• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Instrument Rating prior to OCS

paddybh1583

OCS 6 OCT 2013
Good Morning AW. I am a Pro-Rec NFO living in Southern California.

From reading other threads about the NFO pipeline I have noticed many training flights include instrument flights. With that said I was wondering if the monetary investment into getting an instrument rating prior to OCS is worth it?

I know an instrument rating will benefit me as a pilot regardless. However, working at a FBO does not equal having a fat wallet thus forcing me to wake wise decisions with my money.

KBayDog

...working at a FBO does not equal having a fat wallet thus forcing me to wake wise decisions with my money.

You just answered your own question.

You're already involuntarily "investing" in your Navy-funded instrument training via the forced seizure of your income your income taxes.

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor

From reading other threads about the NFO pipeline I have noticed many training flights include instrument flights. With that said I was wondering if the monetary investment into getting an instrument rating prior to OCS is worth it?
NO!
I know an instrument rating will benefit me as a pilot regardless. However, working at a FBO does not equal having a fat wallet thus forcing me to wake wise decisions with my money.
As a SNFO, you will receive all the instrument training you will need.. on Uncle's dime. Financing a civilian instrument rating prior to OCS, would probably put you behind the 8-ball financially, for years into the future.

As the legendary Marine Aviator KBay said, "You just answered your own question"!;)
BzB

yakboyslim

None
No. Only get it when you want it for you as a private pilot, and chances are you will not have the time to use it/keep it current for awhile anyway. You will not be at any advantage. The Navy teaches everything you need to know. Everyone makes their own success based on the work they do in training, and it has nothing to do with prior experience.

paddybh1583

OCS 6 OCT 2013
You're already involuntarily "investing" in your Navy-funded instrument training via the forced seizure of your income your income taxes.

ahhh... so that's where the federal deductions go!!!

No. Only get it when you want it for you as a private pilot, and chances are you will not have the time to use it/keep it current for awhile anyway. You will not be at any advantage. The Navy teaches everything you need to know. Everyone makes their own success based on the work they do in training, and it has nothing to do with prior experience.
This is what I was trying to get at. I wasn't sure how advantageous it was to come in with prior instrument knowledge.

Thank you for all the responses. It looks like I will let my years of contributing to the federal budget fund the rest of my training.

KBayDog

It looks like I will let my years of contributing to the federal budget fund the rest of my training.

When did we get one of those? ;)

Good luck with your training/prep. Make sure you're not a stranger around here - there's nearly a decade and a half of good info on this site!

paddybh1583

OCS 6 OCT 2013

Good luck with your training/prep. Make sure you're not a stranger around here - there's nearly a decade and a half of good info on this site!

Thank you. I'm a big fan of AW and I appreciate all of the information and advice that is shared.

jtmedli

pilot

Definitely not worth it. Take it upon yourself to download the instrument flying handbook and read that. The AIM chapter about instrument approaches is actually a decent read also if you want to get an idea of how VORs, Tacans, GPS, etc... work.

The best thing you can do is let a good flight instructor know your situation and get some sim time on a PCATD or some other instrument sim. Get him to teach you how use the instruments and fly the airways, approaches (roughly, of course). Shouldn't take more than 10 hours of sim time with some good instruction to learn the basics. Getting a whole rating wont help at all, but knowing how to roughly 'fly the needles' a little could definitely make things a little easier in primary.

jtmedli

pilot

I'd be willing to argue there's just over 100 years worth of great naval aviation info on here. ;)

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
So to summarize what others have told you:

Save your money for beer, food, or other niceties.

If you want to learn some instrument stuff;

Self study instrument basics via AIM/FAR, or other downloadable FREE sources (CNATRA)?

Ask for some basics as well as practice In a sim with an instructor.

You will learn plenty of instrument stuff in the Navy that you can apply in the civilian world.

-ea6bflyr ;)

paddybh1583

OCS 6 OCT 2013
So to summarize what others have told you:

Save your money for beer, food, or other niceties.

If you want to learn some instrument stuff;

Self study instrument basics via AIM/FAR, or other downloadable FREE sources (CNATRA)?

Ask for some basics as well as practice In a sim with an instructor.

You will learn plenty of instrument stuff in the Navy that you can apply in the civilian world.

-ea6bflyr ;)

It looks like I will review and study some instrument ground and save my money. Thanks again for all of the input on this thread. AW is proving to be a valuable resource.

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
It looks like I will review and study some instrument ground and save my money. Thanks again for all of the input on this thread. AW is proving to be a valuable resource.

If you already have your PPL, you can use your GI bill for additional flight training outside of the Navy and have that funded...

dilbert123

pilot
Speaking as a former flight instructor I can tell you that my worst students were the ones with prior civilian experience. There are too many bad habits you can pick up out there. A civilian flight instructor, for the most part, will teach you to fly the particular aircraft he is teaching in. Military pilots will go on to fly much more sophisticated aircraft with different flight characteristics. What I taught in Primary wasn't all that necessary for the aircraft we were in, but it was all to prepare my student for bigger, faster and better things. Save your efforts for the real thing and work your ass off when it comes time. I much preferred to start a student from scratch, one who had no prior experience. Learn it the Navy Way and you'll be all the better for it.

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
There is also nearly a decade of half-good info on this site too.

But it's all good in the neighborhood. :cool:

Good luck!

bcort

Agree with everyone else that has commented. I'd say instruments is one of the most in depth things taught in primary. The FTI was terrible, but plenty of different ways to practice (RIOT Trainer, 2B47, SIM). They work you up little by little. No need to get an instrument rating before you get to primary.