• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Interservice transfer

Oh-58Ddriver

Scouts Out!
None
Contributor
Has anyone out there done an interservice transfer from the Army? I am currently a helo pilot in the Army. I love flying helos on this side, but unfortunately I am an O-3 and thats when the Army likes to take you out of the cockpit and put you behind a desk. I have heard Navy flies their guys longer, since there are no warrant officers to do it. Anyone out there know what crossing over is like and how tough/easy it is? Know any POCs? Also, the likelihood a helo pilot could get a stuck-wing job in the Navy?

Thanks!

gunfighter77

pilot
http://aptap.forumco.com/

This is a website that was initially made for Army pilots transitioning to Airline pilots but it has great info on all flying jobs. The Coast Guard included, you can also search Airwarriors for good Coastie info.

I have not done an inter-service transfer but I am looking at transfering to the Coast Guard. You lose one grade if you are an O-3 but the Quality of Life and hours of flying will probably make up for the pay reduction. I think you would be making a huge mistake by changing over to a Warrant Officer or joining the Navy.

Aaron

AH-1W

gunfighter77

pilot
How much longer do you have to give the Army? You should try to stick it out until your commitment is up and then check out the Coast Guard. The Navy has some of the same issues; placing more importance on your ground job than flying. If I were to transition to another service it would have to be the Air Force or Coast Guard for quality of life. When are you heading over here?

Or why not just become a warrant? I know some people that were RLOs back home that just made the switch and now their flying their entire careers. just a thought.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
gunfighter77 said:
The Navy has some of the same issues; placing more importance on your ground job than flying.
On what basis do you make this claim? Your statement is inaccurate and misleading.

Brett

gunfighter77

pilot
No intent to mislead, I was trying to say you're not just going to be a squadron pilot and you might find yourself behind a desk after a red ass of a transfer.

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
gunfighter77 said:
The Navy has some of the same issues; placing more importance on your ground job than flying.

Brett327 said:
On what basis do you make this claim? Your statement is inaccurate and misleading.

Easy there partner, as he quoted, he isn't making any inaccurate or misleading statements, he was basing it off his experiences. I personally would agree with the sentiment in his post, as I find some (at times) parallels to life in the VP world. I know I can't speak for TACAIR, but that also certainly means you can't speak for the rest of Naval Aviation or his experiences.

Cheers,

John

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
webmaster said:
Easy there partner, as he quoted, he isn't making any inaccurate or misleading statements, he was basing it off his experiences. I personally would agree with the sentiment in his post, as I find some (at times) parallels to life in the VP world. I know I can't speak for TACAIR, but that also certainly means you can't speak for the rest of Naval Aviation or his experiences.

Cheers,

John
Sure, I agree w/ both of you as he amended his claim, but to make a direct comparison to what the original poster was experiencing in the Army seemed a bit off the mark. I'm sure you'll agree that for the vast majority of people, making O-3 in the Navy, regardless of your community, certainly doesn't signal the end of your flying days. As such, the implication to the contrary was unfairly clouding the issue for someone exploring his options to stay in the cockpit.

Brett