• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Interesting incident...

Old R.O.

Professional No-Load
None
Contributor
Tacna is on the northern border of the Barry Goldwater range and is just east of Yuma.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
There was also a nasty little dirt strip along side I-8 at Tacna. For years there were a couple broken down airplanes parked there. No high terrain for miles. Can be very dark at night. Tacna is very small. Just couple dozen old clapboard houses and mobil homes. Doesn't make much light.

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
There was also a nasty little dirt strip along side I-8 at Tacna. For years there were a couple broken down airplanes parked there. No high terrain for miles. Can be very dark at night. Tacna is very small. Just couple dozen old clapboard houses and mobil homes. Doesn't make much light.
Yeah, I remember that airstrip well from my many weekend auto roundtrip PHX-SAN-PHX in the '80s/'90s to visit my kids. It was a crop duster base only yards south of, and adjacent to I-8. Had a huge flat bed trailer loaded with empty pesticide tins, wreckage of a duster or two, and several of what appeared to be operable duster aircraft.:)

Wondering how the Tacna area dirt strip is tied into this somewhat unusual & bizarre accident?;)
BzB

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Is that strip the one that is labeled "TACTS airfield"....as in the one just on the other side of that first set of mountains due east of cactus west and Yuma?

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Is that strip the one that is labeled "TACTS airfield"....as in the one just on the other side of that first set of mountains due east of cactus west and Yuma?

No. Tacts airfield is in the 2301w. Tacna is north of the range.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
No. Tacts airfield is in the 2301w. Tacna is north of the range.

Ahh gotcha. Missed that part (it being out of the range). As an aside, I miss that place. Obviously Fallon is a good place too, but having that place in your backyard is just incomparable to anything we have out east. I'm sure you remember from NKT.

ChunksJR

Retired.
pilot
Contributor
Certainly eerie. I will tell you, however, that if you do enough research, you'll find some very interesting NTSB reports...and a few that make you go "hmmmm..."

I read all 246 fatal helicopter accidents (US civil) from Sep 2002-Sep 2012 for data for my Masters Thesis. My favorite was this one: http://www.ntsb.gov/aviationquery/brief.aspx?ev_id=20100621X31143&key=1

Actually laughed while reading it, it's so asinine.
That link isn't working for me. Anyone else?