• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Interservice Transfer Denied

DRW

Hello all,

PERS recently denied my request to transfer from NR to AFR due to my community’s severe undermanning at my current rank (LT). I was in the Air Guard for 15 years and the NR for 6. Aside from some benefits to my personal life, the main part of my wanting to switch is that I had a much more positive experience in the Air Force than the Navy and I’d like to serve as long as I’m able. It’s getting more difficult to find the motivation to stay in and I’m considering submitting for retirement or possibly transfer to the VTU. Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
Hello all,

PERS recently denied my request to transfer from NR to AFR due to my community’s severe undermanning at my current rank (LT). I was in the Air Guard for 15 years and the NR for 6. Aside from some benefits to my personal life, the main part of my wanting to switch is that I had a much more positive experience in the Air Force than the Navy and I’d like to serve as long as I’m able. It’s getting more difficult to find the motivation to stay in and I’m considering submitting for retirement or possibly transfer to the VTU. Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks
Make a clean break from the USNR, then get back into the ANG. Don't do anything that would cause you an obligation to the USNR or USN IRR.

This was a thing a lot of us going from the USMC to the ANG had to do (including myself).

Get a NATOPS check and a flight physical on your way out the door so you're medically fit and ready. That makes the joining process easier.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Make a clean break from the USNR, then get back into the ANG. Don't do anything that would cause you an obligation to the USNR or USN IRR.

This was a thing a lot of us going from the USMC to the ANG had to do (including myself).

Get a NATOPS check and a flight physical on your way out the door so you're medically fit and ready. That makes the joining process easier.

Judging by the post history OP is an IWC type, not aviator.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Hello all,

Thanks

You can contact the OCM to get more justification as to the why or if there's a means in which they can entertain a conditional release. However, being that you're an IWC type, I can imagine that will be difficult.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
Judging by the post history OP is an IWC type, not aviator.
That's fine. Replace NATOPS check with whatever IWC does to maintain currency and get a PHA done on the way out the door.

If an IST was denied, a conditional release is unlikely. Just make a clean break, then swear in to the new unit as soon as they can. A break in service is not the end of the world- especially if they're medically current.

DRW

Hey all thanks for the replies. Yes I’m an IW officer. I was previously a flyer when I was enlisted in the Guard. When I spoke to the NRC admin about possibly resigning my commission, they said that I could lose my ability to retire if I end up not being selected by the AF. They said that you have to be in some type of status in order to retire. That said, the NRC isn’t known for giving anccurate info.

exNavyOffRec

Hey all thanks for the replies. Yes I’m an IW officer. I was previously a flyer when I was enlisted in the Guard. When I spoke to the NRC admin about possibly resigning my commission, they said that I could lose my ability to retire if I end up not being selected by the AF. They said that you have to be in some type of status in order to retire. That said, the NRC isn’t known for giving anccurate info.
I would verify everything, but if does make sense if you resign, then are not picked up by the AF you have no place to retire from.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Don't you need 8 YCS in order to retire?

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
Don't you need 8 YCS in order to retire?
He's got 21 years of total service. You only incur your 8 year initial commitment once. You don't owe anything just because you cross commission. I only owed the ANG 1 year of part time status after the sent me to learn to fly the MQ-9. Prior to me going to IQT I could have left at any time and I wouldn't have been kicked out until I had 3 unsat years.

Don't leave the USNR without having a slot at an AFR or ANG unit. I didn't realize that you didn't have one already. Focus on that first.

FormerRecruitingGuru

He's got 21 years of total service. You only incur your 8 year initial commitment once. You don't owe anything just because you cross commission. I only owed the ANG 1 year of part time status after the sent me to learn to fly the MQ-9. Prior to me going to IQT I could have left at any time and I wouldn't have been kicked out until I had 3 unsat years.

Don't leave the USNR without having a slot at an AFR or ANG unit. I didn't realize that you didn't have one already. Focus on that first.

I'm tracking 21 years but unelss OP was a previous IST, he needs to serve a certain amount of years as a commissioned officer in order to retire. Am I missing something?

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
I'm tracking 21 years but unelss OP was a previous IST, he needs to serve a certain amount of years as a commissioned officer in order to retire. Am I missing something?

You have to serve 10 years as an officer to retire as an officer. But one can still retire at 20 years total service, their ID card will just say E-whatever instead of O-whatever. That doesn't have to be all in one specific service.

We have a few folks in the ANG who retire ASAP. We've learned that no one really cares what your rank is on your retired ID card except yourself.

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
You have to serve 10 years as an officer to retire as an officer. But one can still retire at 20 years total service, their ID card will just say E-whatever instead of O-whatever. That doesn't have to be all in one specific service.
I’d have to dig into the US code but I’m about 95% sure if that happens, they also retire at their highest enlisted pay held, not officer pay.