• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Intel/IW badges?

MrSaturn

Contributor
Yes, but what NSA considers operational may not be the same thing the Navy considers operational.

Yea I could see that happening. I just pulled that off
http://www.npc.navy.mil/Officer/Intelligence_Information/InfoWar/GeneralInfo.htm
So I would hope that would be what the Navy considers operational. But who knows.

On all the stuff I have been reading "Joint" and "Operational" seem to be the big buzz words. I think it goes back to just asking a ton of questions at Corry Station from officers in IW.

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
Yea I could see that happening. I just pulled that off
http://www.npc.navy.mil/Officer/Intelligence_Information/InfoWar/GeneralInfo.htm
So I would hope that would be what the Navy considers operational. But who knows.

On all the stuff I have been reading "Joint" and "Operational" seem to be the big buzz words. I think it goes back to just asking a ton of questions at Corry Station from officers in IW.

Well, "Joint" is a well defined term. Everyone knows what is meant by joing tours, experience, etc. Operational, in this sense, definately means different things to different people.

CaliStyle

So a bunch of my 1st tour colleagues at my command are trying to go to NSA/CSS next. Their reasoning is because they plan on leaving the Navy and are under the impression that having the NSA thing in their resumes will hook them up with lucrative civilian jobs. Is there any truth to this? I've heard a lot of negative things about working at the agency.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
So a bunch of my 1st tour colleagues at my command are trying to go to NSA/CSS next. Their reasoning is because they plan on leaving the Navy and are under the impression that having the NSA thing in their resumes will hook them up with lucrative civilian jobs. Is there any truth to this? I've heard a lot of negative things about working at the agency.

I have never worked at the Puzzle Palace but have worked with many people who have. Right now, if you are in the DC area and get out of the military with a TS SCI clearance (the polygraph stuff from NSA really helps too) you will almost certainly be able to get a well paying intelligence/security/military related job in the DC area. That said, the vast majority of intelligence related jobs are in the DC area, though there is oportunity elsewhere, and that comes with a lot of goods and bads. So, if you want to make a career in intelligence or national security then there reasoning is not too bad, if that is all they want to do........

Personally, I think there is a lot more value to someone who has been there and done that in many areas (though not all) of the intelligence profession than someone who has sat in DC their whole careers. If your Navy career consists of one tour at the Fort then I feel sorry for them.......

And one other thing that you have to keep in mind, but it is very important........All of the above about getting jobs in the intelligence arena here in DC with a clearance has held very true in the last 5-6 years, though I believe NSA has a hiring freeze right now. A lot of people have made a lot of money working contracting gigs and doing intelligence work for the Intelligence Community and the military. I don't think that will be as true in the next few years, especiall with the coming change in administrations. I don't think things will return to the non-hiring days of the 90's but the growing consensus among civilians and contractors where I work right now is that the fat and happy days of contractors are coming to an end in the next 2-3 years. I have already seen evidence of that in cut contracts and some contractors signing up for GS/GG jobs.

Just like Naval Aviation and every other proession out there, the job cycles in intelligence are very cyclical and what is true today may not be true tomorrow, and probably won't be in a few years.

MrSaturn

Contributor
If you intend to stay in remember it's a bunch of URL guys that sit your board and they don't necessarily understand the ins and outs of the agency. They do understand taking hard jobs at sea.

For some reason I always thought it was a group of Officers from your community. That is really good to know.

Flash said:
Personally, I think there is a lot more value to someone who has been there and done that in many areas (though not all)...

I was confused by the "though not all" comment. Mind expanding of that thought :D

As a side note.
I keep hearing that the TS clearance is good. But its value is more because it shows your a good person over the actual need of it to work.

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
I only have a SECRET clearance.. Am I a bad person?

Or am I like Chaotic Good in D&D?

No, I'd say you're just bad because you know about D&D

nerd1.jpg

MrSaturn

Contributor
I only have a SECRET clearance.. Am I a bad person?
now your just putting words in my mouth:eek:. As I understand it part of the clearance checks are that you arent a drug user, your not likely to do underhanded things like sell B-52s to the Russians, your not involved in a DC sex scandel, etc. The logic being if your trusted to handle the countries nuclear secrets its a safe bet you can handle the payroll for a company's employees.

Or am I like Chaotic Good in D&D?

You mean DDX? You lost me.

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
As a side note.
I keep hearing that the TS clearance is good. But its value is more because it shows your a good person over the actual need of it to work.

Negative. The cash value of a clearance is based on actually needing it for the work you do.

I am sure the good character stuff is great, but employers aren't paying you more for it if you don't need it for your job duties.

CaliStyle

NSA is good for a resume and opens up a lot of doors but is pretty much limited to the beltway.

Thanks for the input. What do you think is better for a second tour if one is on the cusp of staying in or getting out? PCS afloat or a tour at the Fort? I don't know how the corporate world would view one or the other. I'm looking at the prospect of going into defense consulting with a large firm like Booz Allen should I chose to get out but don't want to live in the DC area.

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
That said I'll never discourage someone from going to the fleet. It will give you management experience you can't buy not to mention an appreciation for what the Navy really does. Remember though this is just one person's perspective.
I'll second that sentiment. Navy = ships = sea time