• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Intel and IW to merge?

erinbynight

erinbynight
Well its been a few weeks since anyone has posted on this thread. Has anyone heard ANYTHING from/about the intel boards? CUBoulder, have you heard about pro-rec yet? I am still waiting, and the last information I had was that intel boards were meeting the 2nd or 3rd week in February.

bbell

I just spoke to my recruiter and he said he was as much in the dark about everything as me. This is unacceptable and quite discouraging to say the least. I'll keep everyone posted if I hear anything.

Brady

BP12

I emailed my recruiter last week and he said the unofficial word is that they may have a decision for pro-rec around the 15th of February. He went down to TN to check on applications. He also said the good news was that my application hadn't been deleted like some others had. Not for sure what that means....

bbell

Officer recruiters use the PORT system to track your application. If your record is in the system and has not been deleted, then you meet the min. qualifications for the program.

The Chief

Retired
Contributor
There is a lot going on in the Intel community. Plans are to merge GumShoes and Cryppies - 163X and 161X into one 160X, URL warfare community. See crypto post.

Have patience!

psrogers

Intel Officer
Wow. I remember when I used to check this forum almost nightly. I was in OCS class 14-04 and graduated from NIOBC in October 04. Now I'm an intel officer on the USS Nimitz and it is pretty good. I'll tell you what, keep trying all of you because the quality of life is a lot better than in most other officer communities and it is a fun and interesting job.

It took me about a year and a quartef from the time I finally submitted my package to when I finally went to OCS, so do not give up.

bbell

psrogers,

What type of orders did your classmates receive out of NIOBC? Did anyone go to a SEAL Team? Was anyone prior service in your class? What was a typical day in training like (length, duty sections, etc..)? I'm just trying to gather as much info. as possible to be informed and have realistic expectations. Thanks for taking time out of your busy schedule and helping out.

Brady

Logico

My path to BDCP acceptence

I am currently in the BDCP program for Intel and will begin OCS in February 2006. For those interested I will briefly summarize how I got accepted and offer some advice based upon my experience for what it is worth.

So-called ‘stats’
OAR = 43
GPA = 3.0
Degree in ‘Philosophy’ from University of Missouri—Kansas City
PT = average score (at least for a 28 year old :) )

My OAR was low because I didn’t know about the ASTB.gouge files available here on Airwarriors. So I took the test pretty much with no studying. My recruiter told me that I would have to get higher than that so I studied and re-took the test and got another 43. Like any average, my GPA hides the fact that if you look at my transcript there are several semesters when I began college where I failed a bunch of classes. Recent semesters are all A’s. I made a point in my motivation statement to explain that. It is difficult to know whether my degree in ‘Philosophy’ helped or hurt me since most people (including most of you reading this) have no idea what the field consists of.

On this web-site it seems that people often assess the probability of themselves and others getting accepted into BDCP using these three ‘stats’. This is a big mistake. Look at my stats…they aren’t outstanding. So how did I get in?

1. I got VERY STRONG education related letters of recommendation from 4 of my professors.

2. I got VERY STRONG professional letters of recommendation from my previous boss at my previous employer.

3. I got VERY STRONG letters of recommendation relating to my overall character from some fellow employees and friends of the family (one of whom was ex-Navy).

4. My recruiter contacted a Naval Intelligence Officer stationed at an Army War College close to where I live and set up a face to face interview between him and me. I met with LCDR ________ for about 1 ½ hours. It was exactly like a job interview. I was in a tie, resume in hand, list of questions in hand, etc. He gave me an OUTSTANDING recommendation to supplement my package.

5. My recruiter contacted another Naval Intelligence Officer who conducted a 20 minute telephone interview with me. He gave me HIGH recommendations and that further enhanced my package.

6. I included in my motivation statement some examples of some research that I have been doing with some data that was given to me by one of my Political Science professors on the Israeli-Palestinian conflict. Using this data I constructed a statistical model (regression model for those 'in the know') linking the number of suicide bombings by Palestinians with the number of Israeli deaths by all attack types. I provided a nice little chart and summary illustrating the model in my motivation statement. I’m sure that having this in my motivation statement made me stand out.

7. I included with my packet a 13 page paper I wrote for a political science class I took on ‘Terrorism and Political Violence’ covering the major theories of repression/rebellion and how to deal with terrorists. I don’t know if they read it but that must have shown them that I am aware of what is going on in the world and have taken courses dealing with social theory.

8. Perhaps most importantly, I worked at an aircraft manufacturer (Learjet) for 4 ½ years as a Quality Analyst. During that time I acquired significant leadership experience, training (e.g. statistical analysis, problem-solving, root-cause analysis, team organization, projects, etc.), as well as practical know-how (e.g. experience using Word, Excel, Access, SQL-based queries, databases in general, web-sites, MINITAB). I am also a member of the American Society for Quality and have attended several training conventions and seminars.

9. I included in my resume any extra curricular activities that I could think of. For instance, I participate in the martial arts and help teach at a school. This shows some leadership as well as the ability to train and progress. Also, I included any of my professional events like when I attended a week long conference put together by the American Society for Quality. I even listed the titles of the one-hour seminars I attended during that conference.

In all, I would say that I spent a significant amount of time on EACH and EVERY part of my packet so that weak sections (like my OAR) would be off-set by strong sections. I don’t have time to go into this but I actually was rejected the first time and fixed what they had a problem with (GPA related) and then re-submitted again. The entire process took me 13 months! You have to be VERY patient and VERY persistent to get into Intel BDCP.

Turnaround Times

1st Submission on September 22, 2003
Got rejected by Intel board December 11, 2003

2nd Submission on May 14, 2004
Received Final Acceptance June 25, 2004

Advice (if it helps anyone): Take EVERY piece of your packet seriously. Make EACH piece as valuable as you can. They are really going to look at your “whole person” not just your OAR, GPA, and degree. Try to get an interview with an Intel Officer (in person if possible). This is particularly true if you are like me and you interview well in person.

I hope this post helps someone.

Thanks.

bbell

Hello Everyone,

Well, it's March 2nd and still no word on my application for Intel and Crypto. If anyone has even a rumor of a rumor, I would like to hear it. Thanks.

cindy

bbell said:
Hello Everyone,Well, it's March 2nd and still no word on my application for Intel and Crypto. If anyone has even a rumor of a rumor, I would like to hear it. Thanks.

Lot going on in the Intel community with consolidation, command restructure and personnel revamp. As you know, the Navy is merging crypto (1610) and Intel (1630) (and some others) into on group, designator 1600. Understand it will be URL.

cindy

UInavy said:
... that'd be a big change for the community. ....

Histroric times. CNO has made decision for an Information Operations Warefare a community on par with Air, Subsurface, Subs. Will require merging together the 1610 and 1630, into the new 1600 designator as URLs and establishing a Naval Network Warfare Command as single USN command for command, control communication, computers and intelligence. A four stripper 1610 gave some of his thought in the Crypto thread if you wanna jump. He got pummeld for doing it but that is life.

Eagle81

pro rec'ed for intel...
final documentation is in

Off to OCS on 4 June 2005 for Intel. As I explained in an earlier post, being an Eagle Scout is what got the attention of the selection officer. Additionally, my degree was in physics from Carleton College, 3.15 GPA, one year of physics grad school (before I quit to join the Navy), OAR of 66, 1540 SAT, 1450 GRE, and an article in Optics Communications (a physics/EE journal) on research I had done. I had letters from two physics professors and an IR professor. I made sure to go through my entire application very very carefully, and was patient through the whole process. Additionally, I had to convince an Intel Officer in a phone interview that I was truly interested, as I had listed Intel as a 3rd choice behind EOD and Spec Warfare. I turned in my application in Septembe 04r, was pro-rec'd in Nov, went to MEPS in early January 05, and received final documentation in early March.

bbell

Hello Everyone,

I'm still in the holding pattern and was wondering if anyone had any news lately. I know the Intel board must be active, I've heard of a few turned down by Intel in the last few weeks and one pro-rec. My recruiter is telling me that if I have not been turned down by now, it's a good thing. I just hope that I will have an answer by the end of this month.

Good luck to all!

bbell

Well, I found out today that I was non-select for Intel and Crypto back in November! This whole process has been extremely distressing to say the least. However, I have not given up. I have one last hope for selection and if it materializes, I will submit my 3rd and final application.

Good Luck All.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
That sucks. Not just the obvious non select, I'm sorry dude, but not finding oout until now!! I am embaressed for Navy Recruiting. What is thier excuse?