• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Introduction (The post is long and all about myself. Read at your own discretion)

Dmitriy

Hello everyone!

I'm new here so I figure I'd take the time to introduce myself. I'm Dmitriy and I was born in Russia. I've been living in the States for over half of my life and a year and a half ago I finally got my American citizenship, which to me meant that being an officer in the Armed Forces could be something more than a pipe dream. This past May I graduated from Carnegie Mellon in Pittsburgh.
My freshman year I briefly entertained the idea of joining the NROTC program at CMU - we didn't have Army or AF, so Navy won by default. I talked to the Btn. Commander about my peculiar situation - how I wouldn't be able to receive any money for it or a commission at the end. In the end I decided against it, dismissing the idea as youthful and naive infatuation with the uniform and, perhaps, residual effect of the stress associated with adjusting to college.
Instead of joining the ROTC program I joined CMU's rowing team. I have to say I fell in love with the sport. Over the years I went on to become the varsity captain. I never regretted abandoning the idea of doing NROTC. I have to confess I quietly smiled to myself knowing that the crew trained EVERY day at 0500 while the mids thought themselves tough sh!t for running PT at 0530 Monday-Wednesday-Friday.
Over the summers I'd be working full-time internships in architecture firms. The daily grind that was the topic of "discussion" among my co-workers in the break room felt like a vacation compared to what I'd go back to in late August. I completed two degrees (one in Architecture and another in International Relations), both of them with honors, in the time it took most of my classmates to finish one. I also worked 2 jobs. And I trained. Six days a week. 0500. I think for the past five years I averaged no more than 5 hours of sleep per night.
It was around this time a year ago that the question of what to do with my life after college came up. I had realized that I did not enjoy any of the internships I had, that I really did not want to work in the industry for which I was preparing. It was then that one of my thesis advisers suggested that I look into the intel communities. She had a lot of contacts in all branches, including the Firm, but especially with Navy intel. She put me in touch with an IDC officer by the name of Cdr.James Adkisson (I know, no names, but I want to give credit where credit is due). We had a long and interesting talk around December of 2012 and his parting words were "I hope to see you in the IDC soon, or in uniform, at least." I think that conversation really turned me back onto the path of seeking a commission.
I still had my thesis project to wrap up so I didn't have the time to really concentrate on preparing a package. I did have time to evaluate myself and what I wanted a little more. I ended up putting Civil Engineer Corps as my first designator, followed by IDC, and aviation. I submitted my package for August 6th board, and now await results.
Time goes on and student loans and bills, as they say here in the City of Champions, "need paid." I took on a job as an architectural consultant, got an apartment, bought a car. I started coaching the team I used to row for as well. I'm getting comfortable with my situation, I feel my resolve to become a Navy officer begin to slip a bit. Don't get me wrong, it is still the thing I want the most, and the thing I honestly believe I would be best applied at. Until two nights ago I would say "I dream of being a Navy officer" figuratively. Now I can say I've LITERALLY dreamed of being a Navy officer. That being said, I feel like back in May, if I got a call from the recruiter saying "OCS wants you there on Monday" without hesitation I would say "I'm there!" Now I feel like I'd have to think about it.
The reason I joined AW is to communicate with like-minded people, some who are going through what I'm going through, others who have already done it, and most importantly to keep my fire burning! (If you made it this far, thanks for reading)

Jerry Curl

Not much to add here, but wanted to congratulate you on gaining Citizenship. I think you have come to the right place for the information you seek regarding community specifics. You are only 23, according to your profile, so you have a little time to "think about it" per se.

Something to consider, when it is all said and done would you regret not stepping up and challenging yourself by following your dreams? Speaking from a service standpoint, I highly doubt you would regret the potential 4-8 years of service. Architectural consulting will always be there, however serving let alone as an Officer will not be.

jg54170

OCS JAN12th
You need to dig deep and decide what it is you want to do now as opposed to when you get the call. If you are not positive that the Navy is where you want to be you will have no desire to push when things get tough at OCS . I could go into selling the Navy to you but I dislike that aspect of recruiting. Clearly you know the benefits and a bit about the Navy or you would have not applied.

What changed two days ago that made you question becoming an officer?

Renegade One

None
Well, welcome aboard. Interesting past, and "good on you" for what you seem to have made of it.

I'm no "Officer Recruiter", and make no pretension to knowing about how you should/could best move forward. Others will wade in here as best they can…and offer better advice. My own is simply this: "Don't give up."

That said, you seem to have great credentials…academic, athletic, work experience, leadership (rowing coach) and at least a couple of "head-nods" from seemingly pretty good folks who know what the Intel Community is looking for. That's two compliments to you. If nothing else, strive to make their confidence in you prove well placed.

Two more things:
1. You push a noun against a verb (e.g., English writing skills…) better than most "newbies" I've seen on this forum. That counts for much in this business.
2. Your thing about "the daily grind" that you currently experience in the civilian internship/job market will NOT go away. There is much, much by way of "grinding" in the Naval service. It's not all "SEAL Team SIX", or "TOPGUN", or "The Hunt For RED OCTOBER". BUT…the food is pretty damned good (a long-recognized advantage of the Navy), the surroundings are invigorating, the underway life is exciting, and the peers/shipmates/Sailors and Marines you will find yourself working with are second to none. Some will be your best friends for life. Every day you wear the cloth of your nation in the service of your current country will be a "day well spent". You just need to trust me…at this point.

Again: Welcome…"bon chasse"…hang in there!

V/R, R1

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
Welcome aboard.
I served with several former Russians and Ukrainians, all good Officers.
Self doubt is normal, just keep evaluating what drives you and listen to that.
Pickle