• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Intel work as a Pilot

JonTay

Quick background:
I graduated USMC OCS a few months ago and am currently waiting to graduate college/get TBS orders. In the meantime I have nothing to do but ask loads of questions about things I probably cant do anything about anyways.

I initially was considering dropping my Air Contract for a shot at one of those coveted secret-squirrel Intel slots at TBS, however after reading through the forums I realized what a bad idea that was. I also kept reading that "It's much easier to go from air to ground than ground to air" and "You can still do some intel stuff as a pilot".

My question is this: What kind of intel work can you get into as a Marine pilot?

I'd love to set myself up for a job at the CIA or one of the agencies after the Marines, but I have no idea of what opportunities await me in the fleet.

Thanks for you help, any advice is greatly appreciated.

81montedriver

pilot
If by Intel work as a pilot you mean ISR/MIR, (Intelligence Surveillance Reconnaissance/ Multi Imagery Reconnaissance), then the Marine Corps does not do this. The Air Force Army and Navy have platforms for this mission, but as a pilot, your exposure to the intel side is limited. The aircrew in the back of the platforms are the ones who gather the intel but the pilots are more like chauffeurs. The USMC has UAS's which take part in this mission but the actual operators are enlisted Marines.

Slingblade

Huge Member
pilot
If by Intel work as a pilot you mean ISR/MIR, (Intelligence Surveillance Reconnaissance/ Multi Imagery Reconnaissance), then the Marine Corps does not do this.
I'm not sure what it was I was doing about 90% of the time over in Afghanistan and Iraq then. We do a great amount of ISR when we aren't killing shit.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
If you want to do intel work as a Naval Aviator on a shore tour a good place to start is SPEAR, a component of ONI that was set up specifically to provide aviator-focused intel to the fleet and is staffed mainly by aviators both Navy and Marine. There are also various jobs at a lot three-letter agencies for military folks, depending on what you want to do you can look at certain agencies that have billets. There aren't a lot for Marines at the three letter agencies though and even less for aviators, I have a feeling if you did it it would not be a career-enhancing tour (except maybe ONI) though if you want to transition to a civilian job that wouldn't really matter much.

81montedriver

pilot
I'm not sure what it was I was doing about 90% of the time over in Afghanistan and Iraq then. We do a great amount of ISR when we aren't killing shit.

Got it and understand that a lot of platforms will end up doing this , but it's not your primary mission. However due to your sensor capabilities i understand you can offer a lot to ground forces. I meant more along the lines of an MC-12 or U-28 type aircraft whose sole purpose in life is ISR.

Slingblade

Huge Member
pilot
Got it and understand that a lot of platforms will end up doing this , but it's not your primary mission. However due to your sensor capabilities i understand you can offer a lot to ground forces. I meant more along the lines of an MC-12 or U-28 type aircraft whose sole purpose in life is ISR.
I was kind of saying it tongue and cheek. Was just messing with you. We do spend a lot of time turning JP8 into noise looking for things on the sensor though. Did a police ride along in their helo....and I was pretty convinced I could roll right into that job. They essentially do what we do....except every once in awhile we get to actually shoot something.

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
Got it and understand that a lot of platforms will end up doing this , but it's not your primary mission. However due to your sensor capabilities i understand you can offer a lot to ground forces. I meant more along the lines of a P-3, MC-12 or U-28 type aircraft whose sole purpose in life is ISR.
FIFY

Cobra Commander

Awesome Bill from Dawsonville
pilot

Like if SCAR and AR were a mission essential task of the HMLA...or if VMAQ did ES...and yes, I am a douche.

azguy

None
The Navy has a decent number of billets for junior officers to work at many of the three letter agencies in the DC area doing analysis work as a shore tour. I assume the Marines have the same options, as these are general warfare officer jobs for the most part- not service or community specific. Maybe not the most career enhancing job for a Marine pilot to take, but a good choice if you want to transition to the Intel Community on the civilian side.

Aside from IC jobs mentioned above, there are also jobs at the COCOM level with an Ops/Intel flavor that may interest you.

Last edited: