• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Interview with Col David Hunt, USA (ret)

Status
Not open for further replies.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
DISCLAIMER: I don't like "long" posts/cut & pastes on forums ... takes too much time to read them and they usually include NO original thought. Maybe this one is worthwhile --- we shall see. The link is provided below for your assistance. I am sure many of you are familiar with Col. David Hunt, USA (ret), one of the military "heads" on Fox News. Personally, I think Col Hunt and his counterpart, LCol Bill Cowan, USMC (ret) are two of the best at military analysis -- as the public can understand it. They are "well connected" and are no B.S.

Anywayyyyyyyy ... Col Hunt has come out with a new book that encompasses many of the current issues re: the War on Terror, or at least what passes for a "war" these days in our society. I thought about putting this on "War Zone", but it seems many "zone" topics trend toward the juvenile and this certainly does not fall into that category. As far as "current news " -- this discusses "current issues" as much as ... as .... say @$28/bbl oil or Jane Fonda discussions ... yes?? If not, the Mod-Squad can move it ... enjoy and learn from an expert in the field, COL Hunt.

ColHuntsBookCover_small.jpg
0822iraq10.jpg

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

page_2002_interrogatory.gif
[font=Times New Roman, Times, serif]June 25, 2003, 9:35 a.m.[/font]
[font=Times New Roman, Times, serif]On the Hunt[/font]
[font=Times New Roman, Times, serif]An interview with Col. David Hunt.[/font]
[font=Times New Roman, Times, serif]A Q&A by Sarah Maserati[/font]

Col. David Hunt (Ret.) is a familiar face. After a long and gifted career in the Army, he has led a varied life, being an armchair general for Fox News Channel, the tactical adviser to the commander in chief of Bosnia, and a counter-terrorism coordinator for the Summer Olympic Games in South Korea — among many other things. Col. Hunt recently talked to NRO, opining on everything from homeland security to the humanities, women in combat to weapons of mass destruction.

[font=Times New Roman, Times, serif]NRO: Tell us about yourself. Where were you born?[/font]

[font=Times New Roman, Times, serif]DAVID HUNT:[/font][font=Times New Roman, Times, serif] I was born in Boston, Mass. My father was WWII hero. He spent four years in the Pacific.[/font]

[font=Times New Roman, Times, serif]NRO: Were you always interested in things military?[/font]

[font=Times New Roman, Times, serif]HUNT: Hell no. I went to Norwich University in Vermont, a private military college — the oldest private military college in the country, thank you very much! — on a hockey scholarship and studied English. My brother was killed in Vietnam. It became clear to me that I had to join up. I was in the Army special forces, serving with the Airborne Rangers. I've spent 29 years plus in the military.[/font]

[font=Times New Roman, Times, serif]NRO: You have a B.A. and an M.A. in English. What area of English did you study? Was it good preparation for the military?[/font]

[font=Times New Roman, Times, serif]HUNT: I studied the Elizabethans, particularly Shakespeare, and I minored in philosophy. I got my Masters while teaching ROTC, and studied at the Kennedy School at Harvard during my service in the Army. A liberal-arts education dovetails with anything. I would do it again.[/font]

[font=Times New Roman, Times, serif]NRO: Did any of the men you served with make fun of you for your book learning?[/font]

For the rest of the interview, link to: http://www.nationalreview.com/interrogatory/interrogatory062503.asp

You may also want to read:

The Sling and the Stone” is a “very interesting book” that is “worth the read,” though perhaps more appropriate for senior leaders than junior officers, says Jan Horvath of the Army’s Combined Arms Doctrine Directorate at Ft. Leavenworth, KS. Horvath coordinated his service’s new counterinsurgency manual (ITP, Aug. 26, p1). Retired Marine Corps Lt. Col. Frank Hoffman, who visited Iraq earlier this year, calls the 336-page publication “extremely relevant” to the Iraq situation. He is joined in the recommendation by retired Marine Corps Lt. Gen. Paul Van Riper, a veteran of the Vietnam and 1991 Iraq wars who also served in Egypt, Israel and Lebanon in the late 1970s.

A close second for most-recommended book is ALWAYS the one that was originally written for private distribution in 1926. T.E. Lawrence’s 700-page tome, “Seven Pillars of Wisdom: A Triumph,” and it remains appropriate today for Iraq-bound forces. The book, available in a 1991 reissue paperback edition, is Lawrence of Arabia’s first-hand account of his efforts to unify Arab factions against the occupying Turkish army in the early 20th century.

Lawrence’s 1919 “Revolt in the Desert” (available in 1993 reprint) and Michael Asher’s 1999 book, “Lawrence: The Uncrowned King of Arabia” are also very good.

The Marine Corps’ own “Small Wars Manual 1940” --- still very relevant. The 1940 Marine Corps manual appears on McMaster’s 3rd Armored Cavalry Regiment’s recommended reading list, as does a 1906 book with a similar title: “Small Wars: Their Principles and Practice,” by C.E. Callwell, a British colonel. The latter title is available in a 1996 paperback edition.

MA'ASALAAMA ....

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I have been impressed with his analysis. And hey He's a Norwich grad, got to be a good guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.