• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Interservice Transfer Denied

JTS11

pilot
Contributor
I’d have to dig into the US code but I’m about 95% sure if that happens, they also retire at their highest enlisted pay held, not officer pay.
I thought your retirement pay was based on your high-3 base pay years regardless of weird E to O to reserve situations, but I could be wrong.

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
I thought your retirement pay was based on your high-3 base pay years regardless of weird E to O to reserve situations, but I could be wrong.
10 USC 8323, 1370, 8372, 8333 are the ones I can find.

The gist, you have to serve 10 years commissioned and 20 years total otherwise you don’t satisfactorily serve in a commissioned role and revert to prior status.

One thing I will say for the Air Force, they write out a lot of instructions and this is well covered. I can’t find similar OPNAVINSTs.

The way I do read the 1811.3 is that one of three things would happen. The Navy would deny the retirement request, the member would have to separate (not retire), or retire as enlisted. Unfortunately the Navy instructions are vague.

DRW

This is from the MyNavyHR site.

Q3. How many years of commissioned service must I have in order to retire as an officer?

Reserve officers earning non-regular (Reserve) retirements have no minimum commissioned service time requirement. They may retire in their current grade as long as they've met the minimum time-in-grade requirements. Title 10 US Code, Section 6323, which requires a minimum of 10 years of commissioned time, is only applicable to members earning active duty retirements.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
This is from the MyNavyHR site.

Q3. How many years of commissioned service must I have in order to retire as an officer?

Reserve officers earning non-regular (Reserve) retirements have no minimum commissioned service time requirement. They may retire in their current grade as long as they've met the minimum time-in-grade requirements. Title 10 US Code, Section 6323, which requires a minimum of 10 years of commissioned time, is only applicable to members earning active duty retirements.

I thought it was eight but perhaps that's only for LDOs.