• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Interest in OCS

BlueSky94

As far as leadership is concerned, I haven't done much except tutoring students for a semester and becoming assistant head of the Ad club my sophomore year. I've been concerned about this since OCS puts a lot of weight on leadership potential.

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
Just for reference:
I was a 3.02 (Animal Science)
58/5/5/5
I got in as an SNFO on a special board on my third try.
The bear is in the paperwork. If you are serious about OCS, go talk to an OR, take the test, put together a package, and submit. The worst they (the board) can say is no, and you will have done the hard part. Improving your score, updating a package, crafting a letter for purpose of reconsideration is much easier than the original package.
Pickle

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
It sounds like you're already doubting yourself for talking to a recruiter and potentially submitting an OCS application down the road. Your chances of getting selected are 0% if you don't submit an application. You have nothing to lose and for Pilot/NFO programs the biggest factor for consideration will be your ASTB scores, followed by your GPA.

BlueSky94

It sounds like you're already doubting yourself for talking to a recruiter and potentially submitting an OCS application down the road. Your chances of getting selected are 0% if you don't submit an application. You have nothing to lose and for Pilot/NFO programs the biggest factor for consideration will be your ASTB scores, followed by your GPA.

What bothers me is that so many members here report excellent leadership positions such as: fraternity head, business manager, TAs, etc. The best I've ever held was assistant-head of the advertising club at my college.

I recognize GPA/ASTB scores to be the most important, but leadership is also critical considering the nature of a Navy officer. I'll talk to a recruiter in a few days about starting my OCS application

BlueSky94

You are talking to a recruiter... Just now... Likely more knowledgeable than any recruiter you'd talk to face to face. He says ASTB matters most... Boom fact.

Oh. My mistake for not realizing that. The internet makes things ridiculously convenient! Aside from that, I'll try to schedule up an ASTB for December/early January.

My study plan will start in November and I'll target my weak area of the exam, which are aviation/nautical and reading. I aced the spatial test 25/25 in just 5 minutes when I tested myself so that's my strongest area.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Oh. My mistake for not realizing that. The internet makes things ridiculously convenient! Aside from that, I'll try to schedule up an ASTB for December/early January.

My study plan will start in November and I'll target my weak area of the exam, which are aviation/nautical and reading. I aced the spatial test 25/25 in just 5 minutes when I tested myself so that's my strongest area.

I just had an NFO applicant get selected with a 2.7 GPA with a stellar ASTB score. No previous leadership experience/college involvement and works at Buffalo Wild Wings. No offense to anyone working at BDubs on here, just saying that you don't have to be class president/valedictorian in order to apply.

exNavyOffRec

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0iyNZ5I69XLOTk2ODV2UnI1djg/preview

Just found an interesting report on selectees for various boards. I won't take this by heart, but is it true that GPA is only 4 points out of the 20 point package for Pilot/NFO? I don't think someone with an abysmal GPA (2.5 <) would have a sort even with a stellar ASTB score.

Interesting data, some things, those with GPA less then 2.5 will not go to board as they don't meet the minimum GPA, so a person with a GPA less than 2.5 wouldn't be factored in, the minimums for SWO have changed now, and a PQ letter is now required, so that will change some of the dynamics. The other thing is a 50% selection is kind of high, it was the beginning of high selection rates for a bit.

BlueSky94

I spoke to the officers and recruiters in the Rio Grande Valley and they all told me to wait until the end of Junior year to take the ASTB since the scores are valid for only 2 years (like ASVAB).

However I've been speaking with a recruiter in Houston for the past 3 months and he'd be happy to test me starting the Spring term of next year, since I'm transferring to UH.

And yeah, stats are 0% without an application submitted, but with this new data on the Pilot/NFO boards I found, I'll make sure I place lots of emphasis on ASTB studying to secure a great score on the first try.

16/16 points for the whole ASTB is already a golden seal on the package.

exNavyOffRec

I spoke to the officers and recruiters in the Rio Grande Valley and they all told me to wait until the end of Junior year to take the ASTB since the scores are valid for only 2 years (like ASVAB).

However I've been speaking with a recruiter in Houston for the past 3 months and he'd be happy to test me starting the Spring term of next year, since I'm transferring to UH.

And yeah, stats are 0% without an application submitted, but with this new data on the Pilot/NFO boards I found, I'll make sure I place lots of emphasis on ASTB studying to secure a great score on the first try.

16/16 points for the whole ASTB is already a golden seal on the package.

ASTB scores are good for life, that is why a person can only test 3 times in their lifetime (3 versions)

Gator Guard

always knife hands
It might help you set your fears aside to know that I had minimal involvement in activities outside of class and work and I got Pro Rec Y. Make sure you are aware of the differences between the old ASTB and the ASTB-E that is administered now. The old spatial aptitude section on the paper exam is different then the one of the ASTB-E. It threw me off and I believe I could have scored much higher if i hadn't been blindsided by the changes.