• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Interservice Transfer: AF to Navy - need feedback

snake020

Contributor
BACKGROUND: Before I got involved with Air Force ROTC I was planning on going to Navy OCS after college graduation, but my university offered AFROTC and I tried it out. Had a pilot slot while in ROTC, but got it yanked at medical flight screening at Brooks AFB because of mild color vision problems (got 7/14 right on PIP, can pass the FALANT fine, but USAF doesn't accept it.) Got redesignated into a support job where I am a pusher of papers instead of leader of men. With the yearly RIF for USAF officers has come voluntary separation programs in which the active duty service commitment is easily waived.

I have been talking to the Asst OCM for Aviation at Millington about the package and he's been pretty helpful. I have the instruction and the basic contents of the interservice transfer package which I am putting through at the beginning of FY07 when they will have slots come down again. Anyone do one of these packages before or know someone that has? Any recommendations on what else to put in? I am going to include a resume, letter written by me, and 3 letters of recommendation from my NJROTC instructor (retired CDR - figured it was important to get one Navy guy to sign off) to include ROTC performance, an AF 1-star, and probably an O-6 at my base.

Bottom line is I want to get in. Comments, suggestions?

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Make sure your present command (CO) is onboard. The Navy will want to know what your present CO (Commander?) thinks about you. Be sure he says good things. An AF 1-star is great, but the good folks in the Navy know how this game is played and realize the chances of this 1-star knowing you real well is pretty slim.

snake020

Contributor
My boss is on board. He figures it's best to get a letter from someone up the chain rather than him since we just closed out my first performance report (FITREP) and the comments in there speak for themselves. As for the 1-star, he knows me personally - he's actually the guy in the chain from my ROTC days that stopped my exception to policy waiver because he didn't want to buck the medical guys.