• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Introduction

sundown88

Navy Connoisseur
Good afternoon to all the current and potential individuals in the aviation community. I am new to this forum and just wanted to introduce myself very quickly.

I am prior enlisted in the U.S. Navy (Petty Officer Third Class, 2008-2012), and I will be taking the ASTB for the first time 01/23/14 as part of NRD New York.

I hold a bachelor's in political science and am planning on submitting an officer package for the officer designators 1390 (SNA) and 1370 (SNFO) sometime in the Feb/Mar time-frame of early next year.

I'll be taking the brand new ASTB and and I am shooting for a minimum of a 62 on the completed exam. There is a wealth of information on this forum, and I hope to gain a lot of knowledge from all of you along the way.

Have a Fine Navy Day.

V/r,

Sundown88

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Yes, welcome to AirWarriors.com!

There is a lot of ASTB gouge that should be helpful with the basics of the NEW ASTB. As far as the NEW test, no-one here has reported taking it yet, but there have been a few that took it while it was still in development, so some of that gouge should help your focus during studying.

My personal recommendation is to read multiple threads in the ASTB section and review all the ASTB gouge available. Once you think you have a firm grasp on the material, take multiple practice test while timing yourself. As for the flying portion of the ASTB, practicing on a flight simulator wouldn't hurt.

sundown88

Navy Connoisseur
Yes, welcome to AirWarriors.com!

There is a lot of ASTB gouge that should be helpful with the basics of the NEW ASTB. As far as the NEW test, no-one here has reported taking it yet, but there have been a few that took it while it was still in development, so some of that gouge should help your focus during studying.

My personal recommendation is to read multiple threads in the ASTB section and review all the ASTB gouge available. Once you think you have a firm grasp on the material, take multiple practice test while timing yourself. As for the flying portion of the ASTB, practicing on a flight simulator wouldn't hurt.

And that's the thing ea6bflyr, I spoke to my recruiter and she said the same thing... I won't know until I take the ASTB-E (new ASTB), so I'm trying to digest everything I can. I don't have a background in aviation and I never took physics in high school (wasn't offered), so I'm starting back at square one, with basic math and mechanical comprehension.

I have six weeks to prepare for the test so I've gone to extreme measures and cut off all idle distractions (going out drinking, surfing the web, social media), just so I can receive the highest score I can possibly get.

V/r

Sundown88

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
And that's the thing ea6bflyr, I spoke to my recruiter and she said the same thing... I won't know until I take the ASTB-E (new ASTB), so I'm trying to digest everything I can. I don't have a background in aviation and I never took physics in high school (wasn't offered), so I'm starting back at square one, with basic math and mechanical comprehension.

I have six weeks to prepare for the test so I've gone to extreme measures and cut off all idle distractions (going out drinking, surfing the web, social media), just so I can receive the highest score I can possibly get.

V/r

Sundown88
The physics on the test is very basic, so don't sweat it too much. The math is basic algebra, so learn the basics and move on. If you are struggling with both of those areas, you may want to seek out a tutor to help with basic understanding.

Keep your chin up, keep studying, and good luck.