• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

International Burn a Qu'ran Day

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
There's a lot of "things" being put out there for public consumption from both sides to try to manage this situation. Let's judge them on their actions, not their rhetoric.

Recovering LSO

Suck Less
pilot
Contributor
There's a lot of "things" being put out there for public consumption from both sides to try to manage this situation. Let's judge them on their actions, not their rhetoric.

sure.

I get shit on here for expressing an opinion and asked to provide some basis for such "speculation".

Because Obama, that's why! (straw man, I know, I know...)

I did, twice now, with internationally reputable sources. The article from the NYT cites both American and Afghan sources and is pretty clear - even Squorch probably recognizes the BBC and NYT...

My point was, and remains, this... [all] makes me nervous for those involved.

Of course the US is not going to turn these individuals over to NATO or the Afghan "government" - but I'm unsure of what faces them back stateside within UCMJ.

sodajones

Combat Engineer
Yes Sir, that's why I quoted my post from Feb 25. Very, very sad situation. It was only a matter of time until a nut job decided to use the situation as an excuse to go on a rampage. (yes, I'm making that assumption about the motives of the SSgt).

PropStop

Kool-Aid free since 2001.
pilot
Contributor
This is a true tragedy in every sense of the word. We do not do this. We kill the people who do these kinds of things.

In the muslim opinion, however, 1 aberrant US soldier kills 16 civilians = the US and every one of us are terrible people bent on raping, pillaging and plundering their nation. Taliban thugs throw acid in the faces of little girls going to school, set of suicide vests in a hospital, or whatever = a small group of aberrant muslims.

Fuck this double standard shit, time to leave these savages to figure it out for themselves. And as for the American who did this, if found guilty (or he confesses at the news seems to indicate he has), death penalty - we do not do this!

Guess that's not very PC of me...

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
He just got a lot more than 16 of his comrades killed over the next few months.

PropStop

Kool-Aid free since 2001.
pilot
Contributor
Hey, if we don't execute the MAJ who shot up Ft Hood, why should this guy get the firing squad?
Precisely because that asshole SHOULD have gotten the firing squad. We fucked up on that one, let's not fuck this one away.

New Rule: You execute civilians = you get executed. You ambush and kill your own people = you get executed. You aid the enemy = you get executed.

oh wait, that's not a new rule...

MasterBates

Yeah, but we seem to have a lot of selective enforcement of it.

Who does more harm to us?

(former) MAJ Hassan, who did it premeditated
Wikileaks Asshat
(Insert Spy/Double Agent we did not execute here)
Whoever did this most recent act, who very well may have fucking snapped.

If he snapped, it may not be premeditated like the other three. It doesn't excuse his actions, but I direct more hate towards those who do premeditated shit, vice those who just snapped.

Recovering LSO

Suck Less
pilot
Contributor
ugh. when will news organizations figure out that the comments section of their websites is just bad for their look?

Fog

Old RIOs never die: They just can't fast-erect
None
Contributor
Nation-building in Afghanistan was a bad idea from the get-go. We & GWB were correct to wipe-out the Taliban government in 2002, but we screwed the pooch in staying and then trying to create a stable, nationally-supported government. "Afghanistan" is just a name for a region of the world where warring tribes have murdered each other & foreign adventurers for thousands of years. It is a bitter shame that we have wasted so many american lives & dollars in pursuit of an unachievable goal. JMHO.

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor
Fog,
Not saying your thoughts are wrong, but the Geneva Convention says if you remove a gov't, then you are responsbile for the population until a new gov't is installed.
I'll concede we made lots of errors, but in removing the Taliban, the gov't of Afghanistan, then as GEN Collin Powell eloquently stated; "you break it, you bought it".
So we had to do some nation building in order to install a new gov't.
But I totally agree that trying to make Afghanistan a democracy that craved a McDonald's and Starbucks on every corner is a bridge too far...