• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

intel and languages

steve23

Hey guys, just a quick question. I´m a civilian working on an OCS application for Intel, Crypto and Surface Warfare, and I wanted to hear from some of the Crypto or Intel people out there on how much they use foreign language skills in their jobs. I´m fluent in Spanish and Portuguese and I have a reading knowledge of all the other Romance languages, but I just wondered if I should spend the next year picking up a "strategic" language also, like Chinese, Korean, Arabic, etc.

I know you can´t go into the details and that no two Intel/Crypto officers do the exact same thing, but in general how much of what Intel and Crypto officers do involves languages? Are you looking at satellite photos all day, listening to radio transmissions, reading printed materials?

The reason I ask is that I´m finishing up my master´s in Spanish and Portuguese linguistics this year and have some room for some electives, and I was wondering if it would be best to include in the application that I´ve started taking Arabic or if I should pick up some advanced math courses instead. Thanks in advance.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
steve23 said:
Hey guys, just a quick question. I´m a civilian working on an OCS application for Intel, Crypto and Surface Warfare, and I wanted to hear from some of the Crypto or Intel people out there on how much they use foreign language skills in their jobs. I´m fluent in Spanish and Portuguese and I have a reading knowledge of all the other Romance languages, but I just wondered if I should spend the next year picking up a "strategic" language also, like Chinese, Korean, Arabic, etc.

I know you can´t go into the details and that no two Intel/Crypto officers do the exact same thing, but in general how much of what Intel and Crypto officers do involves languages? Are you looking at satellite photos all day, listening to radio transmissions, reading printed materials?

The reason I ask is that I´m finishing up my master´s in Spanish and Portuguese linguistics this year and have some room for some electives, and I was wondering if it would be best to include in the application that I´ve started taking Arabic or if I should pick up some advanced math courses instead. Thanks in advance.
The vast majority of the linguists in the Navy are in the enlisted ranks. Having said that, learning a "strategic" language certainly wouldn't hurt you, but unles you were able to achieve a reasonable degree of fluency, I don't see it being particularly usefull. Math is also a useless skill for most Naval Officers.

Good times,

Brett

snow85

Come on, the FBI would have given him twins!
there are several things you could do... traffic analysis, translations.... the list is forever long.

pm me-- i've got some contacts, and some info that directly answers your question.

if you were to pick up a difficult language, the prime ones to consider are classical arabic + dialects, farsi, and mandarin and/or cantonese. of course, there are always japanese, russian....

you may want to consider arabic-- the Spaniards stole a lot from the Moors, and sometimes those fluent in Spanish don't find Arabic to be all that difficult.

if you want to take additional classes, (pre-military), take classes geared toward your language interests-- especially culture/history-oriented classes.

just some food for thought.

H60Gunr

don't be an intel weenie or a comm geek or a shoe...that's my advice

Package just submitted has Intel as one selection. I don't want to be an aircrewman the rest of my career. One out of three isn't bad.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
RetreadRand said:
don't be an intel weenie or a comm geek or a shoe...that's my advice.

And who, then, would support you in your chosen field of endeavor, flying? I don't get the guys that are quick to tell some one, whose personal interests , experiences, and motivation they don't know, what to do. Those same guys probably don't know a damn thing about the job they would have someone else reject. I am beginning to believe it is just a matter of building up and validating their choice by denigrating someone elses personal interests. Give the guy some facts to work with and let him make up his own mind. I happen to know intel guys and, yes, even SWOs, who thought their job was rewarding and worthwhile. That their jobs as SWOs or Intel guys or Crypies were not as glamorous as flying or required far more work and less sleep, does not make them inapproriate choices for many many people. If you guys swore everyone off all other jobs except flying we would be in a world of hurt. Who would drive the CV, fix our planes, and support our missions? Those jobs would not be my personal first choice, but I know there are guys out there that would love to contribute that way. So, better them than me.

TurnandBurn55

Drinking, flying, or looking busy!!
None
Is the bonus for language proficiency only available to certain designators?

i.e..... can I, as an NFO, get in on any of that $$$ if I can habla or parle?

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
TurnandBurn55 said:
Is the bonus for language proficiency only available to certain designators?

i.e..... can I, as an NFO, get in on any of that $$$ if I can habla or parle?
It's billet specific vice designator. I'm sure Zab could offer some amplifying information, assuming, of course, that he isn't once again, "indisposed." Speaking of self-disposal, it's time for a smart cocktail! See you b!tches later! :)

Brett

steve23

Thanks for the info guys. If there are any intel officers lurking around that haven´t responded on this thread, it would great to hear from you.

chellorraine

Wife of Intel Applicant - Waiting...
H60Gunr said:
Package just submitted has Intel as one selection. I don't want to be an aircrewman the rest of my career. One out of three isn't bad.

Did I read your post correctly that you just got selected for Intel? Congrats - that's a very selective board right now. It sounds like Intel isn't your first choice, but I hope you see it as the honor it is. :)

steve23

wink said:
I happen to know intel guys and, yes, even SWOs, who thought their job was rewarding and worthwhile. That their jobs as SWOs or Intel guys or Crypies were not as glamorous as flying or required far more work and less sleep, does not make them inapproriate choices for many many people.

Dumb question: So does this mean SWO is not a job that people want to have? I thought learning about navigation and driving a big-a$$ ship might be pretty cool.

snow85 -- check your PM

H60Gunr

Hey Chellorraine - I have not been selected for Intel. My package is currently being reviewed and from what I understand, the Board meets sometime in July. My choices were NFO/AMDO/Intel. Are you applying as well?