• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Interservice Transfer (IST)

str1ck

For anyone interested in the IST process to the Navy Reserve or anyone that needs an Excellent Recruiter recommendation please post your questions here. It has taken pretty much a year and a half for me to get through the IST process from the ANG to the USNR. Most of that time is due to a worthless recruiter who didn't know what he was doing. Lucky for me IDC Mid Atlantic had a good recommendation for a replacement recruiter.

Sam I am

Average looking, not a farmer.
pilot
Contributor
Sorry you went through that pain. I had a buddy leave the Marines to go Navy and it was relatively painless...but both are Department of the Navy. ANG is a pretty different animal...glad you made it through to the promise land.

str1ck

Update: Got my Oath of Office today. Had a neighbor witness it and sent it back to my Officer Recruiter. (Yes my neighbor is at USMC 0-5 so its legit)

trek49

Sorry for reviving an older thread, but I was looking to get some info on the same topic. I'm an active duty AF pilot, and I was wondering if it's possible to switch over to the Navy Reserves (more specifically, one of the P-3 squadrons in Hawaii) at the end of my commitment. I know with the AF reserve and ANG, you usually talk to the units directly to get recruited -- is it the same for Navy Reserves? Do those guys even bother considering AF pilots?

I'm just exploring options at this point, so any insight would be appreciated. Thanks!

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Unless something has very recently changed, there are no Reserve P-3 squadrons in HI. Just Whidbey and Jax. That said, yes, you start talking to the host unit first to start networking. You'd then apply to one of their pilot selection boards which will require you to prove that you would be released and able to join the unit. Historically, getting someone from another service over the Reserve Navy active duty side has been very painful and takes much longer than it should. However, if you're already getting out and you're just applying to SELRES, the process may be a bit easier.

All that said, some things to consider: The gaining command is going to want to get value out of you with the least amount of investment. If you have no ASW experience, that means much more time to train (which equals $ for orders) both at the RAG and in the squadron. If there are other applicants, and all other things being equal, they may lean towards taking the prior VP guy before you.

I'd look at VR, as well, for you. That's another option and has locations at all the Navy fleet concentration areas.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
What Gator said. Generally they'll prefer the guy who requires the least time to start producing for the unit. In the Reserves, time is quite literally money. In VR, warfare background doesn't really matter and I've seen them take dudes who came from all over, including Guard RW. For other hardware RESRONS, they look more at your warfare quals. There's a former AWACS ABM in my E-2 reserve unit, but he was a special case - last tour was as the token AF guy at the weapons school in Fallon, he went native in a big way, had a background which was directly transferrable to a new platform and was known to the community. Other big factors are how much time you can contribute to the unit, since hardware units don't get much use from weekend-a-month types, and your reputation (will this guy be an asshole in the ready room and make us look bad when he goes on the road?)

herkdawg

Thread bump...

I'm in the process transferring to a VR squadron from the AF Reserve (separated from active duty AF last year). I just signed my Oath of Office. I was wondering how long it should take until I get assigned to my home unit's NOSC and start in-processing. I'm anxious to start flying again. Thanks.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Thread bump...

I'm in the process transferring to a VR squadron from the AF Reserve (separated from active duty AF last year). I just signed my Oath of Office. I was wondering how long it should take until I get assigned to my home unit's NOSC and start in-processing. I'm anxious to start flying again. Thanks.

How fast can you do the paperwork?

Don't let the NOSC set the schedule...you'll be waiting a long time. Contact them, tell them what's up, and get the ball rolling on your own. You should do an initial drill weekend at the NOSC where they'll do a "welcome to the Navy Reserve" set of briefs, then you'll get handed off to the squadron and they'll handle the rest of your admin.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
How fast can you do the paperwork?

Don't let the NOSC set the schedule...you'll be waiting a long time. Contact them, tell them what's up, and get the ball rolling on your own. You should do an initial drill weekend at the NOSC where they'll do a "welcome to the Navy Reserve" set of briefs, then you'll get handed off to the squadron and they'll handle the rest of your admin.

An issue can be actually getting "into" the Navy. I'm not sure if the issue has been fixed (but I have my suspicions), but about 2 or so years ago, I know -85 was having a really hard time getting their Army guys into the Navy system, mostly due to PERS inertia. The order of magnitude was months, not weeks and it wasn't handled at the NOSC level. If it starts to drag on, the squadron may need to really push the issue.

Even moving from one unit to another has been taking an inordinate amount of time (going on 5 months now) thanks to CNRFC, though that's a much easier issue to work around.

60dude

It took a month once my Oath of Office was signed and returned.

How long was your packet was at PERS confirmed accepted to receive the Oath of Office? Just asking for your personal experience, I can see a trend through tons of threads. That's the level I am currently at. The story of our lives "Waiting on PERS"