane after the salvage boat brought it in, weirdly enough you could still tell, sort of, it was Prowler. Even though it has inaccuracies and is kind of hard to maneuver around, still think it's a cool site.

Did you get to see it up close? I can remember seeing it being driven through town one morning on the school bus.

Diane Gurley

I could not agree more sbeaTMO8.....It is a great site. Especially since there is hardly no information available regarding these mishaps. The little info that is available on my brothers accident seems pretty accurate, but it is obvious that some correction had been made. I am still pleased that there is now something out there on it. It really does mean something to the families to have it acknowledged in some kind of way. I also remember reading about the incident that your father was in. I am glad that he and his crew made it out ! Take care !

sbeaTm08

Wake up, put a good dip in, crack a cold one
pilot
Did you get to see it up close? I can remember seeing it being driven through town one morning on the school bus.
Yea man, it was wild. They let us have look at it on the boat. They said that when they found it on the bottom in was in pretty "good" shape but when they pulled it up it started to bend and twist. It sat in Q-1's hangar for a bit while they did the investigation, but they kept it kind of hidden.

SteveG75

Retired and starting that second career
None
I knew the pilot, Mark "Willie" Nelson, in the Q-1 mishap. We were instructors together back at VAQ-129.

About 8 months before this mishap, "Willie" almost had to the use the yellow and black handle on a another hop. He was flying a DEFTAC hop during a RAG det down in El Centro. While doing a hard reversal on the low level, he decided (for some unknown reason) to climb to 1000' feet (vice the normal 500') before during the manuever. At 90 degrees angle of bank, when he commanded the reversal, the one of the flaperon (which is the roll control in the Prowler) actuator packs exploded, causing the jet to lose all flaperon control as well as combined hydraulics. He ended up using rudder to roll the jet upright, losing about 500+' feet in the process. As I remember it, he was losing flight hydraulics as well and could not wait to get jet down in weight to slow to 150KIAS for the emergency flaps/slats. So, he ended up flying a no flap/no slat approach at about 170KIAS to an arrested landing at MCAS Yuma.

When I heard about the Q-1 mishap, I kept thinking that someone really wanted "Willie" to be in the Martin Baker Tie Club.

Yardstick

Is The Bottle Ready?!
pilot
I had the honor of receiving a sword in honor of LTjg DeBartolomeo at my ROTC unit's spring review as well as meeting his family. Seemed like a great guy