• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

International Burn a Qu'ran Day

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I've heard about ten different figures in the media WRT how much oil the US consumes and how much it produces.

MasterBates

We are the main helium exporter in the world, and that comes from natural gas wells mostly.

Refined products we are a net exporter of but we still are a net petroleum importer because we import mostly crude oil but generally only export refined products.

/petroleum engineer rant

Sent from my PH44100 using Tapatalk

jcj

Ok seriously now, lets just leave... No nuking the fuck outa them, just leave. Let them figure it out on their own

Maybe nukem if they find large amounts of oil (cause apparently we don't have any here)

This - I'm not advocating "nuking" anyone - I'm just saying leave - get our people the hell out of there now. The "nation building" can't succeed when they don't want to build their own nation and they can't keep their police/military/etc from murdering our own people who are supposed to be there to try to help them.

Besides there's no need to kill anyone else over there - they'll kill each other plenty as soon as the external support leaves and their government falls apart. So be it.

As a taxpayer, I don't want another damn cent spent over there for anything except keeping our own people safe while we get them home. Now.

If another need for military force arises there in the future, I am sure our team will be up to the challenge.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
This - I'm not advocating "nuking" anyone - I'm just saying leave - get our people the hell out of there now. The "nation building" can't succeed when they don't want to build their own nation and they can't keep their police/military/etc from murdering our own people who are supposed to be there to try to help them.

Besides there's no need to kill anyone else over there - they'll kill each other plenty as soon as the external support leaves and their government falls apart. So be it.

As a taxpayer, I don't want another damn cent spent over there for anything except keeping our own people safe while we get them home. Now.

If another need for military force arises there in the future, I am sure our team will be up to the challenge.
In case you haven't noticed, that's kind of the plan. It just doesn't happen overnight.

sodajones

Combat Engineer
Article on wnd.com discussing POTUS ambiguous statement about punishing the book burners and NATO's statement saying they would be prosecuted in A-Stan. Scary stuff.

jcj

In case you haven't noticed, that's kind of the plan. It just doesn't happen overnight.

I have noticed - that the current plan is 2014, supposedly after we've trained 'em up to run their own nice, safe pleasant country in the modern world. Seems like the evidence is pretty quickly adding up that the current plan is BS.

I understand we can't get out overnight. But we can do better than two more years. If they want help, they need to get on the team. How many more ISAF troops & other westerners - supposedly there to help "nation build" - are you OK with the Afghan military & security forces murdering? They're up to about 60+ so far.

At that rate, probably only about 100 more dead American & allies until we leave in 2014. I'm talking about advisers & the like being murdered on Afghan bases & in Afghan government facilities by people in the government we're trying to help, not military deaths in combat operations)

I'm just not OK with that - & we can do better than 2014.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I have noticed - that the current plan is 2014, supposedly after we've trained 'em up to run their own nice, safe pleasant country in the modern world. Seems like the evidence is pretty quickly adding up that the current plan is BS.

I understand we can't get out overnight. But we can do better than two more years. If they want help, they need to get on the team. How many more ISAF troops & other westerners - supposedly there to help "nation build" - are you OK with the Afghan military & security forces murdering? They're up to about 60+ so far.

At that rate, probably only about 100 more dead American & allies until we leave in 2014. I'm talking about advisers & the like being murdered on Afghan bases & in Afghan government facilities by people in the government we're trying to help, not military deaths in combat operations)

I'm just not OK with that - & we can do better than 2014.
It's not as black and white as you would portray. I don't think we retain the illusion that Afghanistan will become a shining liberal democracy anytime soon. That said, there is value in setting Afghanistan up for as much success as they're likely to have - that means continuing to train their security forces. This is obviously not without risk to our personnel. Don't make the mistake of interpreting US policy as us "doing a favor" for an ungrateful Afghanistan. We're continuing to expend blood and treasure because in the calculus done at the various levels of leadership, a more stable Afghanistan is ultimately in the national security interests of the US. We're going to have a significant support presence in Afghanistan (I've heard the 20K number thrown around recently) for years to come (way beyond 2014). The more we're able to set them up now, the easier their job will be going forward.

Brett

jmcquate

Contributor
It's not as black and white as you would portray. I don't think we retain the illusion that Afghanistan will become a shining liberal democracy anytime soon. That said, there is value in setting Afghanistan up for as much success as they're likely to have - that means continuing to train their security forces. This is obviously not without risk to our personnel. Don't make the mistake of interpreting US policy as us "doing a favor" for an ungrateful Afghanistan. We're continuing to expend blood and treasure because in the calculus done at the various levels of leadership, a more stable Afghanistan is ultimately in the national security interests of the US. We're going to have a significant support presence in Afghanistan (I've heard the 20K number thrown around recently) for years to come (way beyond 2014). The more we're able to set them up now, the easier their job will be going forward.

Brett
I agree Brett. It's not Black and White, it's ROYGBIV. In my humble opinion the 800 lbs gorrilla in the room are the Pakastanies, in particular some high ranking India obsessed ISI types. Until they get on board with whatever the plan is (and they won't), I don't see this ending well but I still have hope.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The Pakistanis aren't "on board" because they're hedging their bets that the US won't fully commit to the area (which we aren't/shouldn't). This lets them have some semblance of a working relationship with the Taliban, who like it or not, will regain a degree of power (political and military) once we're gone. We have a reputation (sometimes deserved) for not finishing what we start. Pakistan is simply making a rational calculation based on that reality. It's not particularly helpful to our cause, but you can't really blame them for acting in their own best interests.