• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

INTEL or CRYPTO....HELP!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Creslin

Hi everyone,

I've recently graduated college (B.S. in Computer Science), and I've come to the decision that being an officer in the Navy is what I want to do. I've seen my recruiter, and got somew info. or what Intel and Crypto officers do, but I'm still having trouble deciding which one I want to list as my primary choice. My recruiter says that I have a good chance to do either, so it makes the decision even more difficult!

Anyway, here's some of my desires that I'm trying to base my decision off of...if anyone can offer any advice, it would be much appreciated!

1. I want to know that my work is helping to accomplish military objectives while demanding the least amount of lives possible to do so.

2. I want to use the knowledge that I gained in college (computer science), while still learning lots of new things.

3. I want to learn skills that will help me get a job with an agency like CIA, NSA, or FBI after my military career.

4. I want a position that will challenge, and stimulate my intellect.

If anyone can offer any advice, it would be much appreciated!

NeoCortex

Castle Law for all States!!!
pilot
Go for Intel, its more of an anylist job, and that sounds like more of what you want. Crypto is just changing data over.

twidget

Deskaholic
Originally posted by NeoCortex
Go for Intel, its more of an anylist job, and that sounds like more of what you want. Crypto is just changing data over.

REALLY?

One of the officers I interviewed with, an Intel CDR said his community has become a real bore recently. Seems like all they're ever doing is compile and manipulate data gathered by other sources (i.e. Crypto). He said if he had to do it over again, he would have gone Crypto.

Maybe some Intel or Crypto officers can weigh in with their opinions on the differences, pros and cons of each, etc.

WFU2USN

Hi All,

In my experience (as an enlisted IS these days), the enlisted do a lot of the analyst work and the officers supply the management support. As far as the Intel field becoming a bore...I believe that depends on the command you belong to because I know we stay sufficiently busy.

IS1(SCW)

NeoCortex

Castle Law for all States!!!
pilot
From the guy I talked to he loved his job and wouldn't have gone into a different field. I guess it's up to the indv. person.

Ben

Creslin

Thanks for all the info guys! I think I'm going to go Intel/Crypto (unless I do really bad on the AQR!) because it seems like the Intel field has a larger scope than crypto (at least from what I've read/heard).

dividebyzero

Yes, intel has a much larger scope than crypto...But it's true that intel does end up compiling data gathered mostly by the crypto bubbas.

But, crypto would provide the best opportunities to work with your comp sci degree specifically. The various computer science disciplines and their products are pretty much what crypto is all about. The reason I'm mentioning this is because I hate crypto for the same reasons you might actually find a lot of enjoyment in it.

If you're wanting skills that can transfer to say, CIA, or the other intel agencies, the intel field would be best since crypto pretty much starts, stops, and ends all with NSA...although, once again, if you're into the whole crypto game, wouldn't be too bad.

I seriously doubt that initially, in either field, that you'll be given a particularly challenging or rewarding job. This is one of the two main reasons there's such a high turnover rate in this fields. The other being the lure of civilian life with 3x's the pay.

In both fields though, as an officer, you would be providing mostly managerial support.

Status
Not open for further replies.